Realistic top 3 candidates imo.

1. Butch Jones
2. Charlie Strong (would be a bad hire)
3. Patterson (long shot)

Face it gruden will not happen and if it does i will not post again for a month.

Strong and Patterson maybe but no way ijn hell Hart hires Jones nor will the boosters front the money for that kind of hire. Not saying we will or wont get Gruden but Jones, Petrino, Dykes or Golden arent happening. Hart may as well hit the road if any of those happen. Gruden, Stoops, Strong, Fisher, Patterson, Mora and maybe the OC from San Fran would be acceptible. And would bet our next coach is one of those.

Strong and Patterson maybe but no way ijn hell Hart hires Jones nor will the boosters front the money for that kind of hire. Not saying we will or wont get Gruden but Jones, Petrino, Dykes or Golden arent happening. Hart may as well hit the road if any of those happen. Gruden, Stoops, Strong, Fisher, Patterson, Mora and maybe the OC from San Fran would be acceptible. And would bet our next coach is one of those.

I would be happy with Petrino, baggage included. He wins football games and is a great coach.

Reactions: 2 people
1. Butch Jones
2. Charlie Strong (would be a bad hire)
3. Patterson (long shot)

Face it gruden will not happen and if it does i will not post again for a month.

Terrible list. if we are looking at tier 3 coaches yes, but not tier 1.

Reactions: 1 person
1 Petrino
2 Petrino
3 Roman

I swear I dont understand the people wanting Petrino. First its never gonna happen, Gruden happens before Petrino. Secondly what has he won that has those select few wanting him? What conference championship, national championship or even BCS Bowl has he won. Hell his last BCS bowl put an end to the SEC streak over Ohio St. Got a$$ beating after a$$ beating from Saban with his beat teams or team he has had as a HC. Plus he is a scum, POS. Atleast if your gonna be a tool atleast win something of any significance like Saban and Meyer.

I swear I dont understand the people wanting Petrino. First its never gonna happen, Gruden happens before Petrino. Secondly what has he won that has those select few wanting him? What conference championship, national championship or even BCS Bowl has he won. Hell his last BCS bowl put an end to the SEC streak over Ohio St. Got a$$ beating after a$$ beating from Saban with his beat teams or team he has had as a HC. Plus he is a scum, POS. Atleast if your gonna be a tool atleast win something of any significance like Saban and Meyer.

With the current state of Tennessee football I would love to have had Petrino's records.

Surely to goodness it won't be Golden or Jones....would be seriously disappointed! I will always cheer for the Vols, however my die hard status would be tested with these hires.

I can't understand why some people don't want Petrino, he is available, cheap, and wins. What is he like 70-30 in college? We have been beat by Vandy and UK in the last 2 years. He had the doormat Arkansas a actual contender. He wins, we need a winner, wtf? he gets results from 2 and 3 star players, he is the absolute best option available.

Reactions: 2 people
Bob Stoops,Al Golden & Jimbo Fisher have already said they're not going anywhere FWIW.

1. Jon Gruden 49
2.Bob Stoops 52
3.Gary Patterson 52
4. Butch Davis 61
5. Mora Jr. 51

Last edited:
I'm not big on Petrino, but realistically, what are the better options? Charlie Strong is about the only one that comes to mind and he is not as proven.

I think briles is maybe the best "coach" of the potential candidates but he's not the most exciting. And who knows how well he could recruit in the sec. It really is gruden or bust. But the positive is...there's now way we could any worse this time around.

I can't understand why some people don't want Petrino, he is available, cheap, and wins. What is he like 70-30 in college? We have been beat by Vandy and UK in the last 2 years. He had the doormat Arkansas a actual contender. He wins, we need a winner, wtf? he gets results from 2 and 3 star players, he is the absolute best option available.

Disagree but everyone is entitled to their own opinion and have a favorite candidate. But he has been hated by AD personnel and down and is supposed to be impossible to deal with. He was very lucky fired was the worst thing that happened to him. Its been said by a couple media guys who have talked to Arky's AD that they were extremely fortunate lawsuits including being sued for millions didnt happen with that last stunt he pulled, which is exactly why Slive has had talks with AD's and without coming out and saying it suggested nobody hire him. Tony Barnhart said that on Finebaum.He has no morals at all and is not a popular guy to work for as I stated. Not to mention he wasnt a great recruiter as it is, his teams arent great defensively and what Mom's and Grandmothers are going to let their son play for that POS? At UT you have to recruit at a top level, which he already doesnt do, have an elite staff who can recruit, which he doesnt have and play defense and run the ball, which he doesnt do. Again Jmo but we are too good for him and he doesnt deserve to coach UT...Ever..

Petrino might be a scumbag, but he is a great coach. Look at Ark last year and look at them this year. Its pretty simple. I get people don't like his baggage, but he comes here and wins, and we won't think about it.

Calipari is a scumbag, but I don't hear KY fans complaining. All their opponents talk about it, but KY is very happy with him.

Just win baby!

Disagree but everyone is entitled to their own opinion and have a favorite candidate. But he has been hated by AD personnel and down and is supposed to be impossible to deal with. He was very lucky fired was the worst thing that happened to him. Its been said by a couple media guys who have talked to Arky's AD that they were extremely fortunate lawsuits including being sued for millions didnt happen with that last stunt he pulled, which is exactly why Slive has had talks with AD's and without coming out and saying it suggested nobody hire him. Tony Barnhart said that on Finebaum.He has no morals at all and is not a popular guy to work for as I stated. Not to mention he wasnt a great recruiter as it is, his teams arent great defensively and what Mom's and Grandmothers are going to let their son play for that POS? At UT you have to recruit at a top level, which he already doesnt do, have an elite staff who can recruit, which he doesnt have and play defense and run the ball, which he doesnt do. Again Jmo but we are too good for him and he doesnt deserve to coach UT...Ever..

I respect your opinion, I just think we have to stop the bleeding and wins will do that quicker than anything. Apparently Dooley was pretty difficult to deal with. If we can win, recruiting will get easier imo. He's a scum ok but we are on dumpster fire level on wins and loses.

Last edited:
Petrino might be a scumbag, but he is a great coach. Look at Ark last year and look at them this year. Its pretty simple. I get people don't like his baggage, but he comes here and wins, and we won't think about it.

Calipari is a scumbag, but I don't hear KY fans complaining. All their opponents talk about it, but KY is very happy with him.

Just win baby!

Agreed. It is not ideal and I doubt he will even be hired (I think he ends up at Auburn), but I guarantee you people would get off their moral high horses if he came in and won.

Just win baby!

I get that but Petrino has much more baggage than Petrino and didnt come within one pissed off woman from getting alot of people fired and suing for millions. We dont need that as our HC. Those kind of people never change and who knows what else he is capable of. Arky also had injury probs this year so it wasnt just coaching but definitely would have been better. But dude cant recruit for $hit and thats why he could never win the west nor even be competitive with Saban. He still would have gotten the brakes beat off him by Ala this year and by A'm and LSU and prob Miss St as well. I mean yea 8-9 wins would be an improvement but eventually we are gonna win some SEC titles and even a NC and he hasnt shown that ability.

My realistic top 5 would be:

Patterson, make him say NO to 4.25 mil

Petrino, we need to win now 2.5 mil

Holgerson, needs a good DC 2.75 mil

Butch Jones, value hire who wins 2.3 mil

Butch Davis, proven track record 2.5 mil

I respect your opinion, I just think we have to stop the bleeding and wins will do that quicker than anything. Apparently Dooley was pretty difficult to deal with. If we can win, recruiting will get easier imo. He's a scum ok but we are on dumpster fire level on wins and loses.

I respect yours as well I just think were asking for trouble with Petrino. Dooley was hard to work for it sounded like but supposedly Petrino makes him look like Bruce Pearl.

VN Store

Back