Realistically speaking -

I don't think this year will be a undefeated season, however, I do think we will do better by a game or so this season. 9-3 or 10-2 is my best guess, that is if injuries don't screw us and coaches coach like they should instead of playing a conservative game.

Worst case I see a stagnated game winning (8—4) or 1 game worse regular season . Jones seems to want to win or at least improve and get to Atlanta a second time this season.

Last season was just bad-but-i hope the newcomers from last season got some valuable playing time and will use that to their own advantage, as well as for the team.

GBO!
Realistically you see between 8-10 wins?? Now that's really giving yourself plenty of leeway don't you think??
Jones seems to want to win??? I don't think "seems to" is quiet accurate, more like wants to win all the time....
AND "using playing time to their own advantage",,, Oh!! and the TEAM.. OH WELL this statement sort of sums up this thread....

Interesting. I was told by most of VN that Franklin was a clown who couldn't coach. Looks like he's doing pretty good for a guy who took over the worst PR gig imaginable.

Anyone who thinks James Franklin is a clown is either sadly misinformed or just a clueless moron.

Reactions: 3 people
Last season, was actually a one loss regular season team and then we lose to Bama again in the SECCG for our 2nd loss of the season.
A & M was our game but too many turn overs. One play could given us the victory. Coaching cost us the USC game. Injuries cost us the Vandy game.
Very close to being a one loss regular season team.

This upcoming season, I see us losing to LSU, Florida & Alabama. Those are predictions that are highly likely to happen.
I doudt it, BUT we could lose another game, IF, at some point in the season, the passing game struggles and the run game & defense doesn't step up and give us that victory.
When one phase of the game is not doing well, the other phases need to make big plays to compensate and lead us to victory.

Is this some sort of parody post or something? None of this post makes any sense.

Reactions: 4 people
In the SEC, inexperience at QB is hard to overcome. We will rely heavily on the running game and a reliable backup to Kelly appears to be questionable. Teams will load up and make UT pass the ball. If we can't...

I think we'll be better next year, but this year, when one considers the above plus a tough draw on the schedule from the west, I see 7 wins being our ceiling. 6-6 would not surprise me.

Sunshine pumper IMO

Really, if we can stay healthy, I think we should be pretty good. Even if we are 9-3 that might be enough to get us to the SEC championship. Everyone talks about how hard our schedule is, which is fair, but some of the more important games we get to play at home this year. I think it's good to have Georgia at home, as well as Vandy and USCe, so we can get some revenge on them. I also think it is nice to get Missouri and UK on the road, because we will likely win those games either way. Florida on the road hurts, and LSU at home won't be easy either, but I think we have at least a decent shot at both of those games. Alabama will beat us there but that's ok. Should take care of our non-conference schedule relatively easily, though GT is a challenge at least, but they aren't as good as VT was last year.
I wonder if home field will mean as much this year after the disappointment of last season. Are people going to show up and put it out there like we did for Oklahoma, or are they going to wait and see how things pan out in September? I think the GA Tech game is critical for this purpose.

Reactions: 1 person
But facts back up that our defense got worse when he got here.

The facts/stats show PSU was better with him in 2015 than they were in 2016 without him.

I don't disagree with you. I'd be much more concerned that our D wasn't good last year (even before the injury bug took hold) than a year over year comparison at PSU.

Reactions: 1 person
Last season, before game 1. I told friends that I felt Vols would be ok however we did have an Achilles Heal as far as depth at one position and that was LB. Enter game 3 and both are gone. That forced coaches to stay nickel and put that safety up close. Then we lost 4 significant DBs and became very vulnerable. Then lose 4 DTs for the season and had to move 270 lb ends to the inside, but LBs had to help with pass protection, then more injuries and Vandy looks like a top 10 ten team... This year Vols have a Achilles Heal again and it is at DT due to graduation, attrition andinjuries.. Vols have to stay healthy in the front seven.. Not enough depth at the DT is a huge problem.. In a perfect world there would be 4 more "real" DTs on this roster but they are not there.. Not predicting doom but this could be a huge problem if Vols don't finally get lucky with injuries in the first time in 6 years

Reactions: 2 people
But facts back up that our defense got worse when he got here.

In fairness, facts also show that he lost his best LB for the season, his second best lB for 2/3rds of it, their backup for the season, 4 of his 6 DTs, and 4 of his 7 DBs for the season and his best DB for all but 3 games.. Now that is not an excuse but it is a reason..

Reactions: 7 people
Agree. And even more concerning is that they could recover from/overcome the near death penalty they received from the scandals and win their conference quicker than Tennessee.

Agree on the major points by both posters. Another concern I have was Shoop's declaration that "nobody was going to run on Tennessee" and then to observe the longer the season went the more everyone ran all over us. There was an obvious disconnect on the defensive staff. Either Shoop was being misled with what he had and position coaches were not up to par or he didn't have a clue what he was doing. Shoop has proven he knows what he's doing elsewhere so I'm thinking with major staff changes under Shoop occurring the defensive issues were not Shoop's to own. Team 121 will prove what Shoop actually is IMO so I'm thinking our defensive improvement will be dramatic. Note I didn't use the injury cop out.

Agree on the major points by both posters. Another concern I have was Shoop's declaration that "nobody was going to run on Tennessee" and then to observe the longer the season went the more everyone ran all over us. There was an obvious disconnect on the defensive staff. Either Shoop was being misled with what he had and position coaches were not up to par or he didn't have a clue what he was doing. Shoop has proven he knows what he's doing elsewhere so I'm thinking with major staff changes under Shoop occurring the defensive issues were not Shoop's to own. Team 121 will prove what Shoop actually is IMO so I'm thinking our defensive improvement will be dramatic. Note I didn't use the injury cop out.

Extensive injuries to many of your best defensive players is not a cop out; It's friggin' reality, for chrissakes!! Have you ever played this game? Just curious....

Extensive injuries to many of your best defensive players is not a cop out; It's friggin' reality, for chrissakes!! Have you ever played this game? Just curious....

It really was and is amazing listening to people complain when we had walkons and undersized freshmen on the defense and they wanted to blame the coaches and the players giving their all.

It really was and is amazing listening to people complain when we had walkons and undersized freshmen on the defense and they wanted to blame the coaches and the players giving their all.

I think it's fair to discount what happened from the Bama game on due to injuries. It was an anomaly due to the sheer number of injuries; however, it should be noted that the injury issue may have been partially due to screwing up the S&C/offseason conditioning.

Prior to the Bama game, it's also fair to note the team had regressed defensively from 2015.

GT is a challenge at least, but they aren't as good as VT was last year.

Well, our roster is not as good as our's was last year either. So, that makes us somewhat even,right????

We're still more talented than them, but their scheme poses a big threat.

Injury Cop out? Wow. Have you looked at the list of players who went down for the season, missed large portions of it, and we're recovering even when back in the field?

Call me crazy. But that may have mattered.

Injury Cop out? Wow. Have you looked at the list of players who went down for the season, missed large portions of it, and we're recovering even when back in the field?

Call me crazy. But that may have mattered.

We lost 6 players "for the season"....

-JRM, played in 3 games
-Sapp, 3rd string linebacker, played in 3 games
-OBrien, played in 6 games
-KMac, played in 7 games
-Tuttle, played in 7 games
-Sutton, played in 7 games

That's your list. Other players missed a game here and there, played in the overwhelming majority of games last year.

QB- Dobbs played in every game

RB- Hurd quit after 8 games, Kamara played in 12 of 13 games, Kelly in all 13 games

WR- Malone played all 13 games, JJ in all 13 games, Byrd in 12 games, Smith in 12 games

TE- Wolfe played in 11 games

OL- Robertson played in 12 games, Thomas 10, Kendrick 12, Wiseman 10, Richmond 8(not due to injury), Jones 9 games. Hall was the only OL starter who battled injury all season long and was limited to 7 games.

DL- Barnett played all 13 games, Vereen player in 13 games, Lewis 12, Vickers 13, Kongbo 12, Phillips 11.......Obrien 6, KMac and Tuttle 7

LB- Jumper 12, McDowell 11, DKJr 8, Berry 13, Bynum 13.

DB- TKJr 12, Abernathy 12, Gaulden 13, Foreman 9, Moseley 13, Martin 11, Sutton 7

We lost 6 players "for the season"....

-JRM, played in 3 games
-Sapp, 3rd string linebacker, played in 3 games
-OBrien, played in 6 games
-KMac, played in 7 games
-Tuttle, played in 7 games
-Sutton, played in 7 games

That's your list. Other players missed a game here and there, played in the overwhelming majority of games last year.

QB- Dobbs played in every game

RB- Hurd quit after 8 games, Kamara played in 12 of 13 games, Kelly in all 13 games

WR- Malone played all 13 games, JJ in all 13 games, Byrd in 12 games, Smith in 12 games

TE- Wolfe played in 11 games

OL- Robertson played in 12 games, Thomas 10, Kendrick 12, Wiseman 10, Richmond 8(not due to injury), Jones 9 games. Hall was the only OL starter who battled injury all season long and was limited to 7 games.

DL- Barnett played all 13 games, Vereen player in 13 games, Lewis 12, Vickers 13, Kongbo 12, Phillips 11.......Obrien 6, KMac and Tuttle 7

LB- Jumper 12, McDowell 11, DKJr 8, Berry 13, Bynum 13.

DB- TKJr 12, Abernathy 12, Gaulden 13, Foreman 9, Moseley 13, Martin 11, Sutton 7

...and just like live stated, a bunch that played, played hurt.

Interesting. I was told by most of VN that Franklin was a clown who couldn't coach. Looks like he's doing pretty good for a guy who took over the worst PR gig imaginable.

He can coach but he has that smart ass persona like Kiffen.

Two ifs...If Tennessee runs Dormady in a pro style offense with JG subbing in like Tebow did as a freshman for Leak and the O line can produce a good running game, I think Tennessee could make it to Atlanta. If Tennessee runs the Dobbs read option offense with Dormady, Tennessee is 7-5 at best. Dormady is not a threat to run and the rest of the SEC knows that. If Butch doesn't know that, he'll be fired and rightfully so lol!

...and just like live stated, a bunch that played, played hurt.

Every team loses players and has players play hurt, every season, every game. For example, Florida was missing 7 starters when they went to LSU late in the year with their season/SECe Division title aspirations on the line, and got it done. By contrast, we went to lowly Vanderbilt later the same day, missing 4 starters, with the chance to play in the Sugar Bowl on the line, and lost.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back