Reflection on VolNation and Fandom

eh, push comes to shove....i think it is. sure there's a few regulars here, that we all think are pretty good, and we agree or disagree with some of their assertions. but on the whole, when we've seen the new GT fan, OU fan, NW fan, NEB fan, VT fan, bama troll, gator troll, ga troll etc....we kind of handle it exactly how CZA describes.

but no, it's never going to be that way for ALL or EVERYONE....

Nope. Go find a bamawriter, 99Gator, Gadawg4life, Tusktimes, (sp) etc that talks crap about Butch.

Oh, it's okay if the Bamars, Gators and Dawgs say crap about our coach.....if it's tue. :thumbsup:

Get into semantics like a lot of people here do, and what he said is not true.

But, it really doesn't matter, it is what it is.:)

Reactions: 2 people
Other than OP, did anyone actually read this tomb end to end?

Tome. Tome is the word you're looking for. Rhymes with "Rome." Tome means "big book." Tomb (rhymes with "womb") means "place where Egyptian mummies are buried." You meant tome.

Happy to help, glad you got a lot out of joining this thread. :)

Reactions: 1 person
VFL-82-JP, Norm was running late.. here ya go!
NormCheers.gif

Peach! You saved the day. And boy, is Norm ever rushing to get to his seat in that gif. :)

Nope. Go find a bamawriter, 99Gator, Gadawg4life, Tusktimes, (sp) etc that talks crap about Butch.

Oh, it's okay if the Bamars, Gators and Dawgs say crap about our coach.....if it's tue. :thumbsup:

Ah, I understand your disagreement, now.

Yep, Behr has the right of it. We are often not at all the way CZA described his version of Vol Nation. We do not rally around each other in the face of opposing fans having fun at our team's expense. More's the pity.

So many people use the auto word finisher or voice recognition these days and it can really cause some strange errors. I was reading an article in the AJC this morning that had at least 4-5 words that were misused and it was obvious as to why. If your editor is a spellchecker, it won't catch that stuff.

On anther note, I have a theory that Egyptian hieroglyphics are really advanced emojis and we will eventually dig up an ancient cell phone under the Sphinx. It'll be a Heston stumbling on the Statue of Liberty in Planet of the Apes moment.

Yep, Behr has the right of it. We are often not at all the way CZA described his version of Vol Nation. We do not rally around each other in the face of opposing fans having fun at our team's expense. More's the pity.
It wasn't always like that. I wonder if some of the younger/more recent fans of UTK are somehow cowed when confronted by Bammers and such?

well like i said, there's a few regulars here that we either agree or disagree with, but they're not necessarily trolling.

tusktimes....i might draw the line there. and 99 and i have gone back forth a few times.

and again, as i also said, i didn't say it's EVERYone or ALL the time.

but i do remember several OU, nebraska, VT, GT, and NW folks that got turned away at the door.....you can even go as far back as some Cal fans as well.

well, now you're asking us to put aside our own opinions....

there's some regulars here that aren't trolls, and we have some decent input from and back and forth with.

like, when Bamawriter and D4h were going back and forth before/during the draft...sorry, i wasn't getting d4h's back on that one.......:thumbsup:

but there's been plenty of others that get shown the door, awfully quick.

You walk into the bar. You've been a patron of this bar since you turned 18, many years ago. It's "your" bar, the bar closest to home, the one with all the folks you know, all your friends and ex-girlfriends and former enemies, even the moms and dads of some of your old high school classmates. It's as close to "home" as a place with a liquor license can be.

And everyone in this bar loves the Vols. Venerates them. Each and every game is played live on all seven TVs hanging in all the corners and side walls, and then played again at least four or five more times during the week. Orange is by far the predominant color, both in the decor and on the backs of the patrons.

It's okay to talk trash about the head coach, as long as it's clear you love the guy and would run through the wall for him. Not because his name is Butch, but just because he's our coach. Some of the folks in the bar think he's not the long term answer, sure, and plenty of beer has been spilt over heated debates on that topic. But even for them, while Butch may be an idiot, he's OUR idiot. Any fan of another school walks in that door and takes advantage of some insider criticism, and they'll quickly find out that the color orange is FAR more important to us than petty disagreements about any particular coach or player.

This is a Tennessee Volunteers bar. It's a second home. Arguing, dancing, or watching the game together, it is comfortable as the womb, because it's full of people who share a love. A Vols love.

break/break

That, that word picture I just drew, that's what a lot of us would like VolNation to be. An online version of your favorite bar, the place where you get together with friends to talk Vol Football.

Trouble is, Freak doesn't sell beer.

Okay, we can get beer out of our own refrigerators. So we'll overlook that one.

Trouble is, the social anonymity of the internet encourages people to act like jackwagons to each other.

Okay, that's just life online. Have to roll with that.

Trouble is, we're infiltrated with fans of other schools pretending to be Vols fans just enough that they can cause trouble. Not talking about 99gator or bamawriter, or guys like them. They're open and honest about who they support, they're guests in our house, and welcome for their (wrong, inbred and socially inept, haha) opinions. No, talking about the trolls who pretend to be Vols but are really just here to denigrate.

Again, that's just life online. Have to ignore them as best we can and get on with it.

break/break

This thread is really for and about the other group. Those folks who haven't yet figured out how to be a devout fan while criticizing. Those who, when they turn on the negative flow, don't know how to control it, who haven't developed their fine tuning enough to avoid being nasty, petty or boorish when they want to talk about how things aren't perfect.

Norm walks into Cheers, everyone shouts NORM! He sits down, orders a beer, and joins the chatter about the Red Sox. He's not a big fan of John Farrell, and he's free to explain why, BECAUSE he is so well known in the bar to be a consumate Red Sox fan. Because for everything critical he might say about the manager or one of the players, he says ten or twenty positive things about the team. And even if he's not the hugest fan of Farrell, he wouldn't for a minute put up with a Yankee fan walking into the bar and talking trash about him or any other member of the team.

Why can't we all be like Norm?

When did disagreement forcibly turn into hate and rudeness?

Something to think about.

Go Vols!

NOTE: Not saying anyone (other than the trolls, they know who they are and we do, too) isn't a fan. This isn't about defining fandom or excluding anyone. It's about suggesting that we, as a group of Vols fans, consider raising our game, becoming more the fan base that ALL of us can be proud of.

Well done.

well, now you're asking us to put aside our own opinions....

there's some regulars here that aren't trolls, and we have some decent input from and back and forth with.

like, when Bamawriter and D4h were going back and forth before/during the draft...sorry, i wasn't getting d4h's back on that one.......:thumbsup:

but there's been plenty of others that get shown the door, awfully quick.

No, not asking that at all. Not asking anyone to give up on their opinions.

Only saying to set them aside temporarily while we form a united front against the obnoxious intruder. He wants to be polite and respectful, fine, we're happy to have him with us. He wants to talk crap, and all of Vol Nation turns to face him.

That's how it's been in all the best teams I've ever been on, sports or military. United against the enemy, no matter how often we bicker and squabble among ourselves.

As for D4H, once in a while, a member of the herd comes into the world so malformed that you just have to leave him to the wolves. It's a hard luck life, for some.

well like i said, there's a few regulars here that we either agree or disagree with, but they're not necessarily trolling.

tusktimes....i might draw the line there. and 99 and i have gone back forth a few times.

and again, as i also said, i didn't say it's EVERYone or ALL the time.

but i do remember several OU, nebraska, VT, GT, and NW folks that got turned away at the door.....you can even go as far back as some Cal fans as well.

This doesn't need to go any further, I just disagree and it's no big deal. :thumbsup:

But watch, my post about the Bamars and others talking crap about Butch will in some way come back to haunt me.

It wasn't always like that. I wonder if some of the younger/more recent fans of UTK are somehow cowed when confronted by Bammers and such?

I sure hope not. We have enough history and tradition on our side to stand toe to toe with anyone in the nation.

We're coming out of our Dark Ages. Those who need a "booster shot" of pride will be getting it soon enough.

Go Vols!

Only saying to set them aside temporarily while we form a united front against the obnoxious intruder. He wants to be polite and respectful, fine, we're happy to have him with us. He wants to talk crap, and all of Vol Nation turns to face him.

That's how it's been in all the best teams I've ever been on, sports or military. United against the enemy, no matter how often we bicker and squabble among ourselves.

As for D4H, once in a while, a member of the herd comes into the world so malformed that you just have to leave him to the wolves. It's a hard luck life, for some.
we're the fans. and again, i think for the most part we do act as you're describing when presented a qualifying opponent.

if bamawriter or 99 or lawgator or whoever is participating in a conversation and they happen to agree with a point i make, or vice versa, that doesn't make us a less united fan base.

it's the ability to decide for one's self when that qualified opponent shows up. now if Bamaforlife16 shows up with a membership date of June 2017, and spouts off about CBJ, and everyone just cowered and agreed, then i might agree with you and Behr, but that's not what happens.

most all of us have really good friends, or family members, that are affiliated with some other school or rival. 2 of my best friends...one a dawg, the other a rebel. a brother that's an MSU alum. another buddy that's a gator. others NCSU or Carolina.

they're not qualified opponents. nor are some of the regulars here that participate in the mostly civil manner you've previously described.

This doesn't need to go any further, I just disagree and it's no big deal. :thumbsup:

But watch, my post about the Bamars and others talking crap about Butch will in some way come back to haunt me.

no, you're wrong, and you will engage in this debate until you admit it.:eek:lol:

Only if you put stock into it. Bamawriter has me on ignore also. :)

My agreeing with a Bammer, Gator, etc on a flaw within the Tennessee program or anything in this world for that matter has nothing to do with my fandom. To pretend it does or that I have to present a united front against an opinion from a non Vol is absolutely stupid. I have my opinions on where the program is, where it needs to go and what the standards should be. If a Vol fan disagrees with me, I'll be content to disagree. If a non Vol fan shares my stance, then it is what it is.

To be clear, I enjoy some of the feedback from those guys and agree with them sometimes. I'm not even making a big deal out of them being critical of Butch. But there are times when two posters, both Vol fans, are arguing about Butch, and one of the Bammers or Gators etc. chimes in, and then it's turns into 2 against 1 and one of the 2 is a Bammer or Gator.....arguing about how bad Butch sucks. Lol. :crazy:

Anyway, again no big deal, just disagre.:)

VN Store

Back