Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
DL players do not appear happy at all about the change on twitter........

That's because they love strip. He'll still be around. They'll get over it.

Michigan will have 15+ guys drafted this year, all recruited by Hoke prior to Harbaugh. We needed to upgrade recruiters, we're doing that with this hire. Oh and he's also a really good DL coach. Might be Butch's best assistant coaching hire to date, IMO.

Reactions: 5 people
At this point, we need guys who can develop their positions. LB hasn't been terrible, but it hasn't exactly been good.

I thought Elliot Berry was a pleasant surprise last year. Especially since that was his first real game time experience

This Hoke hire and Wells potentially to O-line has bought Butch 3 more years barring a 6-6 or worse, which would also be much less likely to happen. Now if he will get out of the way on D and just assist Scott as needed - this staff could get the job done IMO. Hoke is as legit as it gets at D-line. Especially if Strip is going admin and sticking around. Butch needs to go back to being the strong closer on recruits as his main job description. He has proven that he is willing and can significantly upgrade his staff.

Just win. Want to wear the orange colored shades again. They are almost in my hands to put on. Need a good 2017 season and a top 5 2018 recruiting class to go elite.

Reactions: 1 person
I can agree with the bolded. I grew up in Chicago and half my family still lives there. The other half moved to Wisconsin due to crime. I remember when I was growing up, people would always joke about how corrupt Mayor Dailey was. Gangs and drugs were always bad there. Same with a lot of failing inner city schools. I do remember when Gary, IN had the higher murder rate over Chicago. Fwiw I grew up about a mile from Cabrini Green. There is a lot of work that needs to be done. I don't know if all of your factors correlate. For example, I have lived in many places that have a longer history of segregation and economic disenfranchisement and it has not led to a higher crime rate. For example, I currently live in Mississippi, they have a longer history of segregation and most everyone is dirt poor. Crime still is not anywhere as high as Chicago. Granted there isn't as many people densely packed into a smaller area. Education is certainly better in Chicago then Mississippi. Mississippi is ranked somewhere between 48-50 in the entire country. I think the bigger issue in Chicago is community policing and ownership. The big difference I have seen, north vs south, is that the south takes greater pride in their community and is more involved. People are generally more friendly in the south and are more acquainted with their neighbors and their neighborhoods.
Thanks for your articulate, thoughtful response. Yeah, I saw Cabrini-Green go down in 2011. I always wondered "why would anyone wanna live there" until I worked in the Southside. Nothing but liquor stores, pawn shops, and payday advance places for miles from Gary to downtown. So much poverty. Kids would run drugs on their way to school to make a buck. No wonder they didn't graduate. Schools were basically detention facilities anyway. Families lived a few blocks from Lake Michigan and had never seen the water. The only rich people there were the dealers and gang leaders. There are a lot of sad issues in South Chicago that need a lot of hard work. It needs all of our help.

Reactions: 1 person
DL players do not appear happy at all about the change on twitter........

That's the tough part about constant coaching changes... you want to get the best, but you also dont want dissension in the ranks. When players form a bond with a guy Im sure its hard to see someone new come in. Hopefully they can see the coach is there to help them progress forward

At this point, we need guys who can develop their positions. LB hasn't been terrible, but it hasn't exactly been good.

Injuries didn't help. The talent level towards the end of the year wasn't very good. The past 2 LB classes should change that.

Last edited:
Good offseason in terms of coaching moves IMO. Rock, Warren, and Hoke are all great hires. Shoop/Hoke/Thigpen/Warren looks very strong on paper, both in recruiting and coaching; hope they mesh.

You can make arguments for or against Scott, Canales, and (assuming it happens) Wells. Personally, I'm willing to ride with whatever Butch thinks is best on offense. You can criticize this decision or that one - Jack Jones should have been starting, EthVinJuan DobByrLone III should get the ball more, whatever - but in general, we've been successful on that side of the ball. I do ask for a greater focus on ball security going forward, but many of our turnovers come as the result of guys trying to make superhuman plays and I find that easy to forgive.

We're in a tough spot. Realistically, this should be a bridge year - we're losing several NFL-caliber players, along with some others who may not stick in the NFL but were very solid in college, and we're replacing several coaches. But Butch needs to gain the perception that he can win at the highest level, and our 2017 recruiting class tells me that he needs it NOW. If we have a good year with an SEC East title and we have a strong 2018 recruiting class, we're on the train. But that's a lot to ask of a team breaking in so many new starters and coaches. Hope they're up to the task.

Reactions: 2 people
Well as a Falcons fan I'm honestly not as down as I thought I'd be after last night. I'm used to it, same as being a Vols fan unfortunately.

On the Hoke stuff, I'd like to see the players tweets. I think once he takes over they'll be fine. As terrible of a HC sad he was, players love him. Wells seems liked as well so I'm good with both moves.

The only thing I saw on twitter was Kendal Vickers sent out some frowning emojis a couple hours ago, Kongbo RT'ed it.

I imagine that's nothing more than they haven't had the setup for Strip's new job explained to them.

If you're concerned, you are concerned over emojis. Get a grip.

Reactions: 3 people
with the coaching changes on the defensive side of the ball, I am very excited about the potential on that side of the ball next year. The DB's alone would have changed our outcome by at least one game and maybe two last year.

Reactions: 2 people
The only move I wasn't really for at the time was Canales. And he's just the QB coach. A position that wasn't even filled last year. And he's an older, experienced guy that speaks the same lingo as a lot of guys on our staff, so he's probably gonna be a great asset and a perfect fit.

This Hoke hire is pretty big time IMO. If Stripling was gonna step aside we needed to get that hire right. I think Butch nailed it. I kinda thought the rumors that we would hire him were just wishful thinking. Hoke will continue to build on the foundation that Stripling set.

Love the Larry Scott promotion. Love the new DB and strength coaches. Don't know much about Wells, but my thought is that the oline has been more of a weakness than a strength in Mahoney's time here, so a change will likely improve things. Loving the talent on our offensive line right now too. It's time for that unit to start leading this team.

Our struggles on defense have clearly not gone unnoticed by Butch Jones. I think he took some great steps this offseason to get some fresh faces with new and proven ideas into the room. Hopefully the defense can become elite again. Shoop has the ability to get us there. I think we have the pieces in place to surprise a lot of people.

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back