Rick Barnes Interview on The 700 Club

You know....I love sports. If I didn't, I wouldn't be on here. And id love for us to win it all. It'd be awesome. And there would be huge celebration, and articles about how good we were, and all of that.

And then about 3 hours after the final whistle blew, there would be an article...about next year. And the world would move on.

I say that to just say....there's so much more to life than sports. It's an amazing hobby and has provided a career for a select few, and a discounted/free education for a bigger select few. It has brought me much joy (and pain) in life.

But I am glad we have a coach who realizes that it is only a small piece of life. That relationships, with family, spouse, friends, and God (if you believe) are truly what gives life meaning.

Would love to see this man win a championship and give the ultimate stamp of validity to his awesome career.

You know....I love sports. If I didn't, I wouldn't be on here. And id love for us to win it all. It'd be awesome. And there would be huge celebration, and articles about how good we were, and all of that.

And then about 3 hours after the final whistle blew, there would be an article...about next year. And the world would move on.

I say that to just say....there's so much more to life than sports. It's an amazing hobby and has provided a career for a select few, and a discounted/free education for a bigger select few. It has brought me much joy (and pain) in life.

But I am glad we have a coach who realizes that it is only a small piece of life. That relationships, with family, spouse, friends, and God (if you believe) are truly what gives life meaning.

Would love to see this man win a championship and give the ultimate stamp of validity to his awesome career.

Sure it would be nice for Barnes and the Vols to win a title--but he doesn't need it. It's a fact that we pay FAR, FAR too much attention to college sports in America. Is there even another country in the world that has college sports at all? I think some foreign universities have club teams or rowing team or somesuch--but there is nothing like the insanity in this country. Culturally, we're a very shallow country.

I'm not the least bit religious, nor do I find religious arguments particularly persuasive. Plus, I had to live as a non-religious person in East Tennessee with the annoyance of getting regularly harassed about church groups, conversion, and general proselytizing.

I say this because, regardless, I find Barnes to be a good coach and decent guy, which is all I'm really expecting from him. Be a solid person, don't embarrass us, fans and alumni alike, bring in good players who won't get on the news at 1AM, win some games, and I'm cool. This doesn't seem to be a problem for him and I can't even remember the last issue with any of his players.

All that's left is a few more tourney wins than usual.

For all the post on this site( including my own ) about this team lacking the drive, and about Barnes ceiling for play-off wins, I can still appreciate his bringing the program back into contention. I think if he keeps attracting good talent, one year we're going to wake up and be that team nobody wants to play and win the NC in the process. IMHP that's better than coach shopping every 3 years and constant 'rebuilding '

I'm not the least bit religious, nor do I find religious arguments particularly persuasive. Plus, I had to live as a non-religious person in East Tennessee with the annoyance of getting regularly harassed about church groups, conversion, and general proselytizing.

I say this because, regardless, I find Barnes to be a good coach and decent guy, which is all I'm really expecting from him. Be a solid person, don't embarrass us, fans and alumni alike, bring in good players who won't get on the news at 1AM, win some games, and I'm cool. This doesn't seem to be a problem for him and I can't even remember the last issue with any of his players.

Whenever I read something like this post I am saddened that someones heart has become so hardened to reject the Way to eternal life with God but then I recall the thief on the cross and remember the faith may come yet. Those that are harassing you likely have your eternal being in their thoughts and prayers.

Reactions: WeNeedaQB

Whenever I read something like this post I am saddened that someones hear has become so hardened to reject the Way to eternal life with God but then I recall the thief on the cross and remember the faith may come yet. Those that are harassing you likely have your eternal being in their thoughts and prayers

Whenever I read something like this post I am saddened that someones heart has become so hardened to reject the Way to eternal life with God but then I recall the thief on the cross and remember the faith may come yet. Those that are harassing you likely have your eternal being in their thoughts and prayers.

Nonsense, and thank you for proving my point about annoyances.

Getting off the topic, Barnes is still a great person and coach.

VN Store

Back