Ranking Vol QB's - Andy Kelly to present day

Clausen was good. But he played on a team full of stars, don't forget that little tid bit. It is obvious who had the better supporting cast on both sides of the ball, yet no mention in your stat analysis, nor a true comparison of the two.

Stats don't lie. He was 14-1 on the road, including two wins at Florida and two wins at Bama...his first start as a freshman was a win at Bama. Team full of stars needed the Ice Man to put up that record on the road in the SEC.

Reactions: 1 person
I'd go as far as putting Dobbs at #2. The guy literally carried the team on his back for 2 years. Yes, Manning was clearly a better QB but (my opinion) Dobbs would've done just as well or better than any of the other QBs given the teams they played on.

Love Dobbs, but... don't think so

Those of you that have Bray at 6-8 didn’t watch him throw the ball. I’m not saying he was Manning or Shuler but we put up a tone of points with him slinging it and this was during the Dooley era. He may not have been the brightest but he is definitely in the top 5 post Kelly era.
Edit: This coming from a Vol fan since the Jeff Francis era. I don’t comment or post a lot but come on, set the off field crap to the side. I love Dobbs and Clausen but truthfully, Tee is overrated in a “Top” anything such as this. Those that were around in 98 to truly see what was what knows the ground game carried the 98 team as well as 99. I was as frustrated as the rest of you in the Dooley years but come on, call it like it was. Post Ainge he was the only QB we have had since that could sling it and accurately hit a receiver.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Clausen was good. But he played on a team full of stars, don't forget that little tid bit. It is obvious who had the better supporting cast on both sides of the ball, yet no mention in your stat analysis, nor a true comparison of the two.

Dobbs had just as much talent around him. Difference is, it was wasted.

Todd Helton for quitting and telling fulmer he should focus on baseball.

Second pick, Brandon Stewart bc he beat k state to allow us to play in NC game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
. . . Dobbs is better than Martin ever dreamed of being.

That is absurd. Martin had a cannon arm and could stick it on a dime. He has some of the most impressive completion streaks in the NCAA. He was an outstanding passer and field leader. Dobbs may be more athletic and a better runner, but QBs need to be able to throw the football. Tee was outstanding throwing the ball. Dobbs was not.

Time, nostalgia and Butch being a distant memory will make Dobbs shoot up the list someday.

I remember how far down these lists Clausen was right after he graduated.

I am interested to see the opinions on this one. Please limit your rankings to guys who logged significant starts if you don't mind. Just list your top 10.

My personal ranking looks like this:
1. Peyton Manning
2. Heath Shuler
3. Tee Martin
4. Casey Clausen
5. Andy Kelly
6. Joshua Dobbs
7. Erik Ainge
8. Tyler Bray
9. Jonathan Crompton
10. Justin Worley

1. Andy Kelly. he's not better than Peyton, but he's the guy that really set up the run we had in the 90's, from a QB standpoint. those teams he was the qb for were fun as hell to watch....and they won a lot. back to back SEC titles, miracle at SB, Cotton bowl, Sugar bowl....
2. Manning
3. Shuler
4. Clausen
5. Dobbs
6. Martin
7. Ainge
9. Bray
9. Crompton (could have been higher, really glad he had the year he had in 09)
10. Worley

That is absurd. Martin had a cannon arm and could stick it on a dime. He has some of the most impressive completion streaks in the NCAA. He was an outstanding passer and field leader. Dobbs may be more athletic and a better runner, but QBs need to be able to throw the football. Tee was outstanding throwing the ball. Dobbs was not.

Dobbs had almost as many TD passes his Sr year as Martin's did for his career.

Martin was one of the least accurate QBs on these lists completing 55% despite having a rock solid line.

For me.

1. Peyton Manning
2. Heath Shuler
3. Casey Clausen
4. Andy Kelly
5. Joshua Dobbs
6. Tyler Bray
7. Tee Martin
8. Erik Ainge
9. Jonathan Crompton
10. Justin Worley

Much better. Might swap Kelly and Dobbs, or I might not.

I am interested to see the opinions on this one. Please limit your rankings to guys who logged significant starts if you don't mind. Just list your top 10.

My personal ranking looks like this:
1. Peyton Manning
2. Heath Shuler
3. Tee Martin
4. Casey Clausen
5. Andy Kelly
6. Joshua Dobbs
7. Erik Ainge
8. Tyler Bray
9. Jonathan Crompton
10. Justin Worley

1. Peyton
2. Dobbs
3. Casey Clausen
4. Shuler
5. Kelly
6. Ainge
7. Tee
8. Bray
9. Crompton
10. Worley

Now why did I rate Dobbs right under Manning? Because of what he did and what he had to work with. No QB on this list had to operate behind an OL that was even close to as bad as what Dobbs had. He basically carried the entire team to wins. Add into that sirry WR play and Butch Jones and its a wonder he was as good as he was. I honestly think Dobbs is the most under appreciated QB we have had in the last 25 years.

Those of you that have Bray at 6-8 didn’t watch him throw the ball. I’m not saying he was Manning or Shuler but we put up a tone of points with him slinging it and this was during the Dooley era. He may not have been the brightest but he is definitely in the top 5 post Kelly era.
Edit: This coming from a Vol fan since the Jeff Francis era. I don’t comment or post a lot but come on, set the off field crap to the side. I love Dobbs and Clausen but truthfully, Tee is overrated in a “Top” anything such as this. Those that were around in 98 to truly see what was what knows the ground game carried the 98 team as well as 99. I was as frustrated as the rest of you in the Dooley years but come on, call it like it was. Post Ainge he was the only QB we have had since that could sling it and accurately hit a receiver.

Never had a winning record as a QB...he’s ranked too high.

1. Peyton Manning
2. Heath Shuler
3. Tee Martin
4. Casey Clausen
5. Erik Ainge
6. Andy Kelly
7. Tyler Bray
8. Josh Dobbs
9. Jonathan Crompton
10. Jarrett Guarantano

1. Peyton Manning -- duh
2. Heath Shuler -- Heisman runner-up, a rare talent, left early or his stats would have been much better
3. Casey Clausen -- largely under-appreciated road warrior and winner
4. Joshua Dobbs -- instinctive, athletic, saved our bacon on numerous occassions
5. Tyler Bray -- Thing 1
6. Erik Ainge -- Thing 2
7. Andy Kelly -- "Mamaw" was solid, if not spectacular
8. Tee Martin -- on the team that went all the way, but wasn't the guy who drove the bus
9. Jonathan Crompton -- great talent who never realized his potential
10. Justin Worley -- no OL killed any chance he may have had

VN Store

Back