Recruiting Football Talk VII

I kinda liked the 4-team playoff. Avoid those weird years like 2001, 2003, 2004 where you had to leave a worthy participant out, but don't expand it so much that you run the risk of ending up with a 3-loss national champion. Single elimination tournaments are fun but a poor method of determining the true greatest team in the sport that year.
The old way was the absolutely HORRID way of determining the NC...you talk of single elimination being bad...well that was the ultimate single elimination...I have always f'n HATED it, it was a 100% subjective title game voted on in a popularity contest and where most of the time it didn't even match the #1 and #2 team because of conference tie-ups...most people I know HATED it.

Context is key to the 9-3 comment...say you have one team that breezed to a 11 or 12 win season having played a garbage schedule in a 💩ty conference, while another team played a murderers row of top 10 teams and fought their way to a 9-10 win season...now that team may actually have the chance of showing who the best team is at the END of the season when it actually matters....not in f'n Sept or Oct in the middle of the season when some teams have not even totally gelled yet because of turnover from the year before or a lot of injuries which affected a part of their season..

I don't like how a few chosen teams have been allowed to cheat with impunity for years, especially since it coincides with our worst stretch of football teams in 40 years...but this new expanded playoffs will be what I've wanted my whole life.

Another thing about the single elimination comment...football is NOTHING like baseball and basketball in that regard...the cream mostly rises to the top in football because of it's very nature.

I don't think you're dumb for feeling the way you do, and I have friends that think like you, but I just vehemently disagree.

If I'm UGA.... I'm getting nervous. Dobbs just put a dagger in ATL's heart. They're good but not as good as they thought they might be. Maybe I'm high on the Dobbs legend's growth beyond the hills of East, TN but the signs are all there. Tennessee is playing better and better. If we get past Mizzou that will be the final sign - an upset is brewing.

I think it might have been Heupel and co. dressing down some of his staff and players for practicing on the Tennessee sideline, hence Mora's comment about his team performing with class "before, during, and after the game."
Wait...they did what? 🤔 This is the first I have heard of this...is that not a gross breach of etiquette and pure disrespect?

I figured it was about the pregame scuffle. Heupel was in the middle of it telling the UCONN players to vacate and looked like he voiced his frustration a little bit to a UCONN coach. Nothing crazy but maybe Mora didn’t like whatever was said when the UCONN coach relayed what happened.

This is the first I've heard of this...was it just an accident where some of them got confused, or was it something akin to what dumbarse KY was pulling last week with the tunnel incident?

Josh Allen getting flagged for taunting there is so freaking LAME. That was an awesome play. Can we not let there be a little spice in this sport? Weak AF.

I honestly think the only time taunting should start getting called in a game is when things start getting too chippy. At that point, refs should inform both teams:' taunting rules now apply, anything extra is gonna get flagged' but otherwise leave most things be unless someone does something that's particularly egregious/offensive. Taunting is supposed to be called to police bad sportsmanship and when the emotions of a game can turn things bad. It's not there to take the fun out of it. At least, that's my opinion on it.

Josh Allen getting flagged for taunting there is so freaking LAME. That was an awesome play. Can we not let there be a little spice in this sport? Weak AF.
I’d rather not have taunting penalties at all but since there is it was textbook taunting. I’ve seen players flagged for less. Just get rid of it though.

VN Store

Back