Random thoughts/stats/discussion after 4 games

Sometimes if Rodman couldn't grab a rebound because he was bit out of position he'd tip it to an open space on the floor and then go get it.

Rodman was a savvy player who understood quite well what was happening out on the court.

He adored his Detroit coach Chuck Daly.

McGee tips balls like that. Did it twice yesterday. One was an OB and the other a foul

You also get an extra foul in the NBA, and the Bulls had a guy by the name of Michael Jordan that the Vols currently do not posses

I get that but IMO McGee isn't a guy that we should alarmed at because he gets a 2nd foul in the first half.

Let that guy do his thing and if he is a guy that we desperately need inside of 5min sit him after he gets his 4th.

He isn't figured in to play enough minutes to worry about sitting him so early in games to me.

I get that but IMO McGee isn't a guy that we should alarmed at because he gets a 2nd foul in the first half.

Let that guy do his thing and if he is a guy that we desperately need inside of 5min sit him after he gets his 4th.

He isn't figured in to play enough minutes to worry about sitting him so early in games to me.

He's averaging 1 foul every 4 minutes, he's currently only playing about 14mpg, IMO Barnes would love to play him ~25mpg, but the first half foul trouble is preventing that. I don't have the breakdown, but I'm guessing he's played more minutes in the 2nd half than in the 1st half this season, and that's because of foul trouble.

He's averaging 1 foul every 4 minutes, he's currently only playing about 14mpg, IMO Barnes would love to play him ~25mpg, but the first half foul trouble is preventing that. I don't have the breakdown, but I'm guessing he's played more minutes in the 2nd half than in the 1st half this season, and that's because of foul trouble.

You really think Barnes wants him playing 25min?

That sounds high.

What's the most fouls in a game he has this year?

You really think Barnes wants him playing 25min?

That sounds high.

What's the most fouls in a game he has this year?

Yes I do, if he could do it while avoiding foul trouble. He won't play him 18 minutes in one half, but I think he's a guy Barnes would love to play 10-12 minutes a half.

He had 4 fouls against GT in 20 minutes.

Yes I do, if he could do it while avoiding foul trouble. He won't play him 18 minutes in one half, but I think he's a guy Barnes would love to play 10-12 minutes a half.

He had 4 fouls against GT in 20 minutes.

Ok if he played 20min and had 4 fouls then he should have played more if they want 25min

That's my point. Keep playing him. He has lost minutes in the other games due to fouls but never got more than the 3rd foul. Seems to me let him go longer

If he isn't available in the last 5 minutes so be it because he isn't playing many of those minutes anyway

JMO

Last edited:
With the new hand checking fouls Rodman would have fouled out before the end of the 1st quarter in today's game lol.

Meh that's every great defender back then. Rodman would have adapted, his basketball IQ was pretty high.

Later in his career yeah. But even a lot of those he was trying to set up getting a technical or just getting in someone's head. To me the real Rodman was the one that played in Detroit, that was the ball player Rodman and he was a very smart player.

This. There were some wtf moments, but usually a reason behind what he was doing. Rarely did he get them when there was a chance it would hurt his PT. Rodman was a lot smarter player than people give him credit for.

Ok if he played 20min and had 4 fouls then he should have played more if they want 25min

That's my point. Keep playing him. He has lost minutes in the other games due to fouls but never got more than the 3rd foul. Seems to me let him go longer

If he isn't available in the last 5 minutes so be it because he isn't playing many of those minutes anyway

JMO

That's what you're missing, I'm not saying he'll play 40 minutes, or 20 minutes each half. He's the second option behind Reese, so if he misses 15 minutes in the first half because of foul trouble, he's only still gonna see 10-12 minutes in the second half because he likely won't play over Reese or Moore if we go 5 guard.

If he plays 5 minutes in the first 10 minutes of the first half and only has 1 foul, that allows Barnes to go to him again in the first half, but often we've seen McGhee pick up 2 fouls in the first half and as that means with most coaches/players you're done for the first half, and that's almost always when we've seen Alexander/Kasongo/Schofield...late in the first half with McGhee on the bench with 2 fouls.

Last edited:
That's what you're missing, I'm not saying he'll play 40 minutes, or 20 minutes each half. He's the second option behind Reese, so if he misses 15 minutes in the first half because of foul trouble, he's only still gonna see 10-12 minutes in the second half because he likely won't play over Reese or Moore if we go 5 guard.

If he plays 5 minutes in the first 10 minutes of the first half and only has 1 foul, that allows Barnes to go to him again in the first half, but often we've seen McGhee pick up 2 fouls in the first half and as that means with most coaches/players you're done for the first half, and that's almost always when we've seen Alexander/Kasongo/Schofield...late in the first half with McGhee on the bench with 2 fouls.

IMO I would play McGee without hesitation of fouls until he gets his 3rd in the first half.

And I would do the same until he has 4 in the second half.

Under that plan I think he would end up getting about 20min a game which is where I would assume the coaches want him

Just seems silly taking him out after 2fouls in the 1st half

Reactions: 1 person
IMO I would play McGee without hesitation of fouls until he gets his 3rd in the first half.

And I would do the same until he has 4 in the second half.

Under that plan I think he would end up getting about 20min a game which is where I would assume the coaches want him

Just seems silly taking him out after 2fouls in the 1st half

I get what you're saying, but it's obvious by how it's played out that's not how Barnes will play it. Moral of the story is, if McGhee cut out the "dumb" fouls this wouldn't be an issue either way.

I get what you're saying, but it's obvious by how it's played out that's not how Barnes will play it. Moral of the story is, if McGhee cut out the "dumb" fouls this wouldn't be an issue either way.

Intersting to see if cutting out that reckless abandon hurts his effectiveness.

Jmo but I think it would

Per utsports release, despite having an average roster height of 6'4" Tennessee leads the SEC and ranks 20th nationally in rebounds per game.

VN Store

Back