Recruiting Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My gripe is an overall disappointment in the effort by our head coach on the recruiting trail. I think he should be at the state basketball tournament yearly. There's players there yearly and he needs to make his presence felt at some point.

I assure you there are players there that are worth making a good impression with. Two years ago Jordan Bowden was the best player in that arena. Also played in that tournament the year before.

Until Barnes convinces me he is trying I'm going to suspect that he isn't. You might call that being biased but I don't completely buy the story if he is looking for solid 4 year players and all that. He completely whiffed on his 2017 targets from last summer. So are we getting the guys we want or are we getting who we get and then pitching a narrative in hopes the fans lap it up?

Did Barnes even see Bowden play? If not, how'd he manage to sign him? If yes, I guess he sees who he's interested in signing.

Barnes has signed players from Canada, France, and a boatload from NC. It doesn't mean Jack **** if he doesn't make an appearance at the TN state tourney.

Reactions: 1 person
My gripe is an overall disappointment in the effort by our head coach on the recruiting trail. I think he should be at the state basketball tournament yearly. There's players there yearly and he needs to make his presence felt at some point.

I assure you there are players there that are worth making a good impression with. Two years ago Jordan Bowden was the best player in that arena. Also played in that tournament the year before.

Until Barnes convinces me he is trying I'm going to suspect that he isn't.

I know what you're saying, but most are going to give Barnes the benefit of the doubt, especially since it seems like there was virtually no scouting presence at the game from any other program. Like I said a few posts ago, good for you if you're sweating it. We may have missed face time at that tournament, but who's to say that time wasn't spent with better recruits? Barnes was with Garland just a couple days after.

Are you referring to the same Jordan Bowden that's currently on our roster? Do you think that example helps your argument?

Did Barnes even see Bowden play? If not, how'd he manage to sign him? If yes, I guess he sees who he's interested in signing.

Barnes has signed players from Canada, France, and a boatload from NC. It doesn't mean Jack **** if he doesn't make an appearance at the TN state tourney.

Barnes was not our coach when Bowden was at the state tourney. I think we were in the process of hiring him. Can't remember exactly. Just making the point that there are always players there.

Barnes was not our coach when Bowden was at the state tourney. I think we were in the process of hiring him. Can't remember exactly. Just making the point that there are always players there.

You're also giving an example of not being there and still signing a guy from a TN high school.

Reactions: 1 person
I know what you're saying, but most are going to give Barnes the benefit of the doubt, especially since it seems like there was virtually no scouting presence at the game from any other program. Like I said a few posts ago, good for you if you're sweating it. We may have missed face time at that tournament, but who's to say that time wasn't spent with better recruits? Barnes was with Garland just a couple days after.

Are you referring to the same Jordan Bowden that's currently on our roster? Do you think that example helps your argument?

I just want to believe the guy is trying as much as he should and not coasting.

Ensworth, Memphis east and Brentwood have guys 4* or higher. Tony literally just posted an article on a kid who played in the state tourney that is considering Tennessee. A 5* player at that.

Thought it was said Brentwood and Ensworth were not there? You out here making crap up now to try and support your stance, pretty sad.

Last edited:
#Tennessee is the latest to reach out to 2017 @TheRockHoops guard Jamari Wheeler, he tells me.

Was a Duquesne commit but with coaching change has opened things up, recent offers: Auburn, VCU, Buffalo, Penn State, South Florida and Houston.

The staff needs to go after 5-Star Center Jeremiah Tilmon . He just got released by Illinois today .

These aren't graduate transfers, so I didn't want to put it in that thread. Dedric and KJ Lawson just asked for their release from Memphis. I guess Dedric is not going pro. My guess is they will land at a pretty good school. Will need two open spots, which some of the high level ones seem to have with one and dones.

These aren't graduate transfers, so I didn't want to put it in that thread. Dedric and KJ Lawson just asked for their release from Memphis. I guess Dedric is not going pro. My guess is they will land at a pretty good school. Will need two open spots, which some of the high level ones seem to have with one and dones.

And likely a spot for pops on the staff as well

So I've seen Tennessee mentioned with 3 different players for that open scholarship spot, all 3 are pretty coveted guys and each provide a different option as for eligibility...all 3 are considered very good 3pt shooters though so I'm guessing that's the focal point of the staff in finding that 13th scholarship guy.

High school senior http://247sports.com/Player/Thomas-Allen-92701

JUCO guard http://njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2016-17/div1/players/chrisdarrington91nm

Graduate transfer http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/mark-alstork-1.html

872898de6d5dcba420b7910b38985228.png

I wonder if CRB is going to actually be there watching this kid or will it be one of the assistants?

Jordan Brangers has asked for a release from his LOI with Texas Tech in hopes of staying closer to his sick grandmother in Radcliffe, KY...he averaged 21ppg last season while shooting 50% from the field and 46% from deep. He broke Marshall Henderson's single season record for made threes with 151 makes, might be someone Tennessee reached out to once he gets his release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back