Recruiting news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which was a response to you call me a "hater".

Fair enough.

And I am a sheep for Pearl in regards to what he did here. However, I've said multiple times he got buster douglas'd by the NCAA. He may never get back to where he was and I don't think he will ever be a realistic option at UT. I'm cool with that. There's tons of good basketball coaches out there.

Also, somehow I got my threads mixed up and this isn't even the thread where the discussion started. That said, it's time to end it anyway. I just thought that guy had a good comeback today and got my popcorn ready for the onslaught which ended up being me taking you guys on.

Cheers.

So if Barnes say lands Lavar Batts in the 2017 class thus giving him a class like that while according to you never leaving Knoxville, then his recruiting strategy sure as hell would appear to be working regardless of what it is, that's my point.

1. I didn't say he never leaves Knoxville. I get what you're saying though. I've beaten that horse to death. Again, my problem is more big picture with the Des quote.
  • He shouldn't have said it.
  • I'm scared that he believes it.
  • He hasn't earned that right.
  • Even if he had, he lost it when he got fired at Texas.
  • It is not the attitude I want for UTBB staff.

2. He hasn't landed Batts yet.

3. Is his strategy going to be "hope that coaches take other jobs and he can land kids who ask for a release" ??

1. I didn't say he never leaves Knoxville. I get what you're saying though. I've beaten that horse to death. Again, my problem is more big picture with the Des quote.
  • He shouldn't have said it.
  • I'm scared that he believes it.
  • He hasn't earned that right.
  • Even if he had, he lost it when he got fired at Texas.
  • It is not the attitude I want for UTBB staff.

2. He hasn't landed Batts yet.

3. Is his strategy going to be "hope that coaches take other jobs and he can land kids who ask for a release" ??

As I have said all along idc how he recruits, promotes, drives around town etc. if he is winning ball games. This article comes out about Barnes and yet months later he lands by far his highest rated recruit, a guy some scouts have said has NBA potential written all over him, so do you see why I'm dismissive of said article?

If they can land Pons, then IMO they very likely can land other quality recruits, but most importantly are going to land guys who they have evaluated and feel are a fit. Kwe Parker was a top 100 recruit for a long time, why, because he could jump? I would take Jordan Bowden any day over Kwe Parker based on what we have seen, you wouldn't?

My point being, Tennessee had no issue landing guys in the '16 class, some of which were pretty highly rated, what it seems to me is that Tennessee didn't get Stokes, the '16 class wasn't looking too hot, and then Oliver makes the comment and people freak out. Barnes went to Florida to see Uyaelunmo multiple times, we still didn't land him, so I just don't really see much to that article.

Again, if you get the guys like the Grant Williams, Bowden's, Bone's etc. who are nice players that will be coached, work hard and stay their careers here I have maintained I think it's a strategy that can work. The overall point is that all they need to do is win, Auburn is recruiting great but still sucks, so just recruiting better isn't going to get people off his back if the wins don't follow.

Reactions: 1 person
Bottom line for me, make the NCAAT next year or it's time to seriously consider parting ways. I want him to recruit better but if he wins with a team full of 3 stars, then I don't care.

Says who? You?

He earned the right to not have to recruit as much so if he's doing what he did last year it's not enough.

You gonna give Barnes a cookie every time he enters a gym?

Nope, just gonna keep posting it as it blows a hole in your narrative that "Barnes never leaves Knoxville to recruit".

Barnes in Nashville to see Darius Garland tonight, rough few days for the "Barnes doesn't leave Knoxville" crowd.

4a7033ffce4b6221302d85cd2e7d6073.png

3d7a7ab410944e2d8478fc0340141231.png

https://t.co/u47B3mUOx3

And apparently as evidenced by his miles put on the road it was either poorly worded or simply not true, you pick.

Or maybe you are making excuses. He didn't misspeak. He said what he meant. They feel Barnes has earned the right to not have to recruit as hard as other coaches. That wasn't said by accident.

That doesn't mean that he doesn't recruit at all.

The sense of entitlement is what is concerning.

Or maybe you are making excuses. He didn't misspeak. He said what he meant. They feel Barnes has earned the right to not have to recruit as hard as other coaches. That wasn't said by accident.

Well you and a host of others took his comment to mean Barnes didn't leave Knoxville to recruit, now that a hole has clearly been shot into that theory you've changed your tune on what was meant.

I don't feel like I should have to get up every morning and work, but I still do it? If Oliver feels that Barnes has earned the right to sit at home if he so chooses to, yet Barnes refuses to just sit at home and spends his time at Pratt or out recruiting then it sounds to me like your actual issue here is with Oliver.

If Josh McDaniel's said in an interview that Belichik has earned the right to not go to college pro days, or the NFL combine, but Belichick continues to go to pro days and the combine, then I'm not really sure of the big deal? It would seem to me some may take issue with McDaniel's belief that BB had earned that right, but if BB didn't say it and isn't acting like it then I'm not sure the issue?

In short, I feel your concern over this sense of entitlement is wth Oliver and not Barnes

Last edited:
Well you and a host of others took his comment to mean Barnes didn't leave Knoxville to recruit, now that a hole has clearly been shot into that theory you've changed your tune on what was meant.

I don't feel like I should have to get up every morning and work, but I still do it? If Oliver feels that Barnes has earned the right to sit at home if he so chooses to, yet Barnes refuses to just sit at home and spends his time at Pratt or out recruiting then it sounds to me like your actual issue here is with Oliver.

If Josh McDaniel's said in an interview that Belichik has earned the right to not go to college pro days, or the NFL combine, but Belichick continues to go to pro days and the combine, then I'm not really sure of the big deal? It would seem to me some may take issue with McDaniel's belief that BB had earned that right, but if BB didn't say it and isn't acting like it then I'm not sure the issue?

In short, I feel your concern over this sense of entitlement is wth Oliver and not Barnes

Let me know when Belichick gets fired and McDaniel says something like that. He wouldn't say it anyway because he doesn't look for ways to get out of work. He wants to win and does what it takes.

You must be new to college basketball recruiting. Head coaches are not out doing all the evaluating its the assistants and the head coach travels when they lock in on a kid. And as for the last 2 years during the open eval periods CRB has been on the road every day for 3 weeks. But you don't want to talk about that. Also do you sit in the private airport lobby and count how many times CRB gets on a flight to see a kid or are you basing everything by if someone tweets about him on twitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back