Rick Barnes - From a Recruiting Standpoint

Maybe KD happens to be on campus when we host some top rated recruits? If that happened, KD would be da real MVP.

He will utilize the university to its fullest. He will recruit well and I love hearing all he has to say especially him being blessed by the opportunity. We have great facilities and great recruiters. He will do a great job here

He still needs to recruit Tyler Harris out of Providence. All he has to say is "Yo dude, I coached Durant, you guys have similar skillsets, what are you still doing out there!?"

@wesrucker247: Barnes: I obviously will bring some of my Texas staff with me here. We’ll finalize that ASAP.

I think CRB will go get one 5th year in the post, I like the guy from Charlotte, I think he'll go well with the current guys we have assuming they stay on the roster. I also think he'll go get 2 PGs to make this class 5, which would mean we only lost 2 guys. That should make the roster about like this with the people we currently have and some people who's names have come up:

C: Tariq Owens SO/Willie Carmichael SO....Mike Thorne
PF: Jabari Mcgee rsFR/Derek Reese SR....Shonn Miller
SF: Armani Moore SR/Robert Hubbs JR....Admiral
SG: Kevin Punter SR/Devon Baulkman SR....Shembari, Eric Davis
PG: Detrick Mostella SO/Braxton Bonds rsFR....Rob Gray, Trey Lewis

The reason I think Armani will move down to SF is after watching Texas the last couple years they seem to like to go huge in the post with a bigger SF and play 2 PGs who can handle the ball almost equally. I think Armani will still probably have to play a lot in the post due to need but best case scenario we can add 1 or 2 guys who can allow Armani to move to the SF position.

I think CRB will go get one 5th year in the post, I like the guy from Charlotte, I think he'll go well with the current guys we have assuming they stay on the roster. I also think he'll go get 2 PGs to make this class 5, which would mean we only lost 2 guys. That should make the roster about like this with the people we currently have and some people who's names have come up:

The reason I think Armani will move down to SF is after watching Texas the last couple years they seem to like to go huge in the post with a bigger SF and play 2 PGs who can handle the ball almost equally. I think Armani will still probably have to play a lot in the post due to need but best case scenario we can add 1 or 2 guys who can allow Armani to move to the SF position.

Armani doesn't have to play the post next year?!?!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 201
4 stars should be attracted but I agree. Not as many big name guys but still very good players. One of his best players at Texas this year (Isaiah Taylor) was a low 3 star.

I do not agree about not as many big names. Barnes is a winner with a national reputation and still will recruit with best of them. Unfortunately we have just gotten accustomed to lower level recruiting classes. That changed today!!

Reactions: 1 person

Kobe Eubanks will be a Vol.

I do not agree about not as many big names. Barnes is a winner with a national reputation and still will recruit with best of them. Unfortunately we have just gotten accustomed to lower level recruiting classes. That changed today!!

Well I guess I mean this year. In 2016 and 2017 we will be able to recruit a full year

What makes you believe that?

Idk why he thinks that, but before Barnes got fired crystal ball predictions were trending towards Eubanks going to Texas. Then Barnes got fired and now is at Tennessee, so if he was going to Texas because of Barnes then I believe he is a Tennessee lean. Only time will tell.

@kobeeubanks: Just got done chopping it up with Coach Rob Lanier from University of Texas came to see me practice. #BeGreat #sorry4thewait
**Note this tweet was from February and he has visited Texas in March**

I'd say he will be one to watch. 6'5 SG who went to a prep school this year but was committed to Baylor in 2014

Last edited:
Don't want to be a Donnie-Downer, just asking a question:

How much recruiting has he had to do beyond the Texas borders?

For 17 years he's been in a talent-rich state, at the state university. I'm sure he knows how to develop great relationships with high school coaches, but I'm not sure that's gonna pay off here... outside the gated community center of Memphis.

He pulled 2 from Canada, Durante from Maryland. The 15 he put in the NBA don't all hail from Texas. He recruits all over. Check your stats.

Don't bank on Barnes being able to go into Memphis and take his pick if the litter. I live in Memphis and oddly enough most kids grow up wanting to play for Memphis. It's going to be hard going in there and getting a recruit on the regular for any coach. In saying that, right now is the best time to get in there because of the circumstances. The Lawson brothers would be a good start. You might have to bring their father along as Memhis did.

It's certainly been difficult for the Vols to recruit here over the years. But if these kids are paying attention, and I think they are, they have to know that the tenure of Pastner is questionable at best.

Reactions: 1 person
It's certainly been difficult for the Vols to recruit here over the years. But if these kids are paying attention, and I think they are, they have to know that the tenure of Pastner is questionable at best.

I agree that Pastner's tenure is likely up next year but Memphis kids grow up wanting to attend Memphis State (UM) for the youngsters. Doesn't really matter who the coach is. Look back through history at the majority of the so called elite high school kids out of Memphis and the surrounding area dating back as far as Larry Finch. It will be difficult for any coach to consistently pull a kid out of Memphis. Last years senior class was that year with Black, Chiozza and the pg that went to Austin Peay. They only kept Nichols at home.

I agree that Pastner's tenure is likely up next year but Memphis kids grow up wanting to attend Memphis State (UM) for the youngsters. Doesn't really matter who the coach is. Look back through history at the majority of the so called elite high school kids out of Memphis and the surrounding area dating back as far as Larry Finch. It will be difficult for any coach to consistently pull a kid out of Memphis. Last years senior class was that year with Black, Chiozza and the pg that went to Austin Peay. They only kept Nichols at home.

True enough, but I was just hoping that the kids have been watching enough to see that the program is basically a rudder-less ship over the last years. Who knows? Maybe Barnes can snatch a couple. I sure hope so.

True enough, but I was just hoping that the kids have been watching enough to see that the program is basically a rudder-less ship over the last years. Who knows? Maybe Barnes can snatch a couple. I sure hope so.

Jaylen Fisher from Bolton and Nyche Smith from White Station are out there to be had. Malik Hicks from Jackson South Side is out there too.

VN Store

Back