Recruiting Forum: UNofficial Utath State Pre-Game Thread

This is getting real.

To start off, screw Chuckie Keaton and his bs hype. Welcome to the biggest stage in college football where you can't hear yourself think if we decide not to let you. Not scared of Utah State. Sorry. Just not.

Lane and Hurd go ham. Maggit and Vereen are in that QB's face mask all day.

Vols pile it on early and often.
49-14

Go big orange

Reactions: 8 people
I'm thinking a 31-20 score sounds about right. We have a long bruising drive in the mid 4th QTR to take it from 4pt lead to 11 and it's all she wrote.

GAME WEEK people!!!!!

aVOSkIC.gif

Reactions: 2 people
This is a huge game for various reasons. Losing this game would be a major confidence blow to such a young and rebuilding team. This is a game we must win in order to bowl at the end of the year. Butch knows this and these kids will know it. As worried as I am about our defensive front, in the end I believe it's the defense that pulls us through in a hard fought battle.

28-21 vols

The time is nearly upon us... football time in TENNESSEE!

I'll continue to do my annual game week threads if people are interested. Use it as a place to discuss the game specifically.

It would be groovy if the recruiting forum could also use this as the GAME THREAD also, just to keep the "Football Talk" thread from having thousands of "yes!" "No" "TD" type of posts, but that doesn't always happen. :p

Utah State (US)... in previous years, Tennessee fans could have cared less who Utah State was. In fact, for a while, if it wasn't Florida or Bama, it was already considered a win. The times have changed, and fortunately, they are continuing to change, because the previous decade has not been easy on TN fans.

Keys to Victory:

1. Contain Chuckie: US's QB is efficient with the football, completing an impressive 66% of his passes for his career. He has a quick release and is able to use his legs to get yardage when the play breaks down.

The key for Tennessee is how our new defensive line handles US's new O-line. It seems like TN fans have seen our defense lose containment on the QB thousands of times over the last few seasons. If we cannot contain Chuckie Keaton, it will be a very long night.

2. US WR's vs TN DB: It's no secret that Tennessee has better athletes than Utah State. US will be breaking in new WR's, while TN has upgraded across the board at DB.

I don't look for US to beat TN down the field on pure athleticism. The key will be to jam the receivers up at the line, and take away the short game. If all goes well, Keaton will have pressure on him, and we must be careful not to let those drawn out plays where the QB scrambles and receivers break off their routes and just try to get open kill us on 3rd downs.

3. Who are you? Much has been speculated about Worley this summer. At first, he was Joe Montana light... camping with guru's, stronger arm, confidence... then somewhere along the way, the PERCEPTION of him begin to shift back to "Same ole'". The truth is probably somewhere in between, but this will be our first chance to at least have an idea of where he is. Hitting open receivers on short routes would be a welcomed improvement.

As for the gameplan, look for the coaching staff to implement shorter patterns, screens and crosses, to take advantage of our superior athletes, and to take the risk out of the down the field passes. Worley needs his confidence, and the coaches will help him out by getting the ball into the hands of Pearson, Pig and Smith in the short game.

4. Fresh Princes of K-town:
Tennessee's most heralded recruiting class in years is ready to strap it on. All eyes will be on these freshmen, to see the beginnings of who could restore us to CFB relevance.

5. Speed, speed, speed!
By all reports, the Vols are faster... and stronger than they have been in years. This should be noticeable on the field as the team looks to fly to the ball, and Worley should be breaking the huddle faster than ever to keep the defense on their heels.

Final Score Prediction: I think Utah State comes in with a stronger defense then UT fans would expect. The offense will bog down from time to time, leaving that absolute frustrating feeling in the pit of your stomach as US hangs in there. The TN running game is better than average. Keaton gives us fits, and a young defense struggles to keep up, but in the end, Neyland goes home happy... if not satisfied.

TN 34
US 27

Nice post. I like Vols 34 US 14 better.:eek:k:
GO VOLS!

USU is known for having a tough D, and I feel like we're setting ourselves up for disappointment by expecting our young offense to run the score up. I'd love to be wrong, but I'll let them prove it to me first.

On the other hand, I see a bit of a statement game for our defense. Not impressed with their offense outside of Keeton, and I think we have the defensive tools to do to him what we did to Glennon a few years ago - only we have more defensive talent and a much, much better coaching staff in 2014.

24-10 Tennessee.

Last edited:
ANyone know when Bovada's college football lines go live? I am surprised that they haven't gone up yet...

Roolin in with a 6th grader from CA, Sunday. He has worked with Carr an Kessler from Bakersfield. He has been an all area player every year. We will be flyin in Thursday, hope Neyland is rocking. We had a blast at fresno st, but he has not seen SEC country. We will be lower level, row 14. GO VOLS!!!

Huh? 6th grader? We offering the 2020 guys now?

ESPN article up on Chuckie.. with a Dance Dance Revolution mention.. is this guy for real?

Utah State QB Chuckie Keeton prepares a big move this fall - ESPN

Just about the only thing Keeton hasn't done as part of his recovery is get back to playing the video game Dance Dance Revolution, one of the many ways he has kept those lightning-fast feet moving since he first burst down the right sideline as a 7-year-old, juking three defenders on a team named after the Packers.

We don't lose openers in Neyland to the likes of Utah State. Good quarterback, ok. Linebacker as good as we'll see all year - not buying that. We win and even have time in the 4th to grind out a long drive on the ground.
Vols 30
Utah State 17

Reactions: 1 person
The time is nearly upon us... football time in TENNESSEE!

I'll continue to do my annual game week threads if people are interested. Use it as a place to discuss the game specifically.

It would be groovy if the recruiting forum could also use this as the GAME THREAD also, just to keep the "Football Talk" thread from having thousands of "yes!" "No" "TD" type of posts, but that doesn't always happen. :p

Utah State (US)... in previous years, Tennessee fans could have cared less who Utah State was. In fact, for a while, if it wasn't Florida or Bama, it was already considered a win. The times have changed, and fortunately, they are continuing to change, because the previous decade has not been easy on TN fans.

Keys to Victory:

1. Contain Chuckie: US's QB is efficient with the football, completing an impressive 66% of his passes for his career. He has a quick release and is able to use his legs to get yardage when the play breaks down.

The key for Tennessee is how our new defensive line handles US's new O-line. It seems like TN fans have seen our defense lose containment on the QB thousands of times over the last few seasons. If we cannot contain Chuckie Keaton, it will be a very long night.

2. US WR's vs TN DB: It's no secret that Tennessee has better athletes than Utah State. US will be breaking in new WR's, while TN has upgraded across the board at DB.

I don't look for US to beat TN down the field on pure athleticism. The key will be to jam the receivers up at the line, and take away the short game. If all goes well, Keaton will have pressure on him, and we must be careful not to let those drawn out plays where the QB scrambles and receivers break off their routes and just try to get open kill us on 3rd downs.

3. Who are you? Much has been speculated about Worley this summer. At first, he was Joe Montana light... camping with guru's, stronger arm, confidence... then somewhere along the way, the PERCEPTION of him begin to shift back to "Same ole'". The truth is probably somewhere in between, but this will be our first chance to at least have an idea of where he is. Hitting open receivers on short routes would be a welcomed improvement.

As for the gameplan, look for the coaching staff to implement shorter patterns, screens and crosses, to take advantage of our superior athletes, and to take the risk out of the down the field passes. Worley needs his confidence, and the coaches will help him out by getting the ball into the hands of Pearson, Pig and Smith in the short game.

4. Fresh Princes of K-town:
Tennessee's most heralded recruiting class in years is ready to strap it on. All eyes will be on these freshmen, to see the beginnings of who could restore us to CFB relevance.

5. Speed, speed, speed!
By all reports, the Vols are faster... and stronger than they have been in years. This should be noticeable on the field as the team looks to fly to the ball, and Worley should be breaking the huddle faster than ever to keep the defense on their heels.

Final Score Prediction: I think Utah State comes in with a stronger defense then UT fans would expect. The offense will bog down from time to time, leaving that absolute frustrating feeling in the pit of your stomach as US hangs in there. The TN running game is better than average. Keaton gives us fits, and a young defense struggles to keep up, but in the end, Neyland goes home happy... if not satisfied.

TN 34
US 27

Spot on

Neyland goes home happy... if not satisfied.

I will take that all day and happily destroy my postgame meal at the Seymour Waffle House.

I go back and forth from it being a tight, 4 quarter game with a score like Nick predicted, to TN being able to hit some big plays on their secondary allowing them to jump up about 21-7ish and cruise to something like 34-20.

I just want a frigging win.

Well done Nick.
I posted the above not long ago in the Football forum, but that instantly turned into a train wreck...
If this game were played last year I have no doubt we lose it, sadly. This year it's so hard to know what to expect. I imagine we will not be able to score very much - if we are able to score against this team I will immediately upgrade my prediction of maybe 6 wins to probably 8+, because it will mean our newcomers are instant upgrades, which is rare.
Their defense is multiple and extremely well coached. Fackrell vs our OT's is a nightmare. He's either the best or second best edge rusher we'll face all year (Jenkins from UGA being the other). Elite athlete.
I stand by my opinion that USU is of the caliber of last year's UCF or NIU. The question is are we improved or are we in for another long year?

I'll say we win a coin flip game, 19-17 in the last minute.

Everyone, I encourage you to check out the linked game film of Chuckie Keeton. I wish our QB's had his decisiveness and clear grasp of the offense.

Same hype we heard about Petrino's WKU team with the "best RB in the country". I expect the same result.

Same hype we heard about Petrino's WKU team with the "best RB in the country". I expect the same result.

I expect the same outcome. I also expect us to look better than we did against WKU. We whooped them and didn't even look that great doing it.

VN Store

Back