Refs

That last foul (and the third one) on Williams was a disgrace. He got fouled going up for the shot, fell to the ground, and the rebounder fell over him.

I only got to see the last few minutes but I could not believe that call. I also thought the call on his 4th foul was a cheap one too, as he was challenging the dude's jumper without chopping or bumping him.

We needed this. It is the reality that we are going to get the same in the SEC and NCAA tournaments. Rather have it now and we overcame it. It will just make us stronger. Poorly called game but now the team knows that it can happen again and will deal with it much better. So yes.....take it with a grain of salt and know we are co Champs of the SEC regular season which is quite an accomplishment.

God awful called game but we have arrived and we survived.

3 or 2 seed good to go......

Reactions: 1 person
The fourth and fifth fouls on Williams were bogus calls and Williams did not foul Maten on the 3 point attempt. It was a very physical game and that is what you should expect around tournament time.

The bigger issue is why coaches haven't demanded that the silly 5 fouls=disqualification rule be discarded. Year after year, basketball remains the only sport to allow its game to be degraded by a rule which removes its best players from competition for "transgressions" that are merely part of the game.

All coaches hate the rule, yet do nothing to change it.

The bigger issue is why coaches haven't demanded that the silly 5 fouls=disqualification rule be discarded. Year after year, basketball remains the only sport to allow its game to be degraded by a rule which removes its best players from competition for "transgressions" that are merely part of the game.

All coaches hate the rule, yet do nothing to change it.

So, do u want to give players 6 fouls like the NBA or have a no foul out rule?

Have to agree, the officiating was one of the worst I have witnessed this year. The last foul on Grant was bad(really no words to describe that call) Thought that was going to cause us the game, when in fact, I feel it may have been a blessing in disguise. It was like the players got pumped up to the max and seemed as if they were going to pull it off for the guy that just got shafted on a horrible call. This game just showed that this team has no give up to em. Great to be a Tennessee Vol.

That last foul (and the third one) on Williams was a disgrace. He got fouled going up for the shot, fell to the ground, and the rebounder fell over him.

Williams has no one to blame but himself for fouling out of that game. The two (2) fouls he got before the last one were just plain stupid. The swipe foul (number 3) and lunging foul at the 3-point shooter (number 4) where just not smart moves on his part. He really does commit some dumb fouls at times in games.

Reactions: 2 people
As long as college refs are part-time and have no accountability, then what we see every game will continue.
The refs didn’t favor UGA, they are just so inconsistent that the players do not know what to expect and play tentative. Tonight is the same junk we see every game in college basketball.
They are beyond criticism. If a coach says anything then he is fined and if an announcer says anything then they are out of work. Coaches and announcers know it

It's the no accountability, that's the breakdown.

Is it just me, or did the refs job us over and over?

I think they decided to call it tight, because both teams were physical, and it got out of hand. I don't know which way they went but their were too many calls overall, changed the flow of the game.

I'm convinced the players would do a better job reffing themselves.

Idk man, most of the time that's true, but I've seen multiple fights and games stopped or delayed over fouls called for 5+ mins. But, it would be cool, Williams drives to the hole and "Ball"! Williams just called Maten for a foul. Haha

0n the whole I thought the officials did a good job of letting the teams play in a very physical game. Did I agree with every call? H#ll no! But having been a basketball official in a former life I' d give these guys a passing grade. To put it in prospective don't you think the Georgia faithful are wanting a call on Alexander's slapping of the ball away which effectively won the game for Tennessee? Referees make mistakes just like players and coaches but the 3 guys working this game just wanted the best team to win..i guarantee it.

I'm 28 years old. I played college sports and also have umpired softball and baseball since I was 16 (don't ask why they let me ump, blame Tennessee AAU) and have done basketball games since I was 19. I've probably called at least 200 games in both sports since I was 16 between college and work.

#1 rule is: Do not make the game about you unless it is impossible not to (see Malice at the Palace)

Guess what? We are even talking about them. They failed. They didn't just fail, they did so on levels not expected of NCAA refs.

You say they passed? I say they shouldn't work again in a power 5 conference. They missed enough calls, on both sides, that it DID impact the game. The end.

Did the team who should've won win? Maybe. But both teams best players fouled out, and realistically, neither should have based on the calls. Multiple missed travels. Multiple ticky tack fouls (which are judgement calls, but were not consistent), and multiple "lets got to the replay" calls that were not replay worthy.

The job is hard, yes. But it is not for cowards. And the amount of make up calls and refusal to call fair in this game showed what the NCAA is. A joke.

And that's why the FBI is investigating the sport as a whole.

Reactions: 2 people
I would like to see referees have a "bail out" or "benign stoppage" rule they could use based on their judgement, for situations similar to Williams' last foul.

There are situations where play should be stopped (either because of risk of injury, need for clarification for the players, or because circumstances are about to reward one team with a disproportional or "not earned within the game" advantage. Referees already have their own timeouts to use for clock management or when an object is thrown onto the court.

So take Williams' fifth foul call: Georgia had gained posession, but there were players in physically awkward (possibility of injury) positions which made it difficult for them to untangle and rejoin play. I'd like to see refs have the option of stopping play, let players safely and amiably re-establish themselves on the court, and letting Georgia bring the ball back into play.

I don't know if the referee's time-out rule could already be used this way, and maybe it's just under-utilized because of pressure to keep the games within a certain time frame.

Grants foul on the 3 point shooter was bad. The shooter turned his right leg in towards Grant to initiate the contact. Bs. His 5th foul was an even worse call.

0n the whole I thought the officials did a good job of letting the teams play in a very physical game. Did I agree with every call? H#ll no! But having been a basketball official in a former life I' d give these guys a passing grade. To put it in prospective don't you think the Georgia faithful are wanting a call on Alexander's slapping of the ball away which effectively won the game for Tennessee? Referees make mistakes just like players and coaches but the 3 guys working this game just wanted the best team to win..i guarantee it.

While I agree that they don't have a bias regarding who should win other than the one that plays the best game, their utter incompetence is what leads people to question their neutrality. I don't think that they are out to get any specific team or player, I just think that they are awful and incompetent.

Williams has no one to blame but himself for fouling out of that game. The two (2) fouls he got before the last one were just plain stupid. The swipe foul (number 3) and lunging foul at the 3-point shooter (number 4) where just not smart moves on his part. He really does commit some dumb fouls at times in games.

He absolutely has someone to blame if 20% of the fouls called on him were absolute and utter BS.

Should be a 5 and out rule for refs.
If you have a habit of calling phantom or make up fouls move on down to HS.
Games are reviewed. do something about it. weed out the garbage.

To put it in prospective don't you think the Georgia faithful are wanting a call on Alexander's slapping of the ball away which effectively won the game for Tennessee?

To put it in perspective.....Georgia got so many bad calls there way...got away with flagrant fouls blows to the head and face that still resulted in a foul on Tennessee...they didn’t get that call was because the referee’s lips were sore from the edge of the whistle.

Tennessee had to beat UGA and the SEC officiating crew.

Williams intentionally tried to roll the player’s legs. Good way to shred someone’s knee. Replay does wonders. Game was pretty dirty and intense the whole time.

The most embarrassing call of the game was when none of the refs knew who they called the foul on...

Grants foul on the 3 point shooter was bad. The shooter turned his right leg in towards Grant to initiate the contact. Bs. His 5th foul was an even worse call.

I didn't realize this was the reason for the foul. I only saw one replay and couldn't tell if there was contact up top.

I cannot stand when they give the shooter the foul for the kick out. A lot of times, it is easy to see. I guess the problem is your eyes can't watch the top and the bottom closely at the same time.

VN Store

Back