Recruiting Football Talk VII

Biggest weakness on this team is the defense. I know some will swear on their dead grandmother's grave that it's Joe Milton, but they're wrong. It's the defense. Especially when we're on the road. Look at points given up at home vs. points given up on the road.

Expectations continually being rest this year. Need to hit the portal badddd at OL, TE, LB, WR, CB/S
Hopefully AP is right about us getting 2 of our OL back for next year. If TE and LB can stay healthy, snag a portal WR, and the second year secondary guys can step up, we should be able to compete for the east next season. A lot of “ifs” but they are ifs that should be solved early in the offseason.

I see what your saying but from 89 to 99 we would have had several playoff appearances and between Johnny and Phil we had talent 3 deep at most positions. I believe we can absolutely recruit on that level. We have before and we can again.

(Alright I can’t sleep so I’m back online).

I think this is a good discussion to have. I agree back then Tennessee could stockpile talent and win like Bama and Georgia, but I think we live in a completely different era now. Maybe if Nashville keeps booming and starts producing talent like metro Atlanta, Tennessee can win like that.

But in this present era, I think Tennessee needs to win with top 10/15 talent, not top 5 talent. I think you can by pairing great coaching with elite QB play, and right now I think Heupel can do that. We will find out in the Nico era.

As for Tennessee, I think this has been true going back to the mid-2000s in the Fulmer era. People thought he got lazy and stopped recruiting. Maybe he did. But every coach since him has been unable to stack top-5 classes despite a massive recruiting budget and elite facilities, etc. Makes me conclude it’s the program not as much the coach.

I feel like we need a fiery DC. Heupel is pretty laid back, and I think that works well for a HC. But I feel like the defense has vanished more on the road than the offense.

Most the offensive issues this year are execution problems and you can only do so much coaching to resolve that. Cooper missing Florida was a big reason we lost.

But the defense has had too many apathetic showings on the road and motivation can be and should be coached up.

I mean this season hasn’t been too shocking with how it’s played out, all 3 losses were on the road. Florida is the one I feel like we truly blew. Missouri finally had the talent to get revenge for the last 2 beat downs we handed them.

Biggest weakness on this team is the defense. I know some will swear on their dead grandmother's grave that it's Joe Milton, but they're wrong. It's the defense. Especially when we're on the road. Look at points given up at home vs. points given up on the road.
You’re not wrong, but Milton isn’t going to win us any games. He’s kinda like Mertz at Florida - you can win WITH him but not because of him. Pains me to say, but coaching/not being prepared continues to cost us on the road. That will be the big issue that determines Heupel’s success here.

I played sports my whole life so I get it. A few people coming at me today started by people complaining about officiating today, me calling it out because we were just flat out getting our ass whooped. So now, here we are.

I was probably overly aggressive with my assertiveness, but watching that performance, I think we can all understand that lol
I think what he's trying to say is that if the officiating was level, we may still get beat, but at least we'd know why. . . instead of bad calls changing the complexion of the game and influencing how coaches call & players play the game.

Reactions: Volunteer821
This season has really proven how you can’t miss on big prospects and you have to go all out on transfers. Imagine having Verse and a few others that we let slip away instead of pay for.

Hope our coaches learned a hard lesson that you have to accumulate depth to the fullest and not hope some will come along. Many never will.

We can’t miss on the Nicos, Boo Carter, and others of the world. We have to recruit better and kill the portal.

Also, Heupel and these coaches have to stop playing seniors to appease them and reward staying. You have to play the talent and let them grow. I see no reason why we haven’t seen more of the younger linebackers and DBs. It’s been obvious that Milton isn’t our answer and we sit a future first rounder on the bench. Who knows that this season could have been if you started Nico from the start.

It’s going to get tougher than this. Lol. Auburn just flipped a high 4 star from the Gators. They’re 6-4 this year… really good looking first class
We just need to keep the class we have together and hopefully add a few more. Don't need to worry about Auburn.

It’s going to get tougher than this. Lol. Auburn just flipped a high 4 star from the Gators. They’re 6-4 this year… really good looking first class

Freeze (for all his faults) is a good cosch

He was top of my list when Pruitt was fired

Glad we got Heupel though - I’m good with him, don’t get me wrong

I am absolutely dead 😂 Our fans are just wild. Listening to Voluntary Reaction and this fool said he is out on Josh Heupel and talked about how “What does this guy do if he isn’t winning football games? He’s done nothing to endear himself to the local community. When’s the last time he’s walked into Liton’s and bought the entire restaurant a burger?”

I’m ****ing dead. 😂😂😂😂
I love the post game. I try to listen to the whole thing. It definitely cheers me up win or lose. That was a peak moment for sure.

This season has really proven how you can’t miss on big prospects and you have to go all out on transfers. Imagine having Verse and a few others that we let slip away instead of pay for.

Hope our coaches learned a hard lesson that you have to accumulate depth to the fullest and not hope some will come along. Many never will.

We can’t miss on the Nicos, Boo Carter, and others of the world. We have to recruit better and kill the portal.

Also, Heupel and these coaches have to stop playing seniors to appease them and reward staying. You have to play the talent and let them grow. I see no reason why we haven’t seen more of the younger linebackers and DBs. It’s been obvious that Milton isn’t our answer and we sit a future first rounder on the bench. Who knows that this season could have been if you started Nico from the start.
We'd have more losses on our record if Nico started from the start. That's what this season would have been. Hell, he probably would have gotten hurt behind this OL when Cooper was out. But sure, throwing away the future sounds like a great idea.

Well, sorry I got it wrong, 2.5 years ago then. My apologies.

2 years ago, I didn’t post anything to be put on ignore but ok buddy lol. You are upset and that’s ok. I’m sorry my CAREER in the liquor industry offends you as well
It doesn’t. Just see it all the time and threw it in there. If not text or message board then I think it would’ve been easier to communicate what I was trying to get across.

VN Store

Back