Redemption for the SEC

Other than the hype over the "streak", this game is relatively meaningless. Whether UConn wins or loses, they will remain the no 1 seed and no one seems to be penalized for losing to UConn. This isn't the tournament where if you lose you go home.

Of course as a UConn fan I want them to win but streaks always end. I remind myself that after their last loss, to Stanford, they won the next 99. And that ain't bad. :)

I think you are right... yes numbers are great and for UC 100 in a row is good, but i do not think win or loss matters to either team.... check that.... a win or even close loss would mean something to Carolina

Well those were two really good games.

Two take-aways for me.
1st that was one heck of a physical game. SC literally was pushing them around the court.
2nd I find it hard to believe that Nurse had a gimpy leg and hardly played, the tall blond shooter only scored 6 pts and their #1 forward was in foul trouble the whole game and finally fouled out AND THEY STILL WON ???

If we played them 100 times we might beat them once - only because their whole team came down with Zika.

Reactions: 4 people
Well those were two really good games.

Two take-aways for me.
1st that was one heck of a physical game. SC literally was pushing them around the court.
2nd I find it hard to believe that Nurse had a gimpy leg and hardly played, the tall blond shooter only scored 6 pts and their #1 forward was in foul trouble the whole game and finally fouled out AND THEY STILL WON ???

If we played them 100 times we might beat them once - only because their whole team came down with Zika.

SC's guards cost them the game. I get that Harris is a better playmaking guard than Cuevas-Moore, but when you cannot shoot, then teams can just pack in the paint. Between Harris' and Davis' bricklaying, SC didn't have a chance to really get their post tandem going. UConn also has posts that can extend the defense, and have speed to drive past their defenders. They both played very well. Wilson and Coates were not bad, but this loss hangs on the shoulders of Harris, Davis and to an extent Gray (though she gets credit for the defensive number she did on KLS) for not stretching the UConn defense.

I still think a UConn team with Zika would be able to come away with a win vs. Tennessee, unfortunately...

Reactions: 1 person
SC's guards cost them the game. I get that Harris is a better playmaking guard than Cuevas-Moore, but when you cannot shoot, then teams can just pack in the paint. Between Harris' and Davis' bricklaying, SC didn't have a chance to really get their post tandem going. UConn also has posts that can extend the defense, and have speed to drive past their defenders. They both played very well. Wilson and Coates were not bad, but this loss hangs on the shoulders of Harris, Davis and to an extent Gray (though she gets credit for the defensive number she did on KLS) for not stretching the UConn defense.

I still think a UConn team with Zika would be able to come away with a win vs. Tennessee, unfortunately...

Stats for forwards 5'11" Williams and 6'1" Collier vs SC forwards 6'5" Wilson and 6'4" Coates -
UConn 44 points and 23 rebounds
USC 27 points and 20 rebounds.

I guess you can teach tall after all.

USC guards actually outscored the UConn guards 17 to 15. UConn shot a miserable 23% from outside, USC had a better (relatively) shooting percentage from outside but The big difference was in assists and turnovers.

I agree that if USC guards had been better at shooting threes, the outcome of the game may have been different.

Reactions: 2 people
well, maybe not exactly but I really like SC's chances tonight. They are playing well and with all the hype about this being UCon's 100th win they couldn't have a bigger incentive. Go 'Cocks!

and it will take my mind off this past weekend!

No sec team or any other team has a chance against Uconn. It's sad and boring

Stats for forwards 5'11" Williams and 6'1" Collier vs SC forwards 6'5" Wilson and 6'4" Coates -

USC guards actually outscored the UConn guards 17 to 15. UConn shot a miserable 23% from outside, USC had a better (relatively) shooting percentage from outside but The big difference was in assists and turnovers.

I agree that if USC guards had been better at shooting threes, the outcome of the game may have been different.

Wilson and Coates have no excuse for letting UConn outrebound them that badly in the first half. They picked it up in the second, but were unable to stop Williams' dribble drives. The two posts also got a lot of easy points in transition. Their speed killed SC, even if they didn't have the height.

Even though UConn's guards weren't scoring, they are scoring threats. You have to guard them. If SC left Chong open the way that UConn left Harris open, she would have killed them. The inability of Harris to shoot and inability of Cuevas to run an offense proved to be too much of a barrier to overcome.

The only way that SC was going to win was if if Davis and Gray opened up the inside with some perimeter shooting. SC's offense was stagnant and too predictable when they did get going. Game, set and match.

I've been saying all season USC's point guards are the reason they won't go to the Final Four, and you could see why last night. Their point guard play really isn't any better than Tennessee's.

Holly dodged a bullet with Davis. Once a chucker always a chucker. The one game she might explode for 30 points isn't worth the next five games she shoots 1 for 10.

Coates got a lot of rebounds and scored a few points but she never really shows up for big games. Good player, but she has been overhyped for years....

No sec team or any other team has a chance against Uconn. It's sad and boring

It's hard for SEC teams that struggle to score 60 points to beat anyone, especially UConn. How many years has it been since an SEC team has beaten UConn? LSU beat them when Fowles was playing, but that was a long time ago. I don't know if there has been a more recent SEC victory.

Did anyone other than I think that SC ran the Lady Vols offense? They continually threw the ball around the perimeter while looking inside. And,they were not as efficient as Lady Vols were against SC. Seemed like Dawn changed their offense somewhat after losing to Lady Vols.

Texas looked really good in beating Baylor last week. They've won 18 in a row since losing to UConn, and Holmes looks like a look for FOY.

I haven't seen FSU play this year, but they've played UConn the closest this year. Should be a good game.

Texas vs FSU was almost entertaining. Texas looks much better than UT.

Texas vs FSU was almost entertaining. Texas looks much better than UT.

It was good once the first quarter was over.

And I agree...Texas is a really good team. Much better than Tennessee. Better guards and strong inside game.

Staley is no better as a coach than Warlick. Neither is remotely in Geno's league.

One thing that made Tenn proud in the UConn game, is Dangerfield looks to be a future superstar!!

I agree. However, in the post game presser Auriemma said "she pisses me off (his words)" - something related to her work ethic and learning curve. Not unusual for a freshman, especially a point guard and he knows she'll "get it" eventually.

I agree. However, in the post game presser Auriemma said "she pisses me off (his words)" - something related to her work ethic and learning curve. Not unusual for a freshman, especially a point guard and he knows she'll "get it" eventually.

Brassie, are you saying you agree in that you were proud?

I would hope I am in the majority on a "Tennessee Lady Vol" board when I say I don't give a CRAP about what either of them says or does!!

Did anyone other than I think that SC ran the Lady Vols offense? They continually threw the ball around the perimeter while looking inside. And,they were not as efficient as Lady Vols were against SC. Seemed like Dawn changed their offense somewhat after losing to Lady Vols.

Did you see how Uconn did not even guard point guard(Harris) now that is strategy and coaching in its purest form! And what did Stanley do? Brought in Cuavis to shoot the three but still trying to force the ball inside! Uconn has athletic players who hustle, play aggressive, and execute a offensive pattern...

Holly has No offensive patterns.... we force the ball inside to Baby Huey and play with lackadaisical attitude! Any aggressive team will beat us as there is no winning attitude! We have mental midgets when teams challenge us aggressively. This is why Nared is disappearing and Mercedes lets munchicans push her around and block her shots. Sports is not all athletic.... there is a mental part to the game that Holly and our ladies just don't get.

The only games we will win is when we have better athletes and IF we do not get OUT COACHED! Just a sad situation.

A coaches personality rubs off on the players. If a coach is not aggressive and coach timid and unsure then the players will follow suit. If a coach knows hes/shes the ish then the players will believe in their philospy and execute it .

Yep ....you hit nail on the head .The only reason they stayed close in 1st half was desperation 3 pointers made when shot clock was ready to expire.SC wanted to control tempo by passing ball around perimeter thus slowing down the game and it worked in 1st half due to 3 point shhoting but the continued trying to get ball inside in 2nd half was a miserable failure resulting in several turnovers which UCONN turned into easy points.When UCONN stretched the lead to double digits,I thought that Staley would change tactics and speed up the game but she made no adjustments at all.UCONN's adjustments at the half paid huge dividends and the rest is history.I thought that Staley was better than what she showed last nite.....was sadly wrong .

I have noticed for years that Geno makes the defensive adjustments at half time which wins him the games. MM2 from ND torched Uconn for 20 in the first half last year. She was shut down in the second half. Last night Aja Wilson had a decent half. The second half she struggled against the defensive adjustments. Geno does not come out in the 1Q with winning defensive strategy in big games. He doesn't let the other coaches make adjustments to counter his strategy either in the first half or at half time. It is all about the level of coaching.

Reactions: 3 people
I have noticed for years that Geno makes the defensive adjustments at half time which wins him the games. MM2 from ND torched Uconn for 20 in the first half last year. She was shut down in the second half. Last night Aja Wilson had a decent half. The second half she struggled against the defensive adjustments. Geno does not come out in the 1Q with winning defensive strategy in big games. He doesn't let the other coaches make adjustments to counter his strategy either in the first half or at half time. It is all about the level of coaching.

Agree ....I had the same observation and Staley never changed a thing .

VN Store

Back