Recruiting Football Talk VII

And I stand by that. There is a small hardcore group maybe 25% of fans that have followed TN baseball good or bad. Now that they're good, you can't get a ticket when before they used to beg people to come to conference games.

Same thing with the LV's there is a group of hardcore fans that follow them religiously, and the rest will follow if they're good and couldn't care less when they aren't. Hence why there isn't more outrage for Kelly's job.

I'm not surprised you didn't get the point though.
Actually a fair point.

Reaching great heights does build a more ongoing fanbase. I do think even if TV bounced one day, UT baseball would go on a big bigger than before.

Similar to LVs still being big. Not saying baseball would stay at that level of the LVs, but at least better than before.

We can say the same about men's basketball. Remember the stands from the 90s...

Football is the only sport that doesn't dip too far or for too long. That's it.

I will cop to not paying much mind to LV basketball or baseball when they are bad -- I check final scores and absolutely want them to do well, but they just don't demand my attention good or bad the way football does. I have watched or listened to every football game live since 2007, including when I knew we were about to get our brains bashed in. I don't do that with other Vol sports.

Speaking only for myself, of course.
This was my point. Even when the football team was bad, Neyland was still packed with 100k. People sitting through rain storms with an interm HC. That doesn't happen with other sports.

But, you questioned the fandom of people here. In general, I agree that more people come out when the team is good. I am not sure what the core is, but baseball has pretty strong support. I, personally, did not shoot myself after having to endure Todd Raleigh. It was a challenge, though.
Nope not trying to question anyone's Fandom.
I just think outside of what I would currently call the big 3 which is FB, MBB, BSB.... How many people outside of Volnation could you ask about WBB or SFB and they would have any clue what you're talking about? It's just my opinion that number is smaller than people think it would be.

Reactions: All_Vol87

VN Store

Back