Recruiting Forum Football Talk XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.
"VolGee4 - Yep, that very well could be the case. We were just chatting about Mullen and any criticisms, and he specifically brought that up. I don't follow them that closely, but he made it sound like it had been a point of contention."

Wanted to get back with you even with the thread change. I've watched a couple of their games. They are really physical, which is good, but I have seen some missed assignments on counters and traps. Sometimes the coach simply cannot get a player(s) to do the job the right way no matter how hard he tries and he has nobody else that can fill the role. O-lines are tough to get in sync. They have to develop chemistry to know how the guy next to them will react to various d-schemes in addition to knowing their own job. MSU's QB makes them look better than they are at times, just like Dobbs did for us.

If Mullen happens, I just think he would pull the trigger to improve his staff if necessary. He knows what it takes to win at a high level since he's been there before. UT is a legacy job for the right guy despite this lost decade of futility. What is interesting to me is that he actually runs a system that Butch would like to run, but couldn't even with Dobbs. Butch never got Dobbs' footwork right for passing. Four years and never got it right. Watch how Mullen gets them developed. Dak decided he needed to improve as a passer after his junior season if he wanted to make it in the NFL. He went to work on it as a focus, accepted Mullen's training, and stopped being run first, pass if you have to. Dallas is glad he did. Mullen also doesn't telegraph where the run is going with his formations and tendencies. His passing scheme is more sophisticated than Butch's. He just cannot use all of it or his overall offense like he did at UF because of the lack of player talent. He would have that at UT.

Great information.

Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee gets another night game. Lsu 7 PM on espn or espn 2. I assume if we beat Mizzou it'll be Espn, if we lose it'll be espn 2.

The more I think about it, the more we have to be headed for a situation like Texas and VTech last year where the new coaches were literally announced the day after the last game.

That's the only reason why I believe they are still keeping Butch around. This made me think that Gruden was realistic in 2012 because Hart wasn't doing anything. Then, I realized that he just sat around for a week doing nothing and then his search ended in a very public way.

"VolGee4 - Yep, that very well could be the case. We were just chatting about Mullen and any criticisms, and he specifically brought that up. I don't follow them that closely, but he made it sound like it had been a point of contention."

Wanted to get back with you even with the thread change. I've watched a couple of their games. They are really physical, which is good, but I have seen some missed assignments on counters and traps. Sometimes the coach simply cannot get a player(s) to do the job the right way no matter how hard he tries and he has nobody else that can fill the role. O-lines are tough to get in sync. They have to develop chemistry to know how the guy next to them will react to various d-schemes in addition to knowing their own job. MSU's QB makes them look better than they are at times, just like Dobbs did for us.

If Mullen happens, I just think he would pull the trigger to improve his staff if necessary. He knows what it takes to win at a high level since he's been there before. UT is a legacy job for the right guy despite this lost decade of futility. What is interesting to me is that he actually runs a system that Butch would like to run, but couldn't even with Dobbs. Butch never got Dobbs' footwork right for passing. Four years and never got it right. Watch how Mullen gets them developed. Dak decided he needed to improve as a passer after his junior season if he wanted to make it in the NFL. He went to work on it as a focus, accepted Mullen's training, and stopped being run first, pass if you have to. Dallas is glad he did. Mullen also doesn't telegraph where the run is going with his formations and tendencies. His passing scheme is more sophisticated than Butch's. He just cannot use all of it or his overall offense like he did at UF because of the lack of player talent. He would have that at UT.

If his lines at least look physical, then that's a step.

I'm rather sick of watching an OL that looks timid and more worried about a dozen other things rather than just blocking someone.

I realize its significantly more complicated than that, but damn, they don't even get in the way sometimes.

Reactions: 2 people
Bruin quote: Do you think UCF recruits better than the oppents they are not playing?

Just a guess but I bet they recruited fairly strong during and after the BCS year.

Florida and OSU recruit much better than their opponents this last weekend, but they got run nonetheless. It is clear that Odom is better than any interim could trot out. I don't think many people would think that Ferentz is better than Meyer, though.

Bruin quote: Do you think UCF recruits better than the oppents they are not playing?

Just a guess but I bet they recruited fairly strong during and after the BCS year.

Florida and OSU recruit much better than their opponents this last weekend, but they got run nonetheless. It is clear that Odom is better than any interim could trot out. I don't think many people would think that Ferentz is better than Meyer, though.

Sure upsets happen but the new coach at Tenn better be able to outcoach a few teams or we are going to start every year with at least 2 automatic losses.

I can tell you that seeing Cam on the sidelines his weekend he has probably lost about 10-15lbs and is a lot leaner than he was here. I thought he got a little too bulky. Maybe injuries played a part in that tho.

Great information.

I have access to a couple of players/coaches that have helped me learn more and I have the time to study it. It's fun to do.

Example - Bama doesn't win based on scheme. Their scheme on O is really generic. Their D is a bit more sophisticated, but other programs run equally complex D's. Bama wins based on strong recruiting, development, internal competition for jobs, and on field discipline. If you do not get it done in the manner you are trained to do it, you will sit because there is an equally talented and driven guy dying to take your place. Saban is not a lover of the next best thing in plays and schemes to get it done. UGA is on the path to being the same way. Which is why Chaney and Pittman were so important. They know various methods of offense and can adapt it to the roster they have. The rest of the SEC is playing catch up. This is our opportunity to join them.

First page! As far as Mullens winning us a NC how about we just worry about the SEC East and then go from there haha.

First page! As far as Mullens winning us a NC how about we just worry about the SEC East and then go from there haha.

Yup. That's the question to ask. Can he win the East?

If you can do that then you get a chance to win the conference which typically means a spot in the playoffs.

Talking about national championships when we haven't won the east in a decade and haven't won the conference in two decades is crazy.

Could apply for medical right?

Don't think so.

To be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete has to meet the following criteria:

The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.

The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.

The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.

The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back