Refs

I want to add I was impressed by CRB coming out to the microphone and scolding the ones in the crowd for throwing things on the floor after the two bad calls on Williams. I really like this coach. Thanks Texas.

I want to add I was impressed by CRB coming out to the microphone and scolding the ones in the crowd for throwing things on the floor after the two bad calls on Williams. I really like this coach. Thanks Texas.

I think the refs made him

Williams has no one to blame but himself for fouling out of that game. The two (2) fouls he got before the last one were just plain stupid. The swipe foul (number 3) and lunging foul at the 3-point shooter (number 4) where just not smart moves on his part. He really does commit some dumb fouls at times in games.

Agree

Williams intentionally tried to roll the player’s legs. Good way to shred someone’s knee. Replay does wonders. Game was pretty dirty and intense the whole time.

The most embarrassing call of the game was when none of the refs knew who they called the foul on...

Really? I am glad you can read another person's mind. I didn't see that at all.

If there is contact and advantage gained then yes. Close call could have gone either way. Had not Grant committed two silly fouls prior it wouldn't have mattered.

i'm tracking; however, at least be consistent throughout the completion of the same (let them) play, no foul on the shot, no foul with the fall...

as athletic as kids are these days i do agree that it's extremely hard to get em all right all the time

team showed good character keeping it together and scrapping for the win (credit to both the kids and the staff)

and you're right two silly fouls were a bigger issue...bet he'll use better judgement going forward

The bigger issue is why coaches haven't demanded that the silly 5 fouls=disqualification rule be discarded. Year after year, basketball remains the only sport to allow its game to be degraded by a rule which removes its best players from competition for "transgressions" that are merely part of the game.

All coaches hate the rule, yet do nothing to change it.
There are fouls on every play now.... Take away the disqualify rule and there would be football (if not already) on the court.
I think that fouls help in whole team gaining experience. When a guy gets a couple of fouls he comes out, when do you put him back in, ect. Coaches have to coach more with the rule. No wonder they would like to do away with 5 fouls and out.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm 28 years old. I played college sports and also have umpired softball and baseball since I was 16 (don't ask why they let me ump, blame Tennessee AAU) and have done basketball games since I was 19. I've probably called at least 200 games in both sports since I was 16 between college and work.

#1 rule is: Do not make the game about you unless it is impossible not to (see Malice at the Palace)

Guess what? We are even talking about them. They failed. They didn't just fail, they did so on levels not expected of NCAA refs.

You say they passed? I say they shouldn't work again in a power 5 conference. They missed enough calls, on both sides, that it DID impact the game. The end.

Did the team who should've won win? Maybe. But both teams best players fouled out, and realistically, neither should have based on the calls. Multiple missed travels. Multiple ticky tack fouls (which are judgement calls, but were not consistent), and multiple "lets got to the replay" calls that were not replay worthy.

The job is hard, yes. But it is not for cowards. And the amount of make up calls and refusal to call fair in this game showed what the NCAA is. A joke.

And that's why the FBI is investigating the sport as a whole.

The multiple missed travels is infuriating. The recipient travelled nearly every time UGA inbounded the ball after a made Tennessee basket. No call.

Reactions: 2 people
0n the whole I thought the officials did a good job of letting the teams play in a very physical game. Did I agree with every call? H#ll no! But having been a basketball official in a former life I' d give these guys a passing grade. To put it in prospective don't you think the Georgia faithful are wanting a call on Alexander's slapping of the ball away which effectively won the game for Tennessee? Referees make mistakes just like players and coaches but the 3 guys working this game just wanted the best team to win..i guarantee it.
Point shaving is still illegal ref.They disgrace the game.

I'm 28 years old. I played college sports and also have umpired softball and baseball since I was 16 (don't ask why they let me ump, blame Tennessee AAU) and have done basketball games since I was 19. I've probably called at least 200 games in both sports since I was 16 between college and work.

#1 rule is: Do not make the game about you unless it is impossible not to (see Malice at the Palace)

Guess what? We are even talking about them. They failed. They didn't just fail, they did so on levels not expected of NCAA refs.

You say they passed? I say they shouldn't work again in a power 5 conference. They missed enough calls, on both sides, that it DID impact the game. The end.

Did the team who should've won win? Maybe. But both teams best players fouled out, and realistically, neither should have based on the calls. Multiple missed travels. Multiple ticky tack fouls (which are judgement calls, but were not consistent), and multiple "lets got to the replay" calls that were not replay worthy.

The job is hard, yes. But it is not for cowards. And the amount of make up calls and refusal to call fair in this game showed what the NCAA is. A joke.

And that's why the FBI is investigating the sport as a whole.

UGA traveled on almost every inbounds after a UT made basket. Was never called.

There are fouls on every play now.... Take away the disqualify rule and there would be football (if not already) on the court.
I think that fouls help in whole team gaining experience. When a guy gets a couple of fouls he comes out, when do you put him back in, ect. Coaches have to coach more with the rule. No wonder they would like to do away with 5 fouls and out.
Absolutely. Would be brutal.

Refereeing basketball is a thankless job. That being said if you are refereeing you have to understand this straight from the rule book........with 10 players in a confined space moving at rapid speeds there will, at times, be violent collisions occurring between players. If no advantage is gained then there is no foul to call.

I am a Tennessee fan. Do not care if UGA got some bad calls or not.

Referees at this level should be able to see travelling when it occurs. Twice on inbound passes UGA players took 3 steps to get stopped and the same referee was 3 feet away and missed the infraction. The other 2 did nothing to help by coming up to assist and make the calls. There were at least 2 other blatant walks in front of all 3 officials by UGA. No calls were made. The trip / block called on Daniels in front of the UGA bench in the 2nd half was a terrible foul call, the UGA player fell down without any contact.

The play inside was physical both ways. I do think that UGA got away with some nudges on the offensive boards when the UT kids had them boxed out a couple of times. It is not a foul to rebound from behind. BUT giving the guy in front of you a slight nudge as he is going into the air to collect a rebound is as much of a foul as hammering someone inside to keep them from making a layup. It takes a good referee to catch this type of foul. Again, it comes back to "advantage gained". If a team gets away with doing that it can really keep them in the game when they are not making shots. These guys were not able to do catch this or ignored it. They failed to do their jobs.

Grant Williams is much too smart to keep giving the refs an opportunity to call touch fouls on him. His 3rd and 4th fouls were "stupid" fouls on his part. Now his 5th foul was clearly a play where no advantage was gained. But without the previous 2 fouls that were called on him the 5th one would not have been an issue. We all know this but many times the foul not called is as important as the foul called.

I understand that the game moves fast but having refereed basketball for 15 years at the high school level these guys should be better than this. They will miss calls but some violations are no-brainers.

Go VOLS..........outstanding effort by all. It is great to have a team and coaching staff representing our University in such an outstanding way.

Last edited:
I've almost done a 180 on Wiliams' 5th. Seeing the replay angle at the TBA, I thought that it was a horrible call. After watching it on my DVR it did appear to me that GW rolled over and into the GA player. Maybe Williams was fouled before hitting the floor though.

I've almost done a 180 on Wiliams' 5th. Seeing the replay angle at the TBA, I thought that it was a horrible call. After watching it on my DVR it did appear to me that GW rolled over and into the GA player. Maybe Williams was fouled before hitting the floor though.
Officials usually (nowadays they do get to slow the games down by going to the tape on certain calls...some of these "reviews" are way too long) do not get a do over on a call like Williams 5th. If the guy had been patient and let the play evolve....just half a beat more then the UGA kid would have passed the ball, UGA would have been blowing down the court with a player advantage. Instead the ref (I believe anticipated what was about to happen) whistled a 5th foul on the kid where no advantage was gained.

It happens and will as long as humans are calling games. When I called games the last thing I wanted to do was to screw over a kid or a team. I am just surprised that the evaluation of these referees just doesn't weed more of them out at this level.

Most likely there is a shortage of good, solid referees and politics/good ole boy system keeps some of them around way too long.

Last edited:
Officials usually (nowadays they do get slow the games down by going to the tape for certain calls) do not get a do over on a call like Williams 5th. If the guy had been patient and let the play evolve....just a half a beat more then the UGA kid would have passed the ball, UGA would have been blowing down the court with a player advantage. Instead the ref (I believe anticipated what was about to happen) and whistled a 5th foul on the kid where no advantage was gained.

It happens and will as long as humans are calling games. When I called games the last thing I wanted to do was to screw over a kid. I am just surprised that the evaluation of these referees just doesn't weed more of them out.

Most likely there is a shortage of good, solid referees and politics keeps some of them around.

That makes sense. But maybe the quick whistle was out of fear when players were hitting the floor.

One thing that did bother me was that it seemed like the refs were aware that Maten was in foul trouble and were hesitant to whistle him for more fouls and a possible DQ. But on the other hand they seemed oblivious to the foul count on Grant.

I finally found it. I had been spelling Brian Shey's name wrong. He was the bald official last night and was a part of the crew that ejected Pearl in 2010 against College of Charleston. I remember it because it was terribly officiated as well.

The crew is listed at the bottom of the box score.

Charleston vs. Tennessee - Game Summary - December 31, 2010 - ESPN

That's a good catch. Benedict is also listed, who was well known for doing TN no favors.

Last edited:
That makes sense. But maybe the quick whistle was out of fear when players were hitting the floor.

One thing that did bother me was that it seemed like the refs were aware that Maten was in foul trouble and were hesitant to whistle him for more fouls and a possible DQ. But on the other hand they seemed oblivious to the foul count on Grant.
Your point about the officials protecting Maten is an excellent one.

To put it in perspective.....Georgia got so many bad calls there way...got away with flagrant fouls blows to the head and face that still resulted in a foul on Tennessee...they didn’t get that call was because the referee’s lips were sore from the edge of the whistle.

Tennessee had to beat UGA and the SEC officiating crew.

Tennessee shot 18 FT and Georgia shot 15. So calls went Tennessee's way by the numbers. If you thought more were missed for Tennessee that's your rightful opinion but it wasn't like the refs swallowed their whistle when it came to Georgia. All I am saying is given the extreme physical nature of the game the officials had to walk a fine line between letting the game have flow (not calling all the contact) and not letting the game get out of hand. Did they call a perfect game?...I doubt one has or ever will be called. I didn't see their performance as being so egregious as to warrant them being banned from games or disciplined in some way as some on here are calling for. I know this wasn’t part of your post but to respond to a couple of other issues raised; the in bounding team can run the end line after a made field goal or free throw and do not lose that ability after a time out. So the right call of no traveling on Georgia in these incidents was the correct call. As far as the calls being inconsistent it’s the nature of the game and the referee’s will call it closer if they perceive the game is getting close to getting out of hand as far as the physicality. Hey it’s my opinion and I have made an effort to support it in a reasonable way, I appreciate those with a differing opinion who have done the same.

Last edited:
Tennessee shot 18 FT and Georgia shot 15. So calls went Tennessee's way by the numbers. If you thought more were missed for Tennessee that's your rightful opinion but it wasn't like the refs swallowed their whistle when it came to Georgia. All I am saying is given the extreme physical nature of the game the officials had to walk a fine line between letting the game have flow (not calling all the contact) and not letting the game get out of hand. Did they call a perfect game?...I doubt one has or ever will be called. I didn't see their performance as be so egregious as to warrant them being banned from games or disciplined in some way as some on here are calling for. I know this wasn’t part of your post but to respond to a couple of other issues raised; the in bounding team can run the end line after a made field goal or free throw and do not lose that ability after a time out. So the right call of no traveling on Georgia in these incidents was the correct call. As far as the calls being inconsistent it’s the nature of the game and the referee’s will call it closer if they perceive the game is getting close to getting out of hand as far as the physicality. Hey it’s my opinion and I have made an effort to support it in a reasonable way, I appreciate those with a differing opinion who have done the same.

Georgia's inbound passer wasn't walking. It was the guy sprinting towards him catching the ball. That guy walked at least 3 times.

VN Store

Back