Reports abound ,Stackhouse to resign tomorrow from Vandy.

Penny is Memphis' problem now, not sure where they go once the Penny experiment is over, but they have been on the outside looking in at the Big 12 realignment and they are going nowhere in conference reconfiguration, wonder why?

Vanderbilt won't have a lot of choices post Stackhouse, they are 20 years behind the conference in facilities, donors, cultivating a fan base beyond the campus zip code, now residing in the most competitive conference in virtually all team sports, not sure why an up and coming young basketball coach would want the potential career derailment over on the West End of Nashville.
I played under Gene Bartow in 1972-73. Dana Kirk came later. Memphis was a respected program and they could find head coaches then. Never was a Calipari fan but the program was still up there in stature. No so much now. Larry Finch was a legend as a player and he was fired as a head coach. The same could happen to Hardaway but I doubt it. Even then, Memphis is not up there in stature anymore.

It goes higher than Stackhouse, Vandy doesn’t care about winning.
They care but:
1] Vandy doesn't have an athletic department.
2] Vanderbilt alums don't seem to love the school when they leave. Personally, I hated it there and have never given them a dime.
3] Having a very limited budget compared to the rest of SEC, they have to pick their poison. When I worked in the athletic department there they were always ashamed of all the losing.
4] It's not the same school academically. It's in serious decline unfortunately according to the professors who work there.

I always thought Vandy should try to tap into the whole country music scene. Get some artists to come to games when they're in town and use it to your advantage with NIL. Just seems like a natural connection.
The last thing in the world Vanderbilt wants is an association with country music singers.

They got their second branch from the Pat Head Summit tree so they can just live with it. No reason to keep throwing good money after bad. Put that money where you're getting a return on your investment.
“They”?

You’re not a Tennessee fan in all sports? I want Danny White hiring a Lady Vol precisely because he’s not the type to just look who played for Pat, but he’ll hire the best coach to restore OUR once great program.

I certainly don’t claim to know a lot about Vandy, but getting good players doesn’t seem to be the issue. Keeping them is. Texas has Disu, their best post player. Carolina has Stute, their best 3 ball shooter. LSU has Jordan Wright, their best player. All transfers from Vandy who were a problem for us. Think about what it would lo like to play those 3 guys with the 2 guards they have now? Pretty tough lineup. Is it NIL money guys leave for?

Reactions: ArdentVol
I played under Gene Bartow in 1972-73. Dana Kirk came later. Memphis was a respected program and they could find head coaches then. Never was a Calipari fan but the program was still up there in stature. No so much now. Larry Finch was a legend as a player and he was fired as a head coach. The same could happen to Hardaway but I doubt it. Even then, Memphis is not up there in stature anymore.
So you were teammates with Finch, Robinson & Kenon when you all made that magical run to the Final Four? That was such a great time in Memphis then. I was in my early teens living there, but remember it well.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Vandy is rock solid in baseball - they won a natty in 2014 - but honestly, I have long believed that both the SEC and Vandy would be better served by Vandy moving to the Sun Belt or something. They're at such a massive disadvantage versus the rest of the SEC in terms of facilities, financial support, and overall fanbase.

I always thought Vandy should try to tap into the whole country music scene. Get some artists to come to games when they're in town and use it to your advantage with NIL. Just seems like a natural connection.
I always thought maybe they should join conference USA

Vandy is rock solid in baseball - they won a natty in 2014 - but honestly, I have long believed that both the SEC and Vandy would be better served by Vandy moving to the Sun Belt or something. They're at such a massive disadvantage versus the rest of the SEC in terms of facilities, financial support, and overall fanbase.
They also won the national title in 2019. Women’s Basketball contended nationally on a regular basis in the 90’s, and men’s basketball was decent for 25-plus years until they got rid of Stallings. Football is what it is.

Recruited by Moe Iba. Played against Finch and Robinson Brothers, never understood the fascination with Finch as HC.

If nobody but Richard West has put this out and folks are believing it I would wait for a legit source. West is nothing but satire.

Reactions: vols 30
Vandy needs to rethink their position if they want to have a top program in basketball. Changing conferences would be my first move. The top side of the SEC is getting stronger and bottom side is getting weaker. It's going to take a lot more athletes to field a top SEC basketball team from this point forward. They are way behind.

Reactions: volplaya8
They care but:
1] Vandy doesn't have an athletic department.
2] Vanderbilt alums don't seem to love the school when they leave. Personally, I hated it there and have never given them a dime.
3] Having a very limited budget compared to the rest of SEC, they have to pick their poison. When I worked in the athletic department there they were always ashamed of all the losing.
4] It's not the same school academically. It's in serious decline unfortunately according to the professors who work there.
This can’t be said enough. I’ve always said Vandy could be a player in the SEC but they don’t care enough. Then again I guess every conference has 1 program that’s bad at almost everything

Vandy doesn't care and that's the biggest problem they have... They're in a city that should be attractive to recruits but doesn't seem to matter either way. Stackhouse was a chance hire that hasn't worked out. Just a name.

Reactions: feathersax
If someone else did all the hard work of recruiting for him, I do think Stack could be a good coach. But that roster he's assembled sucks something awful. I'm pretty sure Manjon is the only player that would be on the roster of any team in the top half of the SEC. You can't win like that.

When it comes to NIL I think most Vanderbilt grads realize it's a never-ending donation need. The VAST amount of NIL $$$ it would take to make Vanderbilt competitive is staggering. Not to mention facility upgrades $$$. I think most grads consider it a waste of $$$. Vanderbilt needs to concentrate on basketball NIL $$$ but they need a NIL group or to find a way to galvanize their limited fan base. Most Vanderbilt students come to school being fans of other college programs. Going to games and watching the team you're cheering for get waxed doesn't make you a fan. When Vandy gets a big upset, all I think is well that's nice for the players. I could care less. Most Vandy fans are like this in my experience.

Bad news for Vandy honestly never disappoints

If I am being real, Stack is a good coach; good system. Prob best they could expect to hire. Has brought in some legit recruits. Just not enough. They are, for God's sake, Vandy
Lmao he’s god awful. Does not have a good system, cannot recruit. They could do a whole lot better. They have done a whole lot better in the past.

VN Store

Back