Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting notes from updated Football Power Index:

- we have a 50.3% chance of winning out. For those that think that sounds too low, consider that only two teams in all of FBS have a higher percentage chance (Boise St and Appy St), and Florida has only a 10% chance of same, and Georgia only 4%.
- we are now ranked 12th overall in the FPI ahead of #13 Florida and #14 Georgia. We are 4th overall in the SEC behind only Alabama, LSU and Ole Miss.
- we still have a 1.4% chance of winning the conference. We would need Florida to lose two more games and UGA lose one more game in order to make it to Atlanta.
- our remaining opponents are #59 Kentucky, #60 South Carolina, #128 North Texas, #55 Missouri and #65 Vanderbilt.

Reactions: 5 people
Just a few random thoughts I have about this team and the remainder of the season.

1. Kentucky is probably the best team we face for the rest of the season. Definitely the best offense. If our DL plays how they did against Bama for the r st of the season, I have no doubt that we win out.

2. Mizzou probably has the best Defense we'll play here on out. Maybe Vandy. I bet we see Hurd and Kamara really feast on the next 5 teams we play.

3. Dooley lost by 31 to Bama all three years and showed no progress in execution or mentality. Butch lost by 31 in 2013, 14 in 2014, and 5 yesterday and obviously this team expected to come out of Tuscaloosa with a win. Moral victories have left us all with a bad taste in our mouths, but that is observable progress.

4. Malone didn't have a big day yesterday, but he's really starting to show some progress. I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a big breakthrough game or two over the final stretch of the season.

5. Dobbs is one tough mofo with all the hits he's taken this season in the pocket and on the run.

6. I don't think we need to make any huge changes to the coaching staff necessarily, but I think a coaching change or two for certain positions could really help us take the next step in 2016. Butch promised us the best staff in the country, and he hasn't delivered on that yet.

7. JRM is a beast. In a game that featured, between the two teams, a lot of future NFL players, he was one of the best on the field. If he was 2-3 inches taller, he could probably be a 1st-2nd day pick in 2016.

8. Evan Berry will score again this season. I wish we'd put in a few special plays to try and get the ball in his hands. Sneaking him in at WR or RB and giving him a screen pass or jet sweep to work with could possibly be an easy 6 points.

Reactions: 5 people
SIAP, but were there any significant injuries from yesterday? Been laying low lately.

Also, did anybody see how badly Dak Prescott tore up Kentucky yesterday? Our offense is gonna have a big day Saturday.

Hypotheticals:

If we played FL this weekend, in Gainesville, do we win?

Oklahoma at home?

Arkansas at home?

Hubbs and Fort talking up Kentucky and Mizzou like they are world beaters. Mizzou, in their 0 TDs through their last 13 quarters of play glory, is apparently going to be an extremely tough team to beat. Also, Vandy's D is reminiscent of the 85 Bears and the Vols will be lucky to score more than a couple field goals against them.

Reactions: 1 person
Hubbs and Fort talking up Kentucky and Mizzou like they are world beaters. Mizzou, in their 0 TDs through their last 13 quarters of play glory, is apparently going to be an extremely tough team to beat. Also, Vandy's D is reminiscent of the 85 Bears and the Vols will be lucky to score more than a couple field goals against them.

LOL UK is the only I'm even close to worried about. This team is passed struggling with bottom feeders I think.

They are all bad teams, but they all hate us and they will all give us their best shot. Our guys have to take them seriously.

Reactions: 2 people
LOL UK is the only I'm even close to worried about. This team is passed struggling with bottom feeders I think.

UK is only concerning because they have the potential for big plays, and if they hit enough of them (like BGSU), they can jump out to a quick lead or keep pace with us and possibly cause us to make mistakes.

But that really depends on Towles facing zero pressure in the pocket and having enough time to pick our secondary apart, and with Vereen+Martin coming on and JRM wreaking havoc, it seems very unlikely.

The only thing I'm worried about down the stretch is Maty Mauk coming back and having a heroic game against us in Columbia. Which, given our luck, is pretty much a guarantee at this point.

Tennessee has paid it's schedule dues this year. It's time to feast. Gotta take them seriously, but winning out is expected.

We're a 3-4 team who needed to make 4 plays with several dozen opportunities to be 7-0.

Why doesn't that make me feel any better?

I'm confident about UK, but something about Mizzou has me nervous, even though I know that all we have to do to beat them is score 2 tds and we've done at least that against every team we've played

Mizzou's defense is good but at the same time they've played no one with an offense (Florida was the closest to having one and they stopped themselves more than anything yet still wound up with a comfortable win) so it's difficult to know how good. Their offense is currently 2nd to last in FBS.

3.4 yards a carry and giving up 5 sacks isn't winning far more than we lost in my view

Yes I was pleased because it was better than I expected so don't confuse my point.

My question is do we think the staff felt good or bad about Jones and Hall performance??

I am sure you are saying good. I am as well but it wasn't clear like the Georgia game was IMO

Not as clear, because Bama's front 7 is a lot better than UGA's. Those young men played very well, considering the circumstances. The sky is the limit for them. I will also say this...if Mahoney is truly the one responsible for developing them, then he has my vote to keep his job, because he is getting it done. Only Butch knows who is responsible, Mahoney or Debord.

Reactions: 2 people
Weighing in without being asked, but, the Jones/Hall performance was winning more than we lost in the UA game due to the quality of the defensive guys they played against and that they went 4 quarters. Without it, there is no offense, and nothing worthwhile to talk about today.

3.4 yards a carry needs 27 yards added back for lost sack yardage IIRC.

Does the staff feel good or bad? Good - and more clearly so than the UGA game. Bama was a deserving top 10 team with a proven stout D. UGA - not so much. Bama game was on the road for the Jones/Hall combo's first road game playing together. UGA was at home within the friendly confines of Neyland.

Thank you!! :salute:

Glad you weighed in. I was asking all posters

So if all are healthy who starts?

63 is out for sure IMO

Now the next one out is hard. IMO 71 is next man out but that one is tough

Yeah, I think Wiesman has been performing pretty well. Tough call, no doubt.

UK is only concerning because they have the potential for big plays, and if they hit enough of them (like BGSU), they can jump out to a quick lead or keep pace with us and possibly cause us to make mistakes.

But that really depends on Towles facing zero pressure in the pocket and having enough time to pick our secondary apart, and with Vereen+Martin coming on and JRM wreaking havoc, it seems very unlikely.

The only thing I'm worried about down the stretch is Maty Mauk coming back and having a heroic game against us in Columbia. Which, given our luck, is pretty much a guarantee at this point.

I thought about the Maty Mauk thing, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back