Retro Gaming Thread

KoachKrab127

I grew up on Nintendo and Super Nintendo. I rented a game almost every weekend from "Showtime Video" and "Top Gun Video," the local rental stores in Alcoa/Maryville. I believe the Showtime is now an Advance Auto Parts and the Top Gun Video is part of a church youth center or something...anyway...

I thought we could use a thread discussing your favorite retro games. My two favorite NES games are probably Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! and Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. I played both of those games constantly, and it took me years to finally beat both of them. Remember, there were no save states back then. You had 3 lives, then game over. Those were the days when gaming really helped you develop perseverance.

I try to beat a "new" retro game every once in a while. I recently conquered Ninja Turtles on NES for the first time ever, along with Contra, and Ghosts n' Goblins. I'm looking to try some others that I've never defeated. I'm leaning towards Ninja Gaiden 2 and 3.

So what are some retro games that you enjoyed or still enjoy today? Look forward to trying out some of the responses.

Reactions: tbh
I grew up on Nintendo and Super Nintendo. I rented a game almost every weekend from "Showtime Video" and "Top Gun Video," the local rental stores in Alcoa/Maryville. I believe the Showtime is now an Advance Auto Parts and the Top Gun Video is part of a church youth center or something...anyway...

I thought we could use a thread discussing your favorite retro games. My two favorite NES games are probably Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! and Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. I played both of those games constantly, and it took me years to finally beat both of them. Remember, there were no save states back then. You had 3 lives, then game over. Those were the days when gaming really helped you develop perseverance.

I try to beat a "new" retro game every once in a while. I recently conquered Ninja Turtles on NES for the first time ever, along with Contra, and Ghosts n' Goblins. I'm looking to try some others that I've never defeated. I'm leaning towards Ninja Gaiden 2 and 3.

So what are some retro games that you enjoyed or still enjoy today? Look forward to trying out some of the responses.

For the NES, my favorites were (in no particular order): Blades of Steel, Guerilla War, and Double Dragon II

For the Genesis, my favorites were (in no particular order): ToeJam and Earl, Phantasy Star IV, Road Rash II, and Shining Force II

I'll have to dig back into the memory bank a bit and try to recall some other good ones to recommend.

Reactions: KoachKrab127
Phantasy Star IV

That's a good one. Coincidentally I was just thinking about that the other day. Then it popped up on a YT short for no reason at all. Random algorithm. Must be a sign.

Just remembered: another game for the NES that I got a lot of playtime out of back in the day was River City Ransom.

Reactions: KoachKrab127
Old DOS games, especially point-and-click adventures. Maniac Mansion, Fate of Atlantis, Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, etc. Problem is I've played them all so many times it's now more gratifying to watch other people on YouTube experience them for the first time.

Just remembered: another game for the NES that I got a lot of playtime out of back in the day was River City Ransom.

I loved River City Ransom. My friend and I used to play that game for hours at his house. His older brother actually made a chart about every food, at which shop it was located, and what power-up it gave. He created that spreadsheet on his computer and printed it. We thought it was really high-tech and used that as a reference the whole time.

But we always got mad at each other because one would accidentally hit the other, then the other would retaliate, and we’d end up just fighting amongst ourselves the whole time instead of defeating the enemies. Classic 😂

Last edited:
Old DOS games, especially point-and-click adventures. Maniac Mansion, Fate of Atlantis, Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, etc. Problem is I've played them all so many times it's now more gratifying to watch other people on YouTube experience them for the first time.

Point-and-click adventures can be really fun. Did you ever play some of the old Sierra games that were point and click? They always had great humor. My favorite Sierra game was “Quest for Glory.” It actually had an even earlier version that was a typing command game, where you had to type in what you wanted the hero to do. You’d have to type things like “use key” or “get dagger.”

However, it could be frustrating, because if you used a word the game didn’t recognize, it would say “I’m not sure what you’re trying to do.” So I saw that phrase often. But the manual gave excellent instructions on key words to use.

Point-and-click adventures can be really fun. Did you ever play some of the old Sierra games that were point and click? They always had great humor. My favorite Sierra game was “Quest for Glory.” It actually had an even earlier version that was a typing command game, where you had to type in what you wanted the hero to do. You’d have to type things like “use key” or “get dagger.”

However, it could be frustrating, because if you used a word the game didn’t recognize, it would say “I’m not sure what you’re trying to do.” So I saw that phrase often. But the manual gave excellent instructions on key words to use.
Yep, Q4G, King's Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Laura Bow, all of those. They were great. I've been watching a guy on YT play through all the King's Quest games recently.

When I get back to the house this evening, I'll dig through my bookmarks...I think I still have an abandonware page or two bookmarked that may have some familiar (and less than familiar) classics on them.

When I get back to the house this evening, I'll dig through my bookmarks...I think I still have an abandonware page or two bookmarked that may have some familiar (and less than familiar) classics on them.
Ooh, I loved AW sites, haven't looked on one in a long time. Home of the Underdogs was a favorite. I'll gladly take links, this is getting me in a retro mood.

Ooh, I loved AW sites, haven't looked on one in a long time. Home of the Underdogs was a favorite. I'll gladly take links, this is getting me in a retro mood.

Here are a few I've used in the past:

Abandonware Games.Net

Classic Reload

Good Old Games (this one is paid games for the most part, but one feature I like is their installer makes it possible to play old games on current platforms in many cases)

Our first videogame system was a Williams Electronic Arcade or something like that. It had little cartridge things and then plastic film overlays for the tv screen. It had Pong and some other paddle games and a wired handgun that could convert into a rifle to play shooting games. It shot a beam of light that was supposed to register whether you hit or not. I don't think it ever worked right lol.

After that it was a Magnavox Odyssey2 system. I still have it and several games.

Then Atari 2600. Then Commodore 64. Then NES, Sega Genesis, N64, Sega Dreamcast (maybe still my favorite console of all time. So far ahead of it's time). Then PC gaming and every PlayStation that has come out except the ps5.

Our first videogame system was a Williams Electronic Arcade or something like that. It had little cartridge things and then plastic film overlays for the tv screen. It had Pong and some other paddle games and a wired handgun that could convert into a rifle to play shooting games. It shot a beam of light that was supposed to register whether you hit or not. I don't think it ever worked right lol.

After that it was a Magnavox Odyssey2 system. I still have it and several games.

Then Atari 2600. Then Commodore 64. Then NES, Sega Genesis, N64, Sega Dreamcast (maybe still my favorite console of all time. So far ahead of it's time). Then PC gaming and every PlayStation that has come out except the ps5.

A lifetime gamer. That’s awesome. I was born in ‘84, so NES was my first experience. SNES is my favorite console of all-time, and there’s still so many games I haven’t completed yet.

Here’s the game I’m currently trying to beat:

“Ninja Crusader” on the NES. It’s a poor man’s Ninja Gaiden. It’s fast-paced side-scrolling action. You can get 4 different weapons: ninja star, whip, bo staff, and sword. With each weapon also comes a power-up transformation. Ninja star can turn you into a jaguar. Bo staff can turn you into an eagle. Whip can turn you into a scorpion. And sword can turn you into an invincible dragon. Each transformation lasts about 20 seconds per stage, but you lose the sword (it’s by far the strongest weapon) if you transform into the dragon.

One-hit deaths make the game extremely challenging, but you have infinite continues and you keep your weapons after death. So that aspect is very similar to Ghosts n’ Goblins. I’ve gotten to the final stage, but I can’t beat it yet. It’s brutal. I’ll keep working at it. With infinite continues, it’ll only take one lucky run.

Wait, you beat Ghost N Ghoblins? The real victory. Doing it twice?

…..if so you sir are a legend. I’ve beat every game I’ve ever played but it. Game is damn near insane.

Reactions: davethevol
Wait, you beat Ghost N Ghoblins? The real victory. Doing it twice?

…..if so you sir are a legend. I’ve beat every game I’ve ever played but it. Game is damn near insane.

Yes, I’ve beaten Ghosts n’ Goblins, twice, the real victory. It’s actually not as hard as most people think because you have infinite continues that always allow you to continue at the most recent check point. You also get to keep your weapons, even after a game over. Don’t get me wrong, it still took me a very long time to beat it once I started actually trying, about 10-15 total hours, but I got there. The key is to get the knife and keep it until the end when you need to get the shield.

Yes, I’ve beaten Ghosts n’ Goblins, twice, the real victory. It’s actually not as hard as most people think because you have infinite continues that always allow you to continue at the most recent check point. You also get to keep your weapons, even after a game over. Don’t get me wrong, it still took me a very long time to beat it once I started actually trying, about 10-15 total hours, but I got there. The key is to get the knife and keep it until the end when you need to get the shield.

Wait the NES version didn’t have unlimited continues…..did it? I don’t remember that.

Ultimate Underworld might be my favorite game of all time. The era of EGA and VGA games was awesome. Kings Quest, Ultima, Monkey Island, Wing Commander, D&D games….just a great time to be a kid. The gaming magazines were awesome too. I really miss the old video game stores.

Ultimate Underworld might be my favorite game of all time. The era of EGA and VGA games was awesome. Kings Quest, Ultima, Monkey Island, Wing Commander, D&D games….just a great time to be a kid. The gaming magazines were awesome too. I really miss the old video game stores.

I really wish Richard Garriott would get over himself, and either make a modern day Ultima, or let someone like Obsidian make it.

Reactions: NEO

VN Store

Back