Rob Lewis on Aidoo

I know he had a rough few games but we wouldn’t be here without Aidoo just in the Texas game alone much less the season as a whole. I also agree he looked disinterested, shell shocked, nervous, and maybe all of these things last couple of games. I also know he took 3 HARD falls in the Texas game, one where he definitely hit his head, so I wonder if he is hurt or under the weather.
I like the kid and hope he is a Vol for his entire career.
I don't think anyone who's being realistic is saying they want a 7' center off the roster, but I'm starting to think it's more a case of the 7' center not wanting to be on this roster. He's shown what he's capable of and yes, he's had some nights where he kinda no showed, but he's been far more consistent this season overall. I had him as #3 in the guys we depend on offensively on this roster. What he pulled at the end of this season is a head scratcher for a guy who's thought to be a returning starter/leader next season. The only explanation that fits is that he won't be. It's the new era of "me first". NIL over brothers. I think he's gone. Still, if he doesn't want to be a part of this anymore, I'm fine with him leaving. That will be the final connection so to speak between the Plavi, ON roster and the Vescovi, JJJ roster. When he's gone, we have new examples in the locker room and fresh blood on the roster. Mix in the right kinds of players from the portal, and it wouldn't surprise me to see us put a really tough, solid team who's more consistent on the floor next season. Appreciate JJJ, Vescovi and Aidoo for what they've accomplished in their times here, but I'm more than ready to turn the page. I'll miss Knecht because he's special, and he brought it every single game. The others....not so much.

Reactions: Native Orange
Yep, this quote from Mashack, who appears to be Aidoo's closest buddy on the team, screams of players being checked out...

"I'm extremely proud of this team. They've given everything they could. Every player on this team gave their all to the team. I think that's all you can ask for. And the way we went down, we went down fighting, for sure. We went down doing whatever we could in order to win, despite what the result was. You can say what you want about us, man, but we did everything we could to win.

"Everybody in here did everything they could to win. Whether you disagree with what moves we made or what, we did everything we could to win. I think that's something people have to realize when they're talking about teams and criticizing teams and what they should or shouldn't do. We did everything we could to win the game. That's all that matters. So regardless of what happened … it happened. We're here now.

"Now we just have to stop thinking about it. It's just hard to."
No offense, but how do you get players being "checked out" from those quotes? Sounds like just the opposite. Am I missing something? As for checked out, that makes sense with Aidoo. He certainly has the look of a guy who's already out the door. And if so, I won't bemoan his departure one little bit.

No offense, but how do you get players being "checked out" from those quotes? Sounds like just the opposite. Am I missing something? As for checked out, that makes sense with Aidoo. He certainly has the look of a guy who's already out the door. And if so, I won't bemoan his departure one little bit.

I was being sarcastic, replying to someone who suggested Aidoo had checked out. Perhaps some of our fans' brains checked out then we lost.

Edey wasn't too big for him. The stage was too big for him. When he didn't fumble the ball he was missing wide open 5-10 footers.
It's a holistic effort for the coaches and the team psychologist to help prepare these young men where needed and where accepted.

stage fright was definitely in play here and everyone witnessed this.

pray for JAidoo to recover, learn and put this time behind him.

Sorry you didn't see my facetiousness in my comment. I dont REALLY think Barnes hates big men, but it's funny he's never had one here. If so, maybe I missed him. Can you remind me?
Your constant comments would make it impossible to determine when you are being facetious. Not hearing any voice inflection or being able to see body language or facial expressions makes it unlikely for others to know, as well. I’ll stop right there before encouraging you to take a more positive approach to life.

And with Grant they didn't make the FF either. When you see the champ teams be so dominate like Purdue and Uconn... I wonder if Tenn can truly ever get there. Barnes only has a few years left. Can we realistically expect a better (or luckier) coach after him?
Not all on Barnes though. Aidoo, JJJ and Z all missed mid range shots that scholarship athletes should make and normally do. Not to mention missed free throws. Very easily could have won that game yesterday even with Lurch’s performance and special treatment.

Not all on Barnes though. Aidoo, JJJ and Z all missed mid range shots that scholarship athletes should make and normally do. Not to mention missed free throws. Very easily could have won that game yesterday even with Lurch’s performance and special treatment.
Totally agree, had even one of our other normally productive players, other than Knecht shown up and produced we likely win this game.

Welp, anyone can play well against lesser competition. Aidoo is lacking the substance of wanting to compete vs better players. NO "I'll show you" in him.

Agree, he always seems intimidated by good bigs he has to go against. You can tell when he doesn't want to mix it up inside when he just shoots midrange jumpers. Edy had him so psyched out he couldn't even catch a pass cleanly.

We have no clue as to what’s going on in Aidoo’s life. He’s been a great player most of the year. Chris Lofton was battling cancer and didn’t tell anyone until way after that season. People shouldn’t be so quick to turn on our players.

I'm really liking Estrella. I thought he played phenomenal against Edey and he has fire in him. Awaka did really well too. You really couldn't ask for much better from either one of those guys against the monster.
Agree....Estrella has a chance to be real good.

Reactions: Voljayton
I agree. Not going to pour on Aidoo anymore than he has already been criticized today. He’s a good player who had a rough last month of the season. We would be hard pressed to find a better big in the portal.
Many of the comments posted here before the game warned that the game would come down to how the ref's let them play, and if our big guys got 2 fouls early it could be a long day for us. I think Aidoo was under sized -- he may not felt comfortable to score on him, but on defense, he clawed, hammered Edey and got 2 fouls somewhat early. that has an effect on how you play

We asked Plavic to leave after last year. And against the majority of our schedule, Aidoo has done well. But against better competition, he’s done zilch. Plavic likely would’ve been an interesting matchup yesterday.

Reactions: Native Orange
I heard Kesling suggest that Aidoo caught the bug that knocked Vescovi out. But that wasn’t as bad as it was when JJJ and ZZ and Alexander were out with injuries in prior NCAATs. Awaka and Estrella were pretty good dealing with a near impossible situation in Edey.

Something was off. I think Aidoo wasn't a great matchup with Edey as well. Edey seemed to have his number.

I felt for Aidoo as I could see a lot of frustration in his face during the game.

Reactions: Rockytop10nessee
Something was off. I think Aidoo wasn't a great matchup with Edey as well. Edey seemed to have his number.

I felt for Aidoo as I could see a lot of frustration in his face during the game.
He had this look on his face like he was getting screwed dry by the refs. Trying his damnedest and Edey just camped out for 8-10 seconds at a time in the paint.

He had this look on his face like he was getting screwed dry by the refs. Trying his damnedest and Edey just camped out for 8-10 seconds at a time in the paint.

Yeah the 5 second has me puzzled. I did not see a lot of the elbowing or fouls by Edey that others keep pointing out on here. I think Edey stood with one foot out of the center to avoid 5 second.

I think the guy has mastered how to not get the fouls and how to draw it from others. I think that is the difference. He tows the line, definitely, but he knows what will be called and what won't.

We asked Plavic to leave after last year. And against the majority of our schedule, Aidoo has done well. But against better competition, he’s done zilch. Plavic likely would’ve been an interesting matchup yesterday.

In a recent interview, JJJ and Vescovi talked about how they tried to convince Uros to stay for one more year. That didn’t sound like we told him to go, but it could’ve been for a walk on spot.

Reactions: Rockytop10nessee

VN Store

Back