Recruiting Football Talk VII

I think what he's trying to say is that if the officiating was level, we may still get beat, but at least we'd know why. . . instead of bad calls changing the complexion of the game and influencing how coaches call & players play the game.
Yeah I get that overall, but my whole point is that that isn’t what happened today

I expect Joe to be the QB through the bowl game.

✅ The guy has been a model citizen.
✅ He has done everything they asked.
✅ He got injured and lost the job to Hendon and instead of bolting, he sat for basically two seasons waiting his turn.

✅ The locker room seems to love him.

I think if you’re Heupel you have to play Milton.

Not to mention the guy does have draft aspirations…and he will get drafted late rounds on physical talent alone.

And Heupel is a “win as many as you can” guy.

From day one he never talked about rebuilding, he never poor mouthed a roster that only had 59 scholarship guys.

He has just tried to win as much as he can.

And he will try to win next week, and Joe probably gives you a better chance.

Gotta think about the locker room and all those kids who will return. They see you crap on Milton “for the future” and it might cost you way more than you gain by playing Nico a couple games.

Why?

It’s an opportunity in Neyland to steal a huge win.
Worse that can happen is we get whipped.

Agreed here

Maybe I’ve got Orange colored glasses on, but it sets up like a classic college upset game. Georgia rolling in on a high, Tennessee on a low and then a shock-the-world outcome occurs. Time will tell.

Prior to Heup, 8-4 was our best record for a dozen years. As we all know, Butch did it twice. But remember that he did it with a good number of NFL players on the team. Heup is about to do it in a rebuilding year. There’s nothing ok about what happened today, but don’t forget where we’ve been. Go Vols.

Interesting- I hadn’t heard that.

What did he say?
Nothing that he said… his body language after the speed option and there was another play in the 4th quarter where Milton threw a check down to him 100mph and it was behind him that Wright dropped. Both times wright looked upset and said something to Joe

Not saying there’s a beef or anything, just wasnt pleased

Yeah I get that overall, but my whole point is that that isn’t what happened today
Not as bad as it has been, but it happened some. I'm sure they missed some stuff on us too. I wish penalties could be called accurately and consistently on both sides.

I don't want to watch a game that's influenced by the officiating. I know they can't be perfect, but they can be a lot better.

Prior to Heup, 8-4 was our best record for a dozen years. As we all know, Butch did it twice. But remember that he did it with a good number of NFL players on the team. Heup is about to do it in a rebuilding year. There’s nothing ok about what happened today, but don’t forget where we’ve been. Go Vols.

Always good to remember the context

Also - better get used to calling 8-4 seasons good years with how tough the SEC will be going forward.

Nothing that he said… his body language after the speed option and there was another play in the 4th quarter where Milton threw a check down to him 100mph and it was behind him that Wright dropped. Both times wright looked upset and said something to Joe

Not saying there’s a beef or anything, just wasnt pleased

Gotcha. I’m sure everyone was frustrated with that game as they should have been.

Reactions: Smokey123
Yeah, Joe has been better than expected. He just isn’t a RPO QB and his accuracy has improved but he was never going to be Hooker.

Just need the OL to not drop off next year & I think Nico will be ready to go. His success next season is 💯% about how good the OL can protect him.

(Alright I can’t sleep so I’m back online).

I think this is a good discussion to have. I agree back then Tennessee could stockpile talent and win like Bama and Georgia, but I think we live in a completely different era now. Maybe if Nashville keeps booming and starts producing talent like metro Atlanta, Tennessee can win like that.

But in this present era, I think Tennessee needs to win with top 10/15 talent, not top 5 talent. I think you can by pairing great coaching with elite QB play, and right now I think Heupel can do that. We will find out in the Nico era.

As for Tennessee, I think this has been true going back to the mid-2000s in the Fulmer era. People thought he got lazy and stopped recruiting. Maybe he did. But every coach since him has been unable to stack top-5 classes despite a massive recruiting budget and elite facilities, etc. Makes me conclude it’s the program not as much the coach.
I do too, I think you're right about how times have changed, especially with the portal and nil being available, but we still have the resources to be a national draw. We have always recruited nationally, not just regionally. Will it be harder, absolutely, but the right staff can do it. Johnny always had a great staff and for the most of Phil's tenure he did to.

My belief is we should rarely finish outside the top 10 in recruiting, we have to much history not to. Johnny didn't turn us around with top 15 classes. He didn't have a cap either back in his early years, but he also knew talent when he saw it. Phil took that talent and built on it. I think he did get a bit lazy in the end and it cost him. So in saying all of that I think we both have valid points. Tennesseee is special and with the right staff can be dominant.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Could have had a great game next weekend but the SEC wanted to lock it in early. I can’t stand UGA and Bama but that is the way it is. I’m struggling to find the point to even watch next weekend.

I mean I will anyway but there is really no point to the rest of the season. Not much difference in us going 8-4 or 9-3. I got to think if it is close in the 4th next weekend by some miracle the officials will step in at opportune time with a critical holding call or non call to make sure there is a chance 2 teams can make it to the playoffs.

Combine that with the Michigan fiasco last year and my confidence in any kind of fair play goes out the window.

Call me tin foil hat or whatever, but there is zero chance we win next week no matter what. It is what it is. 8-4 is the record this year barring a meltdown.

Hoping that next year we can finally get over the hump.

Reactions: OGbabyaviVol
I expect Joe to be the QB through the bowl game.

✅ The guy has been a model citizen.
✅ He has done everything they asked.
✅ He got injured and lost the job to Hendon and instead of bolting, he sat for basically two seasons waiting his turn.

✅ The locker room seems to love him.

I think if you’re Heupel you have to play Milton.

Not to mention the guy does have draft aspirations…and he will get drafted late rounds on physical talent alone.

And Heupel is a “win as many as you can” guy.

From day one he never talked about rebuilding, he never poor mouthed a roster that only had 59 scholarship guys.

He has just tried to win as much as he can.

And he will try to win next week, and Joe probably gives you a better chance.

Gotta think about the locker room and all those kids who will return. They see you crap on Milton “for the future” and it might cost you way more than you gain by playing Nico a couple games.
Joe isn’t a NFL QB. We’ve seen several 6’5 240lb college QBs have to switch to TE just to make a NFL team. VaTech QB a few years back comes to mind, also University of Buffalo QB that we offered in the portal that one year. He can’t read a defense, that serves no purpose in the NFL

VN Store

Back