Recruiting news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goins and Asumnu tried football but didn't work.

The difference between those guys and elder though is he's actually a good bball player. I mean he has good offers, and is a top 150 guy.

Goins tried after his basketball career was up though didn't he?

Brent Hubbs says this is a guy getting looked at by butch jones who will get football scholarship with chance to play basketball if he comes here...tifwiw

De'Runnya Wilson - Yahoo! Sports

Kid has some stats-
Derrunya Wilson Basketball Profile - Wenonah 12-13 - MaxPreps.

DeRunnya was runner up for Mr BB in Alabama last year and his jr teammate, a top PG
- Justin Coleman - scored 56 in a game last week.
Justin Coleman Basketball Profile - Wenonah 12-13 - MaxPreps

Bring him on!

I think we are looking at Darius Thompson from Murfreesboro TN. I am at his game right now and Coach Harris is here watching him. He has offers from Auburn, Butler, and Vanderbilt.

Complete speculation here...Martin and staff are rumored to be looking in the JUCO ranks at PGs...Dre Mathieu?

He's from central, went to Morehead state and transferred to central Arizona (juco). He's looking to transfer back to D1, already has some offers, but low level D1 schools.

He's very explosive, some may remember him from the RTL. He's putting up good numbers in JUCO, just thought id throw it out there.

Dang good ballplayer at Central! I watched him play more than a few games. It would be nice to see him come back. I'm not holding m breath though.

I think we are looking at Darius Thompson from Murfreesboro TN. I am at his game right now and Coach Harris is here watching him. He has offers from Auburn, Butler, and Vanderbilt.

Good call, just posted this in another thread. He seems to be the primary target of staff right now.

Good call, just posted this in another thread. He seems to be the primary target of staff right now.

I go to school with him. He really likes Butler and Vanderbilt. He has offers from both of them. Stalings has been to many of his games. Yesterday he had a Butler jacket on. He wants to be an accountant so that's why he is looking at them. One game a Texas A&M coach was there. I'm on the basketball team there so ill post anything if I find it out.

Last edited:
I go to school with him. He really likes Butler and Vanderbilt. He has offers from both of them. Starlings has been to many of his games. Yesterday he had a Butler jacket on. He wants to be an accountant so that's why he is looking at them. One game a Texas A&M coach was there. I'm on the basketball team there so ill post anything if I find it out.

Thanks really appreciate it, keep us updated.

Not very impressed by his "pg skills". Nice shot, but we need a quick good handling guard.

Darius Thompson - 2013 Guard - Scouting Video - YouTube

That video was at the end of last year. He has really matured and has really developed those "PG skills" you talked about. He does have a very good shot from outside and he can also get up and slam it. I remember one day during practice he threw a ball off the wall behind the backboard and it bounced and he did a windmill, kinda like the one Blake Griffin did during the practices for the Olympics.

That video was at the end of last year. He has really matured and has really developed those "PG skills" you talked about. He does have a very good shot from outside and he can also get up and slam it. I remember one day during practice he threw a ball off the wall behind the backboard and it bounced and he did a windmill, kinda like the one Blake Griffin did during the practices for the Olympics.

I'm just very worried seeing that, but I'd like to see his senior progression. We've tried the athletic guards (Washpun and Moore) and it hasn't worked so far. We tried the 2 guard turn them into a PG and that hasn't worked with Moore either. Right now our biggest weakness is a very good ball handler, who's super quick and can stay in front of a quick PG...I just don't see that in that tape of him, but like I said hopefully he has progressed. Obviously with Tennessee coaches there they're doing their homework on him.

Rob Lewis on Corn Elder...

"Tennessee seems to be taking a very hard look at him now, not sure that he's a 'target' yet, meaning don't believe they are pulling the trigger on an offer right now, but he is definitely getting more and more attention from the staff. This is at least two times in the last 3-4 weeks that someone from the staff has gone to see him play.*

I don't know what he will end up doing, many people seem to think that if he got the 'right' offer in basketball he would prefer to play that in college.

Tennessee clearly seems intrigued and I get the very definite impression that they would like to add a PG in the spring, whether it's Elder or someone else. Maymon's redshirt takes the pressure off having to find some stop-gap help in the post, so I anticipate all the staff's efforts as far as the late period goes will be on the backcourt."

I'm just very worried seeing that, but I'd like to see his senior progression. We've tried the athletic guards (Washpun and Moore) and it hasn't worked so far. We tried the 2 guard turn them into a PG and that hasn't worked with Moore either. Right now our biggest weakness is a very good ball handler, who's super quick and can stay in front of a quick PG...I just don't see that in that tape of him, but like I said hopefully he has progressed. Obviously with Tennessee coaches there they're doing their homework on him.

Hey BTNO..... Didn't you blast me a few weeks ago when I said that UT needed to recruit an actual point guard rather than try to convert a "2 guard" to a point guard?????

Hey BTNO..... Didn't you blast me a few weeks ago when I said that UT needed to recruit an actual point guard rather than try to convert a "2 guard" to a point guard?????

Because you were referring to golden, I'm referring to Thompson & Moore, thought that was pretty clear. No?

BTO, So with the return of Maymon we are done in the post? Landry is not doing well so we are looking to take another pg?

Yea I think we are done in the post, unless some highly rated post just falls in our lap that we can't pass up.

Right now the staffs attention appears to have turned to PG, and understandably so. The 2 names that seem to be popping up most are Cornelius Elder and Darius Thompson. Both are PGs from Tennessee, and both are borderline top 150 players. Both guys have some very good offers and would both be great addition to this team.

Elder is a bit of an interesting scenario because he would likely also play football (good FB prospect). So, he would actually use a FB scholarship and not a basketball scholarship so really an ideal scenario for this staff. They then could still go out and pursue Thompson, or if they wanted to save the scholarship could do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back