Really old people

The roads would be far safer if tailgating, speeding, and reckless driving were more strictly enforced compared to acreening old people that rarely get into or cause accidents.

Reactions: 2 people
Old people can't program their DVR and you expect them to handle the navigation on a driverless car?

I'm certain that the user interface can be developed to be pretty simple (as long as it's not by Microsoft). It should be as simple as sitting down in the car, using a finger print or iris scan to verify the navigator, and pointing at a list of destinations. It will check traffic using satellites, analyze the fuel requirements for the trip and the amount on board and then off it goes. Anybody that is competent enough to flush a toilet should be able succesfully make the trip.

I'm not against the idea that older drivers should be tested every 3-5 years. But I think the driving test period should be harder. I can't speak for every state, and I've been driving a while, but my driving test in the 90s to get my license was a joke. I essentially drove around the block a few times and bam, here's your license.

I'm not against the idea that older drivers should be tested every 3-5 years. But I think the driving test period should be harder. I can't speak for every state, and I've been driving a while, but my driving test in the 90s to get my license was a joke. I essentially drove around the block a few times and bam, here's your license.

Driving isn't very difficult.

There are a lot more bad drivers on the road that are not old than unsafe old people on the road. An old person going 5-10 mph under the speed limit isn't a problem. Idiots driving like they own the road is a far bigger problem.

Reactions: 1 person
Once old people are statistically causing problems, then require something like driver's ed and/or screening. There really aren't many incapable old people driving around. You have to be able to keep a car maintained, fueled up, licensed, as well as being able to start up a car, put it in gear, drive it, and park it. Once somebody can't do those things, they won't be driving... these things take care of themselves. A more likely scenario with people driving beyond what their age permits is that they get lost or stuck in a ditch. A far bigger problem on public roads are reckless drivers. If you want to make the roads safer put in zero tolerance laws for driving like a pr**k.

Guns, alcohol, and getting fat cause far more harm to society than old people driving. Maybe the government should create more legislation to address those issues.

Driving isn't very difficult.

There are a lot more bad drivers on the road that are not old than unsafe old people on the road. An old person going 5-10 mph under the speed limit isn't a problem. Idiots driving like they own the road is a far bigger problem.

It is when they are riding in the left lane with their blinker on for miles.

Agreed. And I also think everyone should be re-tested every 5 years then every 2 after 65.

It is when they are riding in the left lane with their blinker on for miles.

Not that common. Certainly not worthy of retesting millions of people simply because of the mumber of years they've been alive. Raise the standards for all drivers. Teenagers are worse drivers. Aggressive, wreckless drivers are worse.

I'm just gonna throw it out there that teens often are blamed for wrecks whether it was their fault or not. My girlfriend's brother t-boned a 90-year old woman who went through a red light and he was being considered the guilty party until witnesses explained otherwise. Once I was exiting a parking lot across stopped traffic (being waved on by those waiting for the light to change) and was t-boned by a guy flying down the turn lane to try to make the left and was deemed at fault. If a teen is involved, it's just automatically assumed that he or she is at fault regardless

Not that common. Certainly not worthy of retesting millions of people simply because of the mumber of years they've been alive. Raise the standards for all drivers. Teenagers are worse drivers. Aggressive, wreckless drivers are worse.

I'm good with raising the proficiency standards for all drivers and continued testing.

I'm just gonna throw it out there that teens often are blamed for wrecks whether it was their fault or not. My girlfriend's brother t-boned a 90-year old woman who went through a red light and he was being considered the guilty party until witnesses explained otherwise. Once I was exiting a parking lot across stopped traffic (being waved on by those waiting for the light to change) and was t-boned by a guy flying down the turn lane to try to make the left and was deemed at fault. If a teen is involved, it's just automatically assumed that he or she is at fault regardless

That was your fault.

That was your fault.

An accident wouldn't have happened had a person not been speeding in the turn lane. First of all, he was driving too far down the turn lane. Second of all, he was going too fast to stop.

An accident wouldn't have happened had a person not been speeding in the turn lane. First of all, he was driving too far down the turn lane. Second of all, he was going too fast to stop.

I'm sure all of the above is true but still it is your fault. You should never pull out without being able to see ALL oncoming traffic. Much like a rear end crash, there are mitigating factors but still it was your fault.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm sure all of the above is true but still it is your fault. You should never pull out without being able to see ALL oncoming traffic. Much like a rear end crash, there are mitigating factors but still it was your fault.

a turn lane is not for oncoming traffic, thus his driving too far down it turned him into oncoming traffic instead of a car making a turn

a turn lane is not for oncoming traffic, thus his driving too far down it turned him into oncoming traffic instead of a car making a turn

There is almost no such thing as a non-preventable crash. Regardless of what the other person was doing you pulled out in front of him, you entered a lane without being able to visually ensure it was clear. Your fault.

There is almost no such thing as a non-preventable crash. Regardless of what the other person was doing you pulled out in front of him, you entered a lane without being able to visually ensure it was clear. Your fault.

Everything against me was thrown out, so I'm not worried. But had it been a 17-year old speeding in the turn lane and hitting a guy in his 50s with his dog in the passenger seat, the multiple offenses committed by the person speeding in the turn lane would have had repercussions.

Had a lady pull out in front of me doing this. I was in the turn lane and she was leaving lowes. Totaled her Honda. My f250 needed a new front bumper.

Had a lady pull out in front of me doing this. I was in the turn lane and she was leaving lowes. Totaled her Honda. My f250 needed a new front bumper.

My wife did that years ago. Same argument, she found out quickly it's always the fault of the person pulling out.

lol After I moved to Tennessee at 20 years old, I let my previous license expire before going to get a TN license and they made me take the driving test again. For the test, they had me circle through the parking lot once and pull straight back into the parking space. No lie, that was it. I thought it was awesome... and scary.

A friend at the time told me his was similar except they were busy and didn't even get in the car with him, just directed him to drive out along the perimeter and come back. I can't personally attest to that, of course, but in my Preferred World of Humor it's completely true.

This all was like a few decades ago so maybe times have changed.

VN Store

Back