Recruiting Forum Football Talk L (50)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After sleeping on this Leach thing, I agree with Ziti that Fulmer+anybody is better than Leach+Currie. The only way Leach would succeed here is with a big-time recruiting staff around him, and he would have been hamstrung by his staff budget with Haslam/Currie calling the shots. With the reports recently that they did it to Butch, I'm sure they would have done it to Leach too.

I'm still higher on Leach in general though. This dude is so hungry to prove himself in this conference that he was willing to come work under our dysfunction with Bahama John as his boss. If he gets a shot with an SEC school, you know he's going to do everything he can to prove he belongs.

Reactions: 1 person
Are you not thinking Fulmer should contact a few other coaches first? Like Gruden, Petersen and Brohm.

Brohm's offense would be awesome here with some big time talent!

I’m a Tee guy. But of course I think he should ask around to see who still has interest. I’d be completely stunned though if anyone we publicly talked with this past week is still interested. I view last week as burning a bunch of bridges, including with Leach. But certainly call them.

I think at this point it is Tee or coach mcgoogle, and I’m with Tee.

Of course, Kiffin would take the job but with Phil at the helm, no way that happens.

A little behind here and have a question. Are we sure the change in AD necessarily means that the Haslam influence is reduced?

The signs are out at game day and there are a bunch bashing Tennessee. Thanks Currie!

This coaching search was worse than Champions of Life, etc. Yet another offseason of getting roundly mocked.

Preferably, I don't want Tee as HC. He needs HC experience first before taking that job here.

I also fully believe we will have a HC announced on either next Thursday or Friday. Sunday or Monday is just way too early imo. Takes a few days to regroup and go back out there and vet candidates.

Reactions: 2 people
Is Tee the best candidate? No

Does Tee call all plays at USC? No

Does Tee have HC experience? No

Is Tee a up and coming HC candidate? Yes

With a fan base that is begging for unity, relevance, and the Tennessee way, is Tee the right hire in this moment? Absolutely

I would prefer Gruden, Petersen, Franklin, Frost, or maybe Brohm but the reality is they aren’t coming outside of maybe Brohm. Go get Tee and bring him home to a heroes welcome.

In 3-5 years if he's won no more then 6 games in a season, the fanbase will unite and want him fired. We will have wasted another 5 years of mediocrity and we'll be doing another coaching search. Every coaching hire you make should be the guy who will win you championships. Thinking Tee is the guy that gives you the highest percentage chance to do this is ridiculous.

Reactions: 3 people
The signs are out at game day and there are a bunch bashing Tennessee. Thanks Currie!

This coaching search was worse than Champions of Life, etc. Yet another offseason of getting roundly mocked.

Make a good hire and that is easily doused.

Are you not thinking Fulmer should contact a few other coaches first?

Like Gruden, Petersen and Brohm.

Brohm's offense would be awesome here with big time talent!

Gruden isn’t coming. Stop.

Petersen should be called first, just doubt he’s coming either.

I would also call Brohm, but I wonder if that ship has sailed also. He has HC experience but there are questions to his recruiting.

The way we’re being treated right now by the media I’m not sure we’re goinf to get one of these top options. Maybe we do with Phil, who knows? But I see nothing wrong with bringing in one of our own who wants to be here, wants the program to be on top, would have full support of all former players, current players, and fans, and would recruit lights out. Sounds like a good hire to me.

Reactions: 1 person
One more botched hire guarantees a whole generation of fans that have never witnessed a dominant TN football program. Even the five star recruit that grew up in the shadow of Neyland doesn’t see the Vols in his future and moved on. Head Coaching in the SEC is comparable to playing chess versus checkers. So roll the dice with what’s left and hope someone with no experience can compete with the likes of Saban, et al. Is that the plan you’d bet the ranch on?

Buried in here a bit, but Fulmer plans to call Tee in the coming days:

VolQuest.com - Fulmer set to direct the band one more time

After 7 or 8 years of reading about players turning their backs to, or wanting away from, UT coaches, I had forgotten what it was like to hear athletes praise and rally around a coach.

I have no clue how Phil will do as the leader of business in athletics but I miss hearing our players talk with respect and pride this way.

One more botched hire guarantees a whole generation of fans that have never witnessed a dominant TN football program. Even the five star recruit that grew up in the shadow of Neyland doesn’t see the Vols in his future and moved on. Head Coaching in the SEC is comparable to playing chess versus checkers. So roll the dice with what’s left and hope someone with no experience can compete with the likes of Saban, et al. Is that the plan you’d bet the ranch on?

The plan I'm betting in is that Phillip gosh darn Fulmer will lead us back to where we should be as a football program. Relax and enjoy a much more peaceful HC search.

I’m waiting to hear the chant, “It’s a joke ... to be ... a TN Vol”. Thank you Currie!

Would your opinion of Phil been the same if you had known at the time that Haslam and Hamilton were meddling and withholding resources? Forcing him to go with an unfamiliar coordinator on a shoestring budget when he had his own guy picked out who would have brought a future NFL quarterback with him from Michigan? The same OC who would later set significant offensive records at Tennessee under Butch Jones? The deck was stacked against him by megalomaniac Haslam.

The jury is still out on Phil as an AD. He could make a good hire or he could screw it up. I will no longer support bad coaching hires at Tennessee period.

Reactions: 3 people
Rekin if you’re talking about me for crapping on the Leach hire I apologize. I may have went a little overboard in my criticism of him. He beat both the teams in the PAC12 game last night and that is impressive.

I apologize if you felt like I was taking a dump on you or anyone’s opinions.

All that said Leach is a top 15 coach. I still think he’s a bad fit for here and this conference but I certainly could be wrong. I was excited about him when I thought we were still going to be under a Currie regime. Now with fulmer my hope is we can get the perfect fit and build back our program.

Again apologies to all for being overbearing. I know I can be that way.

Best post I've seen from ya. I'm coming around more and more to T. Bring a good coordinator like Mazzone, Good DC in Hobby let's roll

The jury is still out on Phil as an AD. He could make a good hire or he could screw it up. I will no longer support bad coaching hires at Tennessee period.

When do you judge hires?

Podium?

After 1 year?

After 2 years?

After 3 years?

When they are no longer coach??

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back