Rank Bruce Pearl as a basketball coach.

Voldad,

I really do want to know from you, from Hardwood, from Hat, the answer to the OP.

Is Bruce better or worse than the coaches at Clemson, GT and NC State?

Where does Bruce rank amongst SEC coaches? One Bruce critic on here made a list and had him 3rd, which is where he is paid right?

I think you would have to rank Pearl ahead of Purnell and probably ahead of Hewitt, and definitely ahead of Lowe. I would say he is third in the SEC behind Donovan and Calipari. Many people on here don't think Pearl is just a terrible coach, but we see glaring weaknesses that are going to have to be fixed before Tennessee sees any big time success.

the 60s and the Jerry Green era??? i obviously forgot..

was it the 44-46 barnburner with KY???

No, it was the beatdown of UConn in the 'AAs. That is the best win we have had in the tournament in my lifetime.

Voldad,

I really do want to know from you, from Hardwood, from Hat, the answer to the OP.

Where does Bruce rank amongst SEC coaches? One Bruce critic on here made a list and had him 3rd, which is where he is paid right?

exactly, with all the complaining i hear on this site about a better coach.... we arent UNC, Kansas, or Kentucky... we are lucky with what we have.

Your comments are funny because you're unable to tailor your language to comport with basic usage rules.

I am still rooting with Big Blue against UConn, but you make it so hard.

Wrong. I choose not to partake, when then person on the other side is incapable of intelligent conversation. I'm all for a good argument or debate, but its not possible when dealing with "certain" people.

Unlike you, I don't like wasting my time blathering and stumbling through a 3000 word post, that does absolutely no good and proves no point whatsoever.... in the hopes that it turns on someones light bulb, which is obviously burnt out.

You above all, are the LAST person that should be calling other peoples comments funny.

ohhh. you just wish him to be fired in a dignified way...

Here is a novel idea. HOW ABOUT HE FREAKING COACH!

You know:
* Get a PG
* Develop players
* Have a plan for when we are down by 1 at the end of the game and need a basket
Etc., etc.,

sorry for all the animosity towards certain posters on this thread but the amount of CBP hate in VolNation towards him and staff kinda sets me off.

Once again, SORRY

And what trophy did we get for that?

61_1_blue-ribbon-perfect-logo.JPG

I think you would have to rank Pearl ahead of Purnell and probably ahead of Hewitt, and definitely ahead of Lowe. I would say he is third in the SEC behind Donovan and Calipari. Many people on here don't think Pearl is just a terrible coach, but we see glaring weaknesses that are going to have to be fixed before Tennessee sees any big time success.

Thanks. Once the smoke clears I find that I actually agree with most of the people who are on here who argue with me more than I thought I did.

In the ACC I would say he is a better coach than those guys, and not as good of a coach at this point as Coach K (though he compares favorably the last 4 years) and of course Roy Williams. But guess what? Neither is almost anyone else!

There is a lot of space between "Bruce Pearl is not terrible" and what people who are realistic have to see, which is for getting publicity Bruce Pearl is a top 5 coach. For recruiting he may be approaching the top 10, he is hampered by Adidas but if T Harris and Hopson pan out and Wayne and Tyler S can stay on rosters he should stay in the top 10 firmly as a recruiter. The guy has been selling himself and his program with no NBA success, now he is on the cusp of some.

Bruce Pearl is probably the third best coach in the SEC, and would be top 5 in the ACC and top 4 or higher in every conference but the Big East. That is a very elite level coach. If he stays for 20 years, you and others are understandably concerned he will never get UT to the Final Four, but some of us believe he will and that he could stick around because he knows he can become UT's Jim Boeheim. I said on another thread if he wins an NC I could see him leaving for the NBA, but I think maybe he will learn the Pitino lesson and know you cannot recruit in the NBA and you actually have to spend more time on X's and O's than he wants to.

Bruce Pearl could be a top 20 CBB coach for the next 2 decades. If he does that this program will be at a height it never reached previously and will be in great shape to maintain that top level status.

I think the SEC is still better than the Big 10, but not by much at all. No one is crazy enough to think that the SEC is better than the Big East. The Big 12 just got a great win when Washington went down, which just sends the Pac 10 further into the abyss. It is kind of surprising how far those programs have fallen as a conference.

sorry for all the animosity towards certain posters on this thread but the amount of CBP hate in VolNation towards him and staff kinda sets me off.

Once again, SORRY

What Hate. We want him to improve. The Hate comes from you towards anyone who criticizes him.

Once again, SORRY

There's not much hate here. I think what you are referring to is what we like to call reality.

Voldad,

In the SEC, I like Pearl somewhere around the 2 or 3 spot. Alot of people want to give Donovan the crown with the two national championships, and thats all well and good. You can make that argument and not be wrong. I had a discussion in a thread several months ago about this. Take away that one recruiting class, and Donovan's coaching resume is filled with NIT's and early tourney exits. (besides the early final four) He's never been what I consider a "great coach".

Leave the UK troll comments and "Cal is a cheater" out of it, its obvious that Cal is a great coach. However, Pearls record against Cal is pretty good as well. The big difference is obviously post-season tourney success.

As for the other three schools, I can't see any reason to put Pearl behind any of them.

In the SEC, I like Pearl somewhere around the 2 or 3 spot. Alot of people want to give Donovan the crown with the two national championships, and thats all well and good. You can make that argument and not be wrong. I had a discussion in a thread several months ago about this. Take away that one recruiting class, and Donovan's coaching resume is filled with NIT's and early tourney exits. (besides the early final four) He's never been what I consider a "great coach".

Leave the UK troll comments and "Cal is a cheater" out of it, its obvious that Cal is a great coach. However, Pearls record against Cal is pretty good as well. The big difference is obviously post-season tourney success.

I don't think you can put Cal ahead of Donovan. While I agree with most that say that Donovan kind of lucked into getting the "perfect group" together, it's hard to argue with 2 rings and 3 final fours. However, I think that both Cal and Donovan clearly have to be ahead of Pearl.

As for the other three schools, I can't see any reason to put Pearl behind any of them.

Again thank you for responding.

I cannot figure out if Billy D got lazy after his NC's or what happened. His recruiting seems to have picked up in the last 3 months as does his team, maybe he will have a very good year.

I also think Hardwood that I would be interested in hearing you discuss Cal's offense and UT's. I think they are similar, and I enjoy watching both when they are really going.

Once again, SORRY

Correct me where I am wrong but it seems that you don’t know as much about basketball as the people you are criticizing.

You just seem to know that UT is doing better now than in the past; so you are a happy camper.

I don't think you can put Cal ahead of Donovan. While I agree with most that say that Donovan kind of lucked into getting the "perfect group" together, it's hard to argue with 2 rings and 3 final fours. However, I think that both Cal and Donovan clearly have to be ahead of Pearl.

Exactly. If my post reflected that, it was not meant to. Donovan deserves the top spot. I like pearl at the 3 spot.

VN Store

Back