Riley Ferguson’s Dad jumping on the pile.....

I am not happy with the state of affairs right now either but to say nobody has developed in 5 years is ridiculous. Dobbs certainly improved tremendously. Barnett got better and better and for that matter so did Josh Malone. There are others who improved like Palardy and Daniel has been better every single year.

Dobbs as a passer never improved. Barnett was a stud from day 1. I watched him at the open practice his freshman year and said from the get go he is the best DL player I had seen at UT in a long time. Malone finally got targeted more. Maybe he had a slight progression. Was that coaching though or his body taking shape? I am not sure I would say Daniel has gotten better. Heck he was good as a freshman. Palardy. Didnt we have him kicking FG's?

I am not happy with the state of affairs right now either but to say nobody has developed in 5 years is ridiculous. Dobbs certainly improved tremendously. Barnett got better and better and for that matter so did Josh Malone. There are others who improved like Palardy and Daniel has been better every single year.

This kid saw the writing on the wall and got the hell out of town. A lot of people questioned him going to the NFL but he obviously saw something that said F this our QBs suck

Would you rather have a drunk Saturday night party boy that throws seven touchdowns on Saturday afternoon or a stone cold sober choir boy that wont even dive for a butt fumble.

I’d rather have had the QB we had the prior four years. Riley wouldn’t have stuck around for the Dobbs show (you know- the kid who WAS drafted and on an NFL Roster), so it’s pretty irrelevant.

Or Riley could’ve stuck around. Dobbs could’ve transferred and developed and thrown 7 TDS against UConn or UCLA (who gave up 45 to a team playing a true freshman at QB in their opening game)

Reactions: 1 person
Are any of these guys contributing to a team that would beat Tennessee? No!

Idiots, you have to lose 25% of every class to make the numbers work. That means bad decisions, kids you take as practice players and those who'd rather use drugs get run off.

Jones is history. Let the man die in peace for heavens sake.

It’s the BFL idiots who cried and blamed a pi$&ed away SEC east title on lack of depth, so which is it.

A. You have to run 25% of your roster off each year and never build a quality depth chart

B. Every one that leaves the program has an attitude problem

C. The one common denominator

Can you imagine a kid like RF calling his dad

Dad: How was practice??

RF: Well the defense worked on a new garbage can gimmick and Coach Jones made all the freshman take "Leadership Reps" with the seniors.

Dad: Did you get to take any snaps??

RF: Very few, Justin was skipping balls all over the turf and Coach Jones felt he deserved more reps with the first team..

Dad: WTF??

It's scary how realistic this probably would've been.

He was 4th on the depth chart behind Worley, Peterman and Dobbs and Dobbs took the job for 3 years. Ferguson decided it was easier to leave than try to compete and win the job. Guess what the NFL is? One big competition for jobs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willinhf View Post
This. Seems I remember even Riley admitting to that in an interview in later years.

The things you're pointing out here, do not prove the father's statement wrong -- father said he's glad his son left (vs staying), and as the father seems to be describing to AD Currie and others: our program is somewhat in other-than-good shape during this period of time (i.e. father seems to be supporting what you're saying: that after all the personal hardships his son brought upon himself and experienced off-the-field, he's glad his son, to this day, is playing in West TN, vs in East TN...and he seems to be "sad" about the current condition of the Tennessee program under Butch Jones)

Read below

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by willinhf View Post
This. Seems I remember even Riley admitting to that in an interview in later years.

The things you're pointing out here, do not prove the father's statement wrong -- father said he's glad his son left (vs staying), and as the father seems to be describing to AD Currie and others: our program is somewhat in other-than-good shape during this period of time (i.e. father seems to be supporting what you're saying: that after all the personal hardships his son brought upon himself and experienced off-the-field, he's glad his son, to this day, is playing in West TN, vs in East TN...and he seems to be "sad" about the current condition of the Tennessee program under Butch Jones)

Best explanation I’ve heard on VolNation for months. You win the prize from Riley’s Pops.

How does Butch make all these people so angry? Every dad thinks his kid is the best, but still- this stuffs looks and sounds bad.

I am very glad that Riley is doing so well in Memphis, so good for him. If you recall after he left UT, he was going to transfer to UNC Charlotte to play with his brother and they told him thanks but no thanks. I am glad things have worked out for the young man. Below is from an article in the tennessean about a year ago.

"So Ferguson returned home to Charlotte, and waited for other colleges to call, other offers to roll in.

But nothing happened. No colleges called. No other offers rolled in.

“I thought once I was home people would try to start contacting me, and that wasn’t the case,” Ferguson said. “No one called. I tried to talk to UNC Charlotte to see if they wanted me, but I guess they were settled with the quarterbacks that they had.”

Understand, Ferguson had been offered by LSU and Michigan before picking Tennessee. Now he couldn’t get a scholarship at UNC Charlotte?"

“I didn’t have any choice,” Ferguson said. “I had to make some money. I went out and got a job.”

Well, he aint wrong.

The only reason Riley Ferguson was not the starter at Tennessee, was Riley Ferguson. The idea of actually being asked to compete for a job was foreign to him when he started here. If he was ever completely honest with himself, he would be appreciative of the lesson he learned here. That lesson is that nothing is ever going to be handed to you, it must be earned. He has earned what he is getting at Memphis. He didn't earn a damn thing here.

VN Store

Back