Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best that I could tell we only used 5 receivers in the game on Saturday, not counting the tight ends.

Malone
Smith
Williams
Jennings
Pearson

I firmly believe that this helped Dobbs getting in a rhythm especially in the 2nd half. Dobbs was 12/25 in the 1st half and 13/17 in the 2nd half. Do you guys think with the receiver rotation shrinking (primarily due to injury) that this will help us moving forward? At this point it seems like North is the only guarantee to make it back and perhaps Croom.

J Johnson played

You may be right.

I still don't think he was ever seriously considered. JMO

Yeah me either. I recall some saying we didn't really push to get him and it was really a courtesy thing. He gets a raise and we make it look like we went after a VFL. At that time, Tee didn't have alotnofnWR experience or coaching film. Now he does. So maybe that changes things if they have been doing good. I don't watch USC so not sure how their WRs look. I just know Tee is a heck of a recruiter

Yeah me either. I recall some saying we didn't really push to get him and it was really a courtesy thing. He gets a raise and we make it look like we went after a VFL. At that time, Tee didn't have alotnofnWR experience or coaching film. Now he does. So maybe that changes things if they have been doing good. I don't watch USC so not sure how their WRs look. I just know Tee is a heck of a recruiter

Weren't there reports he was offered the job?

I was thinking about our current WR group as well as the WRs that will return next year. North, Croom, Blanc, Malone, Smith, Jennings, Williams, and Perry. I think that is a solid group of guys, but outside of Perry (which is based solely on practice reports), I also think we seriously lack a dynamic playmaker on the perimeter both currently with the loss of Pig and next year. I don't see anyone who is elusive and who can make people miss, has great acceleration, etc.

I think Kamara could probably be used on the perimeter more often, but I would also like to see him get more chances to run in between the tackles. He really does complement Hurd well with his change of pace, and I would love to see him get the opportunity to house a long run originating from in between the tackles.

At any rate, with a spread offense, I was just thinking about how we generally lack this type of player at this point, and ideally, we should recruit one or two more of that type of player in the current recruiting class. When healthy, Pig was very effective in the short passing game and getting the ball in space on the perimeter, and I don't see that piece in our offense this year. I honestly don't know if TaDarryl Marshall fits this mold, as I haven't watched much or read much relating to him.

Thought this would make an interesting topic of discussion. Maybe not.

Yeah it seems like they have Jennings in that role now with Pig gone. But I'm not sure that's where he's best suited.

Mecole would look good in that spot.

I'm still in shock that we won that game.

-Smokey Greys
-SEC Nation
-CBS with Verne and Gary
-99 yard touchdown/14-point swing to open the game
-Sony Michel running all over us in Chubb's absence (the typical "emotionally charged" performance by a backup)
-Punt return TD for UGA
-Down 24-3
-Couldn't get a first down to seal it
-UGA marched down the field even after starting on the half-yard line
-TK had the game-wining pick in his hands and bobbled it 80 times before dropping it
-Thought we won on a runoff penalty, nope
-The pass in the end zone was perfect and would have been caught if Randolph's vertical was a quarter of an inch shorter

Just incredible.

Reactions: 9 people

-Smokey Greys
-SEC Nation
-CBS with Verne and Gary
-Sony Michel running all over us in Chubb's absence (the typical "emotionally charged" performance by a backup)
-Punt return TD for UGA
-Down 24-3
-TK had the game-wining pick in his hands and bobbled it 80 times before dropping it
-The pass in the end zone was perfect and would have been caught if Randolph's vertical was a quarter of an inch shorter

Just incredible.

You forgot about the perfectly thrown deep ball that hit the UGA receiver in the hands and he just dropped it.

This Georgia win has left me with a lot of second guessing. I am sure I don't understand the difficulty of managing the commitment of the upper classmen on the O line while keeping the new comers ready. The O-line issues apparently have had a lot to do with the passing game coming along. Malone waking up has to have had an impact here too.

Same with bringing 1 & 2 along. Shy made an impact earlier but now KM seems to be coming along. Got to wonder what interest are being balanced in bringing the secondary along. Hind sight is 20/20 I know.

Still its what I got this morning. The truth is this isn't the same team that started the season. The team has had to find itself to some degree. Lets hope the process is catching on and there is on looking back from here.

Last edited:

-Smokey Greys
-SEC Nation
-CBS with Verne and Gary
-Punt return TD for UGA
-Down 24-3

Just incredible.

The pass from lambert that Owen Williams batted into the air and we had 4-5 guys around it and still couldn't come down with it

Reactions: 1 person
I thinks it's more of Dobbs throws better when he is allowed to run. It opens things up. He gets into the flow and gets confidence. The defense starts reeling. The key is letting Dobbs loose. Our best Offensive games have been when Debord took off the handcuffs

You said it to a T! Dobbs plays tight when we don't let him be involved in the running game.

I was thinking about our current WR group as well as the WRs that will return next year. North, Croom, Blanc, Malone, Smith, Jennings, Williams, and Perry. I think that is a solid group of guys, but outside of Perry (which is based solely on practice reports), I also think we seriously lack a dynamic playmaker on the perimeter both currently with the loss of Pig and next year. I don't see anyone who is elusive and who can make people miss, has great acceleration, etc.

I think Kamara could probably be used on the perimeter more often, but I would also like to see him get more chances to run in between the tackles. He really does complement Hurd well with his change of pace, and I would love to see him get the opportunity to house a long run originating from in between the tackles.

At any rate, with a spread offense, I was just thinking about how we generally lack this type of player at this point, and ideally, we should recruit one or two more of that type of player in the current recruiting class. When healthy, Pig was very effective in the short passing game and getting the ball in space on the perimeter, and I don't see that piece in our offense this year. I honestly don't know if TaDarryl Marshall fits this mold, as I haven't watched much or read much relating to him.

Thought this would make an interesting topic of discussion. Maybe not.

You're going to get blasted by the posters lamenting Kamara getting the ball on the goalline against Oklahoma. FWIW, I agree that he can run inside and should.

Okay, I'm 26-12 ATS for the season. Here are this week's SEC picks:

Wednesday lines per Vegas Insider:

Arkansas at -16.5 Alabama
Troy at -30.5 Miss St
New Mexico St at -43.5 Ole Miss
Georgia at +3 Tennessee
Florida at +5 Missouri
South Carolina at -14.5 LSU

My picks:

Arkansas 24 Alabama 30
Troy 7 Miss St 35
New Mexico State 23 Ole Miss 51
Georgia 23 Tennessee 34
Florida 27 Missouri 21
South Carolina 16 LSU 27

Actual Scores:

Arkansas 14 Alabama 27 W
Troy 17 Miss St. 45 W
New Mexico St 3 Ole Miss 52 L
Georgia 31 Tennessee 38 W
Florida 21 Missouri 3 W
South Carolina 24 LSU 45 L

Another successful week at 4-2 brings me to 30-14 for the season ATS. Tune in Wednesday or Thursday for this week's SEC picks.

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back