Retro Gaming Thread

I really wish Richard Garriott would get over himself, and either make a modern day Ultima, or let someone like Obsidian make it.

When somebody assassinated him in Ultima Online because he forgot to put his invincibility flag up, its one of the funniest things I've seen in online gaming. But yeah I would like to see a more modern take on Ultima, not just the isometric view. Renting the NES games is still one of my fond gaming memories.

When somebody assassinated him in Ultima Online because he forgot to put his invincibility flag up, its one of the funniest things I've seen in online gaming. But yeah I would like to see a more modern take on Ultima, not just the isometric view. Renting the NES games is still one of my fond gaming memories.

I also remember renting NES and SNES games nearly every weekend. I always went to either “Top Gun Video” or “Showtime” video in the Maryville/Alcoa area. One game I always wanted to try was “Bad News Baseball,” because on the box, it looked entertaining. But at Top Gun Video, that game was always checked out. I thought, “Wow, it must be a really fun game!” One day, I finally asked one of the workers how good that game was, because it was always checked out. She told me, “Oh, actually that one has been lost or stolen for a while.” It was almost a relief to learn that I wasn’t missing out on such an amazing game.

I finally did get to play Bad News Baseball in about 1997 on an emulator. It is actually a very entertaining game. One of the better baseball games on the NES, but not the best.

I also remember renting NES and SNES games nearly every weekend. I always went to either “Top Gun Video” or “Showtime” video in the Maryville/Alcoa area. One game I always wanted to try was “Bad News Baseball,” because on the box, it looked entertaining. But at Top Gun Video, that game was always checked out. I thought, “Wow, it must be a really fun game!” One day, I finally asked one of the workers how good that game was, because it was always checked out. She told me, “Oh, actually that one has been lost or stolen for a while.” It was almost a relief to learn that I wasn’t missing out on such an amazing game.

I finally did get to play Bad News Baseball in about 1997 on an emulator. It is actually a very entertaining game. One of the better baseball games on the NES, but not the best.
I used to frequent both of those haha

Reactions: KoachKrab127
I finally beat Ninja Crusaders on the NES. The last level is absolutely brutal. So, I add a checkmark to NES games I have beaten.

Now I’m wondering which game I should play next. There are lots of classic retro games I have never beaten before, like Zelda: Link to the Past on SNES, or any of the Mega Man games. Any suggestions?

I finally beat Ninja Crusaders on the NES. The last level is absolutely brutal. So, I add a checkmark to NES games I have beaten.

Now I’m wondering which game I should play next. There are lots of classic retro games I have never beaten before, like Zelda: Link to the Past on SNES, or any of the Mega Man games. Any suggestions?

If you haven't played the "Shining Force" series on the Genesis...it is definitely worth a look if you're into strategy/rpg type games. Looking back, that series got me started down the turn-based strategy path which led to Steel Panthers series, Panzer General series, etc.

Reactions: KoachKrab127
Playing the Super NES games and NES games on my Switch, it seems to me that the NES games held up better over time. I wonder if developers didn’t have a great relationship with Nintendo during that period.

Playing the Super NES games and NES games on my Switch, it seems to me that the NES games held up better over time. I wonder if developers didn’t have a great relationship with Nintendo during that period.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone express this sentiment lol. SNES sequels are superior to virtually every NES original, and the SNES library as a whole is vastly superior. The only exception might be SMB3 -> Super Mario World, but even that's a tough one.

I used to like SNES a whole lot better than NES, but in the last 5 years or so, I have played a whole lot of NES games I have never played before, and my appreciation for NES has really increased. The games aren’t always great. Sometimes they are just plain bad, but there is something charming about them, even when they are bad.

Reactions: davethevol
I don't think I've ever heard anyone express this sentiment lol. SNES sequels are superior to virtually every NES original, and the SNES library as a whole is vastly superior. The only exception might be SMB3 -> Super Mario World, but even that's a tough one.
I preferred NES to SNES. THe only game I really liked on SNES was StarFox.

I preferred NES to SNES. THe only game I really liked on SNES was StarFox.

Pugleys Quest on SNES is one of the best games ever. Super Metroid is great too and z super castlevania. Loved you could whip up and grab onto things.

Castlevania 2 on NES is in my top 5 though. Will agree that when the nes hit a home run it was amazing. Metroid still holds strong and the music is eerie as hell.

Pugleys Quest on SNES is one of the best games ever. Super Metroid is great too and z super castlevania. Loved you could whip up and grab onto things.

Castlevania 2 on NES is in my top 5 though. Will agree that when the nes hit a home run it was amazing. Metroid still holds strong and the music is eerie as hell.

Metroid is definitely in my top 5 NES games. I’d probably go:
1. Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out
2. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
3. Super Mario Bros. 2
4. Metroid
5. Super Mario Bros. 3

I’ve never even heard of Pugley’s Quest. I’ll have to look that one up. One amazing thing about retro gaming is even after 35 years, you still learn about new great games today.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack

Did you mean to say “Pugsley’s Scavenger Hunt?”

Reactions: NEO
Pugsley’s Scavenger Hunt looks brutally difficult.

It was. Slightly harder than duck tales on nes and Mickey castle of illusion but less than ghost n goblins or Megaman.

You ever play strider on sega genesis? Loved that game. It was easy but fun.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Metroid is definitely in my top 5 NES games. I’d probably go:
1. Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out
2. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
3. Super Mario Bros. 2
4. Metroid
5. Super Mario Bros. 3

I’ve never even heard of Pugley’s Quest. I’ll have to look that one up. One amazing thing about retro gaming is even after 35 years, you still learn about new great games today.
I was definitely more into sports games. My top 5 would be

1. Super Tecmo Bowl (and including the original Tecmo Bowl) - real players, injuries, performance ratings that would fluctuate through the season. And the Mighty Bombjack show at halftime of the Super Bowl. Who couldn't wait to get to the Super Bowl?!?
2. Baseball Stars - Fully customizable and upgradeable rosters. Climbing the wall to catch a homerun was so fresh and such an advanced feature at the time.
3. RBI Baseball - One of the best Arcade to home video game ports ever.
4. Super Mario Bros. 3
5. Blades of Steel - The fights man!

Reactions: tbh and NEO

1. Super Tecmo Bowl (and including the original Tecmo Bowl) - real players, injuries, performance ratings that would fluctuate through the season. And the Mighty Bombjack show at halftime of the Super Bowl. Who couldn't wait to get to the Super Bowl?!?
2. Baseball Stars - Fully customizable and upgradeable rosters. Climbing the wall to catch a homerun was so fresh and such an advanced feature at the time.
4. Super Mario Bros. 3

You ever play double dribble. There were specific spots that were automatic threes. The dunk animation was great for that time period.

Reactions: tbh and davethevol

4. Super Mario Bros. 3

I loved sports games too! Tecmo Super Bowl is an all-time classic.

It took me decades, but I made a team with maxed-out stats on Baseball Stars a few years ago.

I prefer RBI Baseball 2 over the first one. The players just look better.

I also really like Blades of Steel, and most people think I’m crazy for liking it better than Ice Hockey, but I do. I also liked the mini game you could play between periods.

Another sports game I really liked as a kid was Tecmo NBA Basketball. It wasn’t as entertaining as Tecmo Super Bowl, but it was the first pro sports simulation game I ever played. I used to play seasons as the Bulls and really pad Michael Jordan’s stats. I could easily average 100 points per game with him. 😂

You ever play double dribble. There were specific spots that were automatic threes. The dunk animation was great for that time period.

Double Dribble on the NES was the first basketball game I ever played. Com Level III (the most difficult cpu opponent) was a crazy game. It was just constant steals the whole time.

Reactions: NEO and davethevol
Oh yes. Tons of Double Dribble. One of the most frustrating games ever at some points though. Maybe top 25 or top 30. It was never one of my go-to games.

Oh yes. Tons of Double Dribble. One of the most frustrating games ever at some points though. Maybe top 25 or top 30. It was never one of my go-to games.

Give me ur top ten for:

Atari 2600 if ya had one
Nes
Snes
Genesis if ya had one
80s arcade
90s arcade

Open to everyone

Give me ur top ten for:

Atari 2600 if ya had one
Nes
Snes
Genesis if ya had one
80s arcade
90s arcade

Open to everyone

I don’t think I can do top 10 for Atari since I didn’t own that as a kid, but I’ll list a few for that one.

Atari 2600:
Pitfall
Kaboom!
Outlaw (first Atari game I ever played)
Frogger
Haunted House
Spiderman
Stampede

NES:
Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!!
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Super Mario Bros. 2
Metroid
Super Mario Bros. 3
The Legend of Zelda
Rygar
Ninja Gaiden
Dr. Mario
Ducktales

SNES:
Super Mario World
Aladdin
NBA Jam: Tournament Edition
Chrono Trigger
Street Fighter II
Super Punch-Out!!
Tecmo Super Bowl
Donkey Kong Country
Super Mario Kart
Actraiser

Sega Genesis:
NBA Jam (better than SNES version)
Sonic the Hedgehog
Golden Axe II
Altered Beast
Contra: Hard Corps
Triple Play ‘96
Battletoads/Double Dragon: Ultimate Team
Mortal Kombat
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
PGA Tour Golf II

Arcade (never went to an arcade in the 80s. I have to combine 80s & 90s here):
Street Fighter II: Turbo Hyperfighting
NBA Jam
The Simpsons
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Wrestlefest
Ms. Pacman
Galaga
Bowling (don’t remember the name exactly, but it had a track ball)
Neo Turfmasters
Pole Position

I don’t think I can do top 10 for Atari since I didn’t own that as a kid, but I’ll list a few for that one.

Atari 2600:
Pitfall
Kaboom!
Outlaw (first Atari game I ever played)
Frogger
Haunted House
Spiderman
Stampede

NES:
Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!!
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Super Mario Bros. 2
Metroid
Super Mario Bros. 3
The Legend of Zelda
Rygar
Ninja Gaiden
Dr. Mario
Ducktales

SNES:
Super Mario World
Aladdin
NBA Jam: Tournament Edition
Chrono Trigger
Street Fighter II
Super Punch-Out!!
Tecmo Super Bowl
Donkey Kong Country
Super Mario Kart
Actraiser

Sega Genesis:
NBA Jam (better than SNES version)
Sonic the Hedgehog
Golden Axe II
Altered Beast
Contra: Hard Corps
Triple Play ‘96
Battletoads/Double Dragon: Ultimate Team
Mortal Kombat
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
PGA Tour Golf II

Arcade (never went to an arcade in the 80s. I have to combine 80s & 90s here):
Street Fighter II: Turbo Hyperfighting
NBA Jam
The Simpsons
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Wrestlefest
Ms. Pacman
Galaga
Bowling (don’t remember the name exactly, but it had a track ball)
Neo Turfmasters
Pole Position

Good list.

Early 80s arcades were great cause alot of unique games existed. There was a sub game you actually looked through a periscope that I loved.

You ever play Legendary wings on NES or Roadrunner on SNES? Loved both

I was an only child we moved a lot and went to 9 schools. Video games were my best friend.

VN Store

Back