Really old people

My Grandma would not stop driving when she couldn't see. She became rabid whenever her children tried to tell her to knock it off. I don't know what the answer is, but I do think there needs to be more done to prevent blind and slow-reacting people from driving.

There is no way I'm a worse driver at legal BAC limit than a 90 YO is sober.

True that! That's what I hate about a BAC of .08 being the limit. You can sniff a beer and be .08.

True that! That's what I hate about a BAC of .08 being the limit. You can sniff a beer and be .08.

The laws around drinking and driving are ridiculous. You have levels of murder charges, levels of theft, but if you're .09 you get the same treatment as the guy that cant stand up.

I don't care how fast they're going. What I do care about is whether they can see me on my bike or not...

Also, thread is racist against old people.

Actually, there is a word, ageist, for that.

I agree with mandatory driving tests for those above a certain age. Saw my dad's driving at 83 and it was scary bad. I wrote to Tn Dept of Motor Vehicles to have him tested and they wrote him a letter to that effect. He was upset but got him off the road before he killed himself and/or others.

My FIL is 80ish and they just purchased a big bus type RV and plan on driving it around the country. I cannot see that ending well.

Why stop there. Let's test them for aids and the clap. Run blood and urine tests along with hair samples. Test them for depression and suicidal thoughts. While we are at it we need to make sure their sarcasm meter is functional.

Reactions: 2 people
Wife showed me a video the other day of a woman's 90th birthday party. It was thrown by her Co-wort years while on duty as an OR nurse. My guess is she could drive just fine.

Now I do think that maybe Doctors may need to assess a person's ability to dive every now and again.

I'll never forget a friend of mine's grandmother telling us she couldn't see the traffic lights and would just do what the other cars were doing.

My Mom is 96. Last year, when she was only 95, the good state of Tennessee sent her a brand new drivers license, good for (I think) five more years. She had not applied for a renewed license. They just sent it to her.

Thankfully, she has not used it.

Being 51 and getting crankier every day, I don't want to be in the category of old people too soon, so I direct this to really old people. Let's say over 85, or over 80, but acting like they are over 85.

Should be required to undergo in person driving test every two years. And should only be allowed to drive M-F between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.

Who's with me?

So, you're thinking that age group has the most accidents? You'd be wrong. How about we raise the age of acquiring a driver's license to around say 25. And then, require retesting of every driver, regardless of age, every 5 years. While we're at it, how about DUI. 1st time offense you get whatever your state doles out. Second offense....banned from driving for life.

So, you're thinking that age group has the most accidents? You'd be wrong. How about we raise the age of acquiring a driver's license to around say 25. And then, require retesting of every driver, regardless of age, every 5 years. While we're at it, how about DUI. 1st time offense you get whatever your state doles out. Second offense....banned from driving for life.

I agree. I don't read about old people causing accidents very often, but speeders, reckless drivers, and drunks get into wrecks all the time. Seems like the OP is just pissed because somebody isn't speeding and is holding him up from being able to speed/break the law himself. People in their 90s can be perfectly safe on the road. Often drug addicts in their 20s and 30s are not. The police/government should hammer the speeders/wreckless drivers/drunk drivers/pain pill and meth addicts instead of making sure that mamaw and papaw are capable on the road. Driving isn't that hard... especially for the people that have been doing it for 60, 70, or more years.

Reactions: 1 person
Driverless cars will make the debate interesting. If mamaw and papaw are able to enter their destination in their Google cars then the vehicle will get them there regardless of their driving skills.

Second offense needs prison time. 30 days to start. A year for the third offense.

They got ...no reason too..... no reason to drive. They got wrinkly skin.... Hunched backs they got tiny little feet .... Old people got no reason to drive.

Reactions: 2 people
I think once people reach the age of 70 they should be tested every 5 years.

Its every year after age 75 in Illinois -- but they dont have to pay the 30 fee for a new license -- the main thing they check is eyesight

I love old people but they should be required to take a test bi-yearly after the age of 70. If that meant that everyone had to take the test every 5 years so the old would be ok with it, that's fine by me.

Elderly drivers don't so much as get in tons of accidents as they cause dangerous driving conditions for others. Driving slow, treating red lights like stop signs, and driving all over the road cause other drivers to have to do extreme things to keep from hitting the elderly. And this isn't to mention the elderly that can barely see or have even forgotten how to properly operate a vehicle, which I have seen both of these before. There are many elderly individuals that should have their license pulled, I don't care if they are my elders; this isn't about respect, it's about safety.

VN Store

Back