Rick Barnes - From a Recruiting Standpoint

Everything I have read says Roach is a shooting guard. He has also already said he is sticking with Texas.

He can just list all the players he has coached. This hire defintely helps with getting some of the big players in TN for 2016 and 2017.

2016 Basketball Top Tennessee Recruits

Hell Blackwell, Ado, and Fisher and call it a day. That would be a top 25 class right there. Fisher will most likely end up at Memphis though. LWSvol said we had 0 chance at landing Ado while CDT was here, tifwiw. I guess he didn't like CDT?

Reactions: 1 person
Hell Blackwell, Ado, and Fisher and call it a day. That would be a top 25 class right there. Fisher will most likely end up at Memphis though. LWSvol said we had 0 chance at landing Ado while CDT was here, tifwiw. I guess he didn't like CDT?

Yep. I think this hire gets us back into races such as Fisher and Ado. Ado wasn't considering as much because of Donnies past. Rick Barnes is a guy with a lot of character and he is looking like he will be our next coach. Agree with the hire now its time to recruit and get us back on track.

He had fertile recruiting grounds to work with at Texas. It will be interesting to see how he is able to maintain those relationships and such moving forward.

I don't expect him to be the recruiter at Tennessee that he was a Texas, drawing numerous 5 star players and national player of the year winners, but I expect it to be as good or on par with anything Tennessee has ever had from a recruiting standpoint.
I agree. He has plenty of pop in his recruiting pitch. Kids have one goal in hoops. NBA. Barnes has put quite a few into the league.

Yeah, recruiting Memphis may be the most exciting part about Barnes.

We have always had one of the best talent hot spots in the entire country with Memphis, and by in large have failed to recruit it outside Stokes and a few others.

Barnes is the first coach Tennessee has had that may be able to make Memphis his own personal recruiting treasure chest.
Don't bank on Barnes being able to go into Memphis and take his pick if the litter. I live in Memphis and oddly enough most kids grow up wanting to play for Memphis. It's going to be hard going in there and getting a recruit on the regular for any coach. In saying that, right now is the best time to get in there because of the circumstances. The Lawson brothers would be a good start. You might have to bring their father along as Memhis did.

Knoxville is in between some hot beds for recruiting. Atlanta always has talent whether it be Football or Basketball and Memphis is full of recruits.

Also in 2016 we have guys like Ado, Blackwell, and Fisher to go after. Barnes can hit these areas plus the normal Florida and Texas (connections will still be there). We will improve our talent with Barnes at the helm.

Also mentioned this in other thread but seems Eric Davis likes Barnes and his assistants so don't be surprised if he may follow Barnes. If not then the Michigans seem to have the upper hand.

Reactions: 2 people
I think you might have been looking at our recruits. They have 2 from TX and 1 from MI. We have 1 from Marietta, Ga. (Phillips).

The guy I was referring to is Brown. He wasn't a commit. He was just recruited by Barnes and Texas.

So only 60% of his recruits are from TX?

I think you helped make the guys point with this stat.

Considering the size of Texas, I feel him going out of state for almost half his recruits and pretty nationally at that, is a pretty good indication that he can pull kids from elsewhere.

Considering the size of Texas, I feel him going out of state for almost half his recruits and pretty nationally at that, is a pretty good indication that he can pull kids from elsewhere.

That was one of the main criticisms of him I saw mentioned, actually. Texas fans didn't like that he recruited out of Texas. He was more of a national recruiter and let Oubre, Harrisons, Marcus Smart, and others get out of state. In our situation, his tendency to recruit nationally really helps us, in my opinion.

Ado and Blackwell will be a good early test. We need to be able to pull some of the top talent instate consistently. I'll be concerned if he can't.

Getting fired may be the energizing force that gets Barnes back out there to prove others wrong. You know he has to have a chip on his shoulder over this firing.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back