Recruiting news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to say that I'm officially putting Austin Nichols on my wish list (the first of the '13 class). As of now, I hope we land him the most.

Just want to say that I'm officially putting Austin Nichols on my wish list (the first of the '13 class). As of now, I hope we land him the most.

Due to our need in the post that's probably a good choice.

If it didn't matter about position I'd probably go with hubbs or Mostella, but because of our need in the post Nichols is a good pick.

I think this guy is newly added to this site as being recruited by UT. Not much to find about him. Has someone brought him up before? Rivals also shows him with an offer from UT Clyde Santee Player Profile, Highlights, Offers, Twitter | Verbal Commits - College Basketball Recruiting

Did some looking around and found this guy is on the same team as Santee. Melvin Swift - Yahoo! Sports He's probably why they were there to begin with. 6&#398" Melvin Swift DUNKS All Over the Competition!-Best GAME DUNKER Of 2014? | BALLISLIFE - #1 Source For Basketball Mixtapes on Blip

^ and seeing as how we don't have anymore scholarships I'd say we aren't making room for a 2*

I know. But this is another link showing him with an offer. Clyde Santee He also has an interview online where he talks about going to Prep school. So who knows, but I just thought I would put it on here since I don't think it's someone they were on earlier and have gone stale ( since I cannot find his name in any post on VN) but instead have just started talking to.

Last edited:
I know. But this is another link showing him with an offer. Clyde Santee He also has an interview online where he talks about going to Prep school. So who knows, but I just thought I would put it on here since I don't think it's someone they were on earlier and have gone stale ( since I cannot find his name in any post on VN) but instead have just started talking to.

And another Clyde Santee - Yahoo! Sports

Actually a pretty impressive offer list.

Seems odd he's willing to go prep for a year if he's unsure, maybe his recruitment has really taken off?

Espn has him as a 2* 88 grade, but also haven't updated recently as they have him as a 6'6" SF, so maybe he'd be up to a 3* possibly.

I have no answers. His high school is apparently the real deal though. Search for Yates high school in houston. Maybe it's a thing where he just gets over shadowed by other players since they are so good. The 2014 kid in the other link I posted is already a 4 star on rivals. So it's possible Santee is just an under the radar guy. I do find it quite telling that UT is suppossed to be out of schollys but this guy has just popped up as having an offer.

Maybe he was offered say back when Fabyon and Armani were offered and it's just now showing up.

Otherwise I have no clue where the scholarship would be coming from.

If I had to make a guess...miller or Reese(prep), those are the only 2 I can muster an explanation for...

I have no answers. His high school is apparently the real deal though. Search for Yates high school in houston. Maybe it's a thing where he just gets over shadowed by other players since they are so good. The 2014 kid in the other link I posted is already a 4 star on rivals. So it's possible Santee is just an under the radar guy. I do find it quite telling that UT is suppossed to be out of schollys but this guy has just popped up as having an offer.

Clyde Santee is a 6-8, 200-pound power forward out of Yates High School in Houston, Texas. He's averaging 24 points and eight rebounds a game this season at Yates. He was already named the Most Valuable Player in the South Padre tournament and the HISD tournament earlier this year.

i dont think he's being overshadowed with those numbers. ill add that in the article i got this from he said he had to get his academics in order earlier this season, so maybe thats why his recruitment didnt take off. he said he got them in order by the end of 1st semester so starting around january or so is really when schools started coming after him probably.

Clyde Santee is a 6-8, 200-pound power forward out of Yates High School in Houston, Texas. He's averaging 24 points and eight rebounds a game this season at Yates. He was already named the Most Valuable Player in the South Padre tournament and the HISD tournament earlier this year.

i dont think he's being overshadowed with those numbers. ill add that in the article i got this from he said he had to get his academics in order earlier this season, so maybe thats why his recruitment didnt take off. he said he got them in order by the end of 1st semester so starting around january or so is really when schools started coming after him probably.

So what's your point, exactly? First you tell me we probably aren't recruiting him because he's a 2 star. So I give a guess at why he might be only a 2 star and still warrant a look and you start throwing stats at me. I just posted the dudes name because I saw it on another site, in the future I'll just keep it to myself.

Peace

So what's your point, exactly? First you tell me we probably aren't recruiting him because he's a 2 star. So I give a guess at why he might be only a 2 star and still warrant a look and you start throwing stats at me. I just posted the dudes name because I saw it on another site, in the future I'll just keep it to myself.

Peace

Wow don't be so sensitive.

First, I never said we weren't recruiting him, obviously we were/are because he has an offer from us. What I said was I doubt we're going to make room for this guy, meaning I doubt CCM says hey chievous sorry but get lost for this guy. That's all I meant, never said we weren't recruiting him because clearly we were. However, it still remains unknown when the offer was made, maybe it was awhile ago and since has been rescinded.

Second, me throwing the stats out there was more supporting your original point about the guy. I was simply suggesting he probably wasn't overshadowed because his numbers were impressive. I didn't throw the stats out there to shoot down your theory, I simply found an article on him with his stats and so I relayed the message.

I'm just trying to make sense of the guy and try to get some information on him and if he possibly is still bing recruited, that's all. No need to get all torn up about it and say you'll just keep it to yourself in the future. All I did was post his stats and say he probably wasn overshadowed, that's all. As I said previously, he apparently had academic issues so maybe that's why he didn't garner too much attention.

Sorry if what I said rubbed you the wrong way, it wasn't meant to, I was simply just posting the guys numbers.

Wow don't be so sensitive.

First, I never said we weren't recruiting him, obviously we were/are because he has an offer from us. What I said was I doubt we're going to make room for this guy, meaning I doubt CCM says hey chievous sorry but get lost for this guy. That's all I meant, never said we weren't recruiting him because clearly we were. However, it still remains unknown when the offer was made, maybe it was awhile ago and since has been rescinded.

Second, me throwing the stats out there was more supporting your original point about the guy. I was simply suggesting he probably wasn't overshadowed because his numbers were impressive. I didn't throw the stats out there to shoot down your theory, I simply found an article on him with his stats and so I relayed the message.

I'm just trying to make sense of the guy and try to get some information on him and if he possibly is still bing recruited, that's all. No need to get all torn up about it and say you'll just keep it to yourself in the future. All I did was post his stats and say he probably wasn overshadowed, that's all. As I said previously, he apparently had academic issues so maybe that's why he didn't garner too much attention.

Sorry if what I said rubbed you the wrong way, it wasn't meant to, I was simply just posting the guys numbers.

When you start a post with 5 words custom made to pi$$ other people off, do you really think apologizing at the end helps?

When you start a post with 5 words custom made to pi$$ other people off, do you really think apologizing at the end helps?

saying, "wow dont be so sensitive", is a phrase that is custom made to piss you off???

my bad man...let me rephrase.

this is a message board, try not to take things out of context, because you may read something with a completely different tone than the person typing it meant it. case in point, my original post with Santee's stats was in no way to belittle you or anything, but you seemed to take it that way.

ive apologized, if youre still mad i dont really know what to say, i didnt mean it that way, sorry man.

saying, "wow dont be so sensitive", is a phrase that is custom made to piss you off???

my bad man...let me rephrase.

this is a message board, try not to take things out of context, because you may read something with a completely different tone than the person typing it meant it. case in point, my original post with Santee's stats was in no way to belittle you or anything, but you seemed to take it that way.

ive apologized, if youre still mad i dont really know what to say, i didnt mean it that way, sorry man.

Wow don't be so sensitive. It was just a question.

Ok...

Anyways...Santee is an interesting recruit. wonder if we get him?

I like the idea of a big guy coming, but again who might we possibly be giving up on in 2013 to take this guy this year? Would a red shirted Santee, with a year of college practice, weight lifting, and training table be better than one of the guys UT is in on for 2013?

I like the idea of a big guy coming, but again who might we possibly be giving up on in 2013 to take this guy this year? Would a red shirted Santee, with a year of college practice, weight lifting, and training table be better than one of the guys UT is in on for 2013?

I suppose thats the big question, id have to know the shake up to really answer that. for example(and i'll get bashed for this) if Santee came here, and as a result reese went prep and never came to UT, id take that in a heartbeat.

BUT if santee came here and miller left, and as a result it was one less scholarship for next year i dont know if id take that. the guy seems to have good size, and his numbers look good as does his offer list.

i guess id probably like to add santee either way. worst case scenario is he comes here and he takes a scholarship from miller whos gone next year and as a result is 1 less we can sign next year. still though, he'll have a year in the system and probably will be in better position to contribute in the post in 2013 over someone like rimmer or whitman. even with santee replacing miller, that still leaves us atleast 2 scholarships to offer for 2013(excluding landry). i think there will be some attrition again and im hoping for atleast 3 other scholarships besides landry, but post is such a need next year that adding santee this year and grooming him for a year may be a big benefit.

as you said it kind of comes down to would you rather have santee here this year, but as a result sign one less in 2013? thats a tough one. if we can have santee, but not have to forfeit a scholarship next year, im all for that.(thatd be someone like reese or chievous leaving for santee) I will say if i had to bet, id say we wont add anybody else. its gettting late in the year for guys to transfer and i think if anyone was going to they most likely would have by now.

Last edited:
I suppose thats the big question, id have to know the shake up to really answer that. for example(and i'll get bashed for this) if Santee came here, and as a result reese went prep and never came to UT, id take that in a heartbeat.

BUT if santee came here and miller left, and as a result it was one less scholarship for next year i dont know if id take that. the guy seems to have good size, and his numbers look good as does his offer list.

i guess id probably like to add santee either way. worst case scenario is he comes here and he takes a scholarship from miller whos gone next year and as a result is 1 less we can sign next year. still though, he'll have a year in the system and probably will be in better position to contribute in the post in 2013 over someone like rimmer or whitman. even with santee replacing miller, that still leaves us atleast 2 scholarships to offer for 2013(excluding landry). i think there will be some attrition again and im hoping for atleast 3 other scholarships besides landry, but post is such a need next year that adding santee this year and grooming him for a year may be a big benefit.

as you said it kind of comes down to would you rather have santee here this year, but as a result sign one less in 2013? thats a tough one. if we can have santee, but not have to forfeit a scholarship next year, im all for that.(thatd be someone like reese or chievous leaving for santee) I will say if i had to bet, id say we wont add anybody else. its gettting late in the year for guys to transfer and i think if anyone was going to they most likely would have by now.

For Martin to still be out recruiting 2012 guys, something has to be up. He wouldn't be out there putting out offers to guys without some kind of plan. I almost want him to sign someone, just so he would show his hand, and then we could all go "awww, that's what was going on."

On a maybe related topic, last year someone on the UCONN team gave up their scholarship so that Drummomd could sign with the Huskies. A big deal was made of the kid being a team player to give up his scholarship and pay out of state tuition (he was from Tennessee) so the team would be better. At some point later, UCONN came out and said that he wouldn't have to pay his own way, that an academic scholarship had been found for him (not sure how this isn't against NCAA rules). I wonder if there is someone on UT's roster, that if needed could give up their athletic scholarship and instead take an acedemic one. Just a thought.:question::question:

For Martin to still be out recruiting 2012 guys, something has to be up. He wouldn't be out there putting out offers to guys without some kind of plan. I almost want him to sign someone, just so he would show his hand, and then we could all go "awww, that's what was going on."

On a maybe related topic, last year someone on the UCONN team gave up their scholarship so that Drummomd could sign with the Huskies. A big deal was made of the kid being a team player to give up his scholarship and pay out of state tuition (he was from Tennessee) so the team would be better. At some point later, UCONN came out and said that he wouldn't have to pay his own way, that an academic scholarship had been found for him (not sure how this isn't against NCAA rules). I wonder if there is someone on UT's roster, that if needed could give up their athletic scholarship and instead take an acedemic one. Just a thought.:question::question:

not saying this is the case, but i havent heard anything about the staff recruiting this guy lately. usually you'll hear they were in working him out or contacted him or anything, and i havent heard anything. im wondering, did they offer him back when they offered fabyon, and armani and it was kind of a whichever one committs first we take? im not saying this is the scenario, but maybe hes had an offer for awhile and we are just now finding out about it...

as far as the drummond situation a few things...1.(The Day - Drummond now a walk on at UConn | News from southeastern Connecticut) i believe drummond actually ended up walking on, which i thought was a violation? you cant be a recruited walk on and play your first year i thought that was a rule??? 2. i brought it up awhile ago, and got absolutely bashed for it, i said how about mcbee? i didnt say force him or anything like that, i simply said, what if CCM just brought it up to him. hes in state, hes a good student, so iirc he would probably receive close to 100% scholarship anyways, it just wouldnt be athletic scholarship. being an in-state kid he'd also qualify for the hope scholarship depending on his grades iirc. this idea was shot down by everyone, but to me i thought it was actually plausible. its not like youre pulling a low blow to skylar, he still is going to school for free, he just wouldnt be on an academic scholarship. unfortunately thats taking away a scholarship from next years class all over again. id prefer it be for someon like reese or chievous.

not saying this is the case, but i havent heard anything about the staff recruiting this guy lately. usually you'll hear they were in working him out or contacted him or anything, and i havent heard anything. im wondering, did they offer him back when they offered fabyon, and armani and it was kind of a whichever one committs first we take? im not saying this is the scenario, but maybe hes had an offer for awhile and we are just now finding out about it...

as far as the drummond situation a few things...1.(The Day - Drummond now a walk on at UConn | News from southeastern Connecticut) i believe drummond actually ended up walking on, which i thought was a violation? you cant be a recruited walk on and play your first year i thought that was a rule??? 2. i brought it up awhile ago, and got absolutely bashed for it, i said how about mcbee? i didnt say force him or anything like that, i simply said, what if CCM just brought it up to him. hes in state, hes a good student, so iirc he would probably receive close to 100% scholarship anyways, it just wouldnt be athletic scholarship. being an in-state kid he'd also qualify for the hope scholarship depending on his grades iirc. this idea was shot down by everyone, but to me i thought it was actually plausible. its not like youre pulling a low blow to skylar, he still is going to school for free, he just wouldnt be on an academic scholarship. unfortunately thats taking away a scholarship from next years class all over again. id prefer it be for someon like reese or chievous.

1) okay. Yeah I had it backwards. It was Drummond they just "found" "non-institutional" aid for. Seemed fishy either way.

2). It depends on how much aid McBee would get. The Hope scholarship doesn't cover the whole of tuition from what I understand. If McBee still got a free ride out of it I am okay with it if he is okay with it.

At this late a date, it seem for them to add someone it would almost have to be by Reese or Edwards not making it to campus.

1) okay. Yeah I had it backwards. It was Drummond they just "found" "non-institutional" aid for. Seemed fishy either way.

2). It depends on how much aid McBee would get. The Hope scholarship doesn't cover the whole of tuition from what I understand. If McBee still got a free ride out of it I am okay with it if he is okay with it.

At this late a date, it seem for them to add someone it would almost have to be by Reese or Edwards not making it to campus.

yea originally bradley was going to give up his scholly but then drummond said no, fishy right. apparently the rule is, you can be a walk on IF YOU RECEIVE NO FINANCIAL BENEFIT FROM THE SCHOOL...so from what i gathered drummonds family took out a loan for his tuition...interesting.

i was under the impression hope scholarship did, but im not 100% on that one, there may be different levels as well.

yea thats what i was saying, it is almost too late itd seem for a transfer to be likely so itd have to be a newcomer. i doubt itd be moore so itd have to be reese or edwards, you know which one i hope it is. i do feel like i heard something about edwards awhile back having some academic issues. this may have stemmed back from his highschool days, thus the reason he went juco, but who knows.

“@Coast2CoastHoop: Duke, UNLV, UCLA, Tennessee, LSU, Memphis and more are currently watching 2015 Dream Vision (NV) center Stephen Zimmerman.”

Bleeding,Tennessee has the facilities and resources and coaching staff to recruit the Top talent in the country and that is what I expect!! Go Vols!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back