Recruiting Forum: Official Georgia Pre-Game/Game Thread

If we put it all together for four quarters this one could get ugly. But I think it's more likely that UGA plays better than they did last week while we continue to struggle with consistency. Dobbs makes some big plays down the stretch, the defense comes up big late, and we win by two scores after a close game most of the way.

UT - 34
UGA - 24

Shoop has Chaney's number too.

Yep. I think getting up early is the key in this game because it will make Chaney want to throw more, and Eason will fold under the pressure of Shoop's aggressive defense. If this happens, I expect multiple turnovers.

If we get constant pressure on Eason we win. Can't let him sit back and have time to throw.

I'm a bit late this week, and honestly, short on time. I am not personally putting a lot of time into the research on this one, but Darth Shiveman has done some good leg work on UGA this week, so I'm borrowing heavily from him. :hi:

Keys to Victory:

1. Defensive Lockdown: The Vols have played excellent second half defense this season, but we have yet to see a full game. UGA QB Eason is a big boy and has a very strong arm. However, he's about as quick as a can of biscuits. He's been sacked 9 times already.

Nick Chubb is banged up with a sprained ankle, but Brian Herrien holds his own in the backfield. UGA has had major problems on the offensive line, and allows a ton of plays for negative yardage. Look for the Tennessee DL to have a big day, and force Eason to make throws under pressure. He hasn't seen anything like this yet.

2. Win the Special Teams:

3. Try the early lead, for a change: The offense has gotten off to a slow start each game. Athens is going to be rowdy, and the UGA fans are concerned about a Tennessee team that has obviously turned the corner, but still think that they could win this.

Tennessee needs to score early, and often, sucking the wind out of the fanbase, and forcing UGA offensive coordinator Jim Chaney into a passing frenzy to catch up, which he prefers. Shoop gave Chaney fits when they were at Vandy and UT, respectively. I think this defense is going to be incredibly fun when playing with a lead for an extended period of time. Let's try it.

4. Full Throttle Offense:
Regarding the offensive philosophy of Tennessee, I think everything is on the table. Chad Kelly and Drew Lock have absolutely lit up the UGA secondary. Dobbs found his groove last week, and if he gets pressured, he'll have no problem shredding the Bulldogs with his legs. Last year against UGA, Dobbs went for 315 through the air, and 118 on the ground. Look for Dobbs to continue to roll out to create more time, and for the much improved Tennessee wide receivers to find space to play football.

On the ground, UGA gives up about 4 yards per carry, but they haven't faced RB's like TN... or Dobbs. Much like Florida's "best defense", that stat is about to get exploited.

Prediction: Since 2011, this game has been decided by 8 points or less. This is by far the best Tennessee team in that time frame, and the worst UGA team. In spite of the match-ups and what I see to be a clear advantage to Tennessee, I am predicting another close one, though the Vols should win handily.

TN 31
UGA 23

The way Shoop adjusts, I'm all in on the defense. UGA won't score more than 13.

IF Debord Keeps hitting deep shots and throwing on 1st down, Vols by a Landslide

I still don't trust the ol' swim coach... Vols are emotionally drained from beating the Gators... Georgia at home after being embarrassed... I think it's gonna be a nail biter...

Vols 27
UGA 24

Reactions: 1 person
Although the smart play, Chaney will not allow it. Eason will throw 40+ times.

123 attempts first 4 games. Insane for a freshman in the SEC with 2 elite RB. Maybe the other teams are stacking the box and they have no choice, but dang.

The way Shoop adjusts, I'm all in on the defense. UGA won't score more than 13.

IF Debord Keeps hitting deep shots and throwing on 1st down, Vols by a Landslide

And letting Dobbs run. Everything looks so much better when he keeps the D honest.

tywbS1n.jpg

#WGWTFA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 4 people
I still don't trust the ol' swim coach... Vols are emotionally drained from beating the Gators... Georgia at home after being embarrassed... I think it's gonna be a nail biter...

Vols 27
UGA 24

The "swim coach" was not funny the first time that you thought of it, and it still is not. He has coached offense for a long time...maybe even longer than he coached swimming...oh, wait....

Reactions: 6 people

Vols 27
UGA 24

Not sure what it was you didn't understand vs FL. He called an excellent game against them. 1st and 2nd half. First half was 90% on execution by players.

IMO the only questionable calls were running 4 plays from the shotgun with Hurd inside the 5 yd line. Dobbs should have been under center with Hurd behind him IMO. Other than that, Debord could not have called a much better game than he did.

Reactions: 2 people
SIAP, Chubb was in a boot during practice today according to Kirbs. But was absent from the media viewing period.

Last edited:
I think this week we will see one of the best balanced games we have had this year. Our WR's and TE were playing so tight in the first half. Now that the UF victory is behind them I expect to see them playing loose and I believe our running game will have its best day yet which will open the passing game even more. That's my take. I will send you all a bill for my expert services.

:rtfm: :shaking2:

We haven't had a defensive score yet this year that I can remember. Wouldn't surprise me to see a couple of those in the early stages of this game. Eason goes out after that and Lambert comes in to settle things down. He does, but a couple of botched special teams plays leave Georgia grasping. We win easily and the second string sees at least two drives in the fourth quarter.

UT 35
Dawgies 10

I can't get a good read on this game. Maybe it's the Georgia coaching change. Under Richt these were always intense hard hitting contests. Maybe that's because the players are probably pretty familiar with one another, not only from conference play but also in some cases high school.

I think the Vols jump out by 17 at the half pitching the shut out and Georgia gets 14 in the 3rd before the Vols explode for another 17 triggered by a Berry return to close it out never relinquishing the lead.

Hurd goes for 130 and gets a TD on the ground. Byrd gets his first score. Malone continues his TD streak. Dobbs gets 250+ in the air. Medley is 2 for 3. The D gets 2 interceptions. Barnett gets a sack, 2 tfl and 4 hurries.

UT 34
UGA 14

All I know is that winning this game will go a long way towards us winning the east. A loss by Georgia more than likely eliminates them and puts us even more in the driver's seat. A win this weekend makes the A&M and Bama games less detrimental if we happen to drop those. If that were to happen, we would only need UF to slip up one more time.

This is a big game and we need to start fast with this being our first true road game. I want to see the creative play calling and pedal to the metal offense we saw in the second half. Defensively, I'm a tad concerned about the deep ball. We didn't have much success against it Saturday and Eason and Chaney both like to take shots. I am supremely confident in Shoop and his adjustments once he gets a bead on the opposing offense. UT should have an advantage in special teams, but I would be careful in punt coverage as Isaiah McKenzie is a play maker.

I can't get a good read on this game. Maybe it's the Georgia coaching change. Under Richt these were always intense hard hitting contests. Maybe that's because the players are probably pretty familiar with one another, not only from conference play but also in some cases high school.

I think the Vols jump out by 17 at the half pitching the shut out and Georgia gets 14 in the 3rd before the Vols explode for another 17 triggered by a Berry return to close it out never relinquishing the lead.

Hurd goes for 130 and gets a TD on the ground. Byrd gets his first score. Malone continues his TD streak. Dobbs gets 250+ in the air. Medley is 2 for 3. The D gets 2 interceptions. Barnett gets a sack, 2 tfl and 4 hurries.

UT 34
UGA 14

Like it, but I think we see PWilly with his first of the season. Byrd gets his touches though.

VN Store

Back