Question for military people.

P4H, don't lie. The recruiter will get you through if you meet all requirements. Believe it or not, tattoo's can get you disqualified pretty quick.
I would not contact a recruiter until you are HEP free. This is a disease that can keep you off world-wide availability, not what the Mil wants.
Also, take into account your financial situatiins. Bad finances can nix a T/S.
A secret clearance is pretty much automatic for a US citizen, although it can take 6 to 12 months to clear.

What branch and careerfield are you interested in?

PS: I'm not a recruiter - just a retiree.

Last edited:
P4H, don't lie. The recruiter will get you through if you meet all requirements. Believe it or not, tattoo's can get you disqualified pretty quick.
I would not contact a recruiter until you are HEP free. This is a disease that can keep you off world-wide availability, not what the Mil wants.
Also, take into account your financial situatiins. Bad finances can nix a T/S.
A secret clearance is pretty much automatic for a US citizen, although it can take 6 to 12 months to clear.

What branch and careerfield are you interested in?

PS: I'm not a recruiter - just a retiree.

I think the Army gives me the best chance to get in based on my research. As far as which MOS, I guess I need to see what my ASVAB scores say I qualify for. I expect that to be most jobs, as I've scored between 85-95 on practice tests. Have any recommendations?

I think the Army gives me the best chance to get in based on my research. As far as which MOS, I guess I need to see what my ASVAB scores say I qualify for. I expect that to be most jobs, as I've scored between 85-95 on practice tests. Have any recommendations?

With that score, you are eligible for just about everything. As far as Army, I will have to defer to Yank and the other guys. They are a well of info.

And remember, in the military, 99% of everything is waiverable.

lower arm and leg tats will get you nixed these days. The T/S doesn't have to be obtained right away except for a few MOSs in the Army. If he gets in good credit standing, he'll be fine when the time comes to look at a TS.

I just have no idea what the hep will do, and like Yank says, reading an A/R just to find out isn't worth it.

A little update
The Navy recruiters in a nutshell told me to get lost. Knowing I was too old for USMC and that USAF if highly selective these days, I went to the Army recruiter. Told him everything. He is convinced I am clear once I've treated the hep and wants me to keep in contact and work out with the delayed entry's!

Yeah but crypto linguists get a $30k bonus upon finishing a 1-year AIT in California. So it's pretty enticing

I'm not trying to sound like the guy that doesn't play the lottery because by the time you tax $250 million you only make $130 million, but the $30k gets spread out over 3 years and is taxed. I say that to further my actual point:

There is nothing worse you can with a military career than choose an MOS simply for the money. Find an MOS, regardless of sign on bonus that you will actually like doing. An extra $7k a year just isn't worth doing a job you hate, but are contractually obligated to do for five years.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not trying to sound like the guy that doesn't play the lottery because by the time you tax $250 million you only make $130 million, but the $30k gets spread out over 3 years and is taxed. I say that to further my actual point:

There is nothing worse you can with a military career than choose an MOS simply for the money. Find an MOS, regardless of sign on bonus that you will actually like doing. An extra $7k a year just isn't worth doing a job you hate, but are contractually obligated to do for five years.

Good advice. Thanks a bunch!

Are you married or have kids? If so, you'll automatically qualify for BAH and BAS. That's a good amount of money you'll be making. If you're willing to go Ranger, you're willing to jump out of a perfectly good airplane once every 3 months no? That's an extra $150/month right there. BAH is the average (ok, technically now it's 99% of the average) of rent in the area you live. It's rank structured though, so a PFC won't be getting as much as an NCO, but it's still extra money. BAS is like $350 some dollars a month for food expenses.

I haven't posted to the board in over a year, but thought this was worth responding to. I socialized your question with an actual Army Recruiter, and here is the response:

Good afternoon,

Visit a local Recruiting Center to converse with one of the Army's
finest Army Strong Recruiters. At a minimum you will be asked to honestly,
with integrity explain any and every chronic and acute illness, law
violations and the outcome of each, marital status, and education level
completed. Should you pass the prescreen process, you will be administered
the EST test which measures your ability to satisfactorily pass the ASVAB
test.
Recruiters are experts in their profession. With
that being said should there be documents required of you to prove or
disprove a possible hurdle regarding your ability to be qualified, you will
be advised of those processes during the interview. Do the right thing; it's
easier.

Reactions: 1 person

Bill's advice is the best you've gotten. If you can get in pick the MOS you will enjoy the most over the enlistment term. Ask around for some advice from guys who have been in once you narrow it down.

Example; friend's kid narrowed it down to armor, infantry or combat engineer, combat engineer was offering a bonus. I told him that I never met a CE that liked his job. He went CE and hated it for 4 years.

I haven't posted to the board in over a year, but thought this was worth responding to. I socialized your question with an actual Army Recruiter, and here is the response:

Good afternoon,

Visit a local Recruiting Center to converse with one of the Army's
finest Army Strong Recruiters. At a minimum you will be asked to honestly,
with integrity explain any and every chronic and acute illness, law
violations and the outcome of each, marital status, and education level
completed. Should you pass the prescreen process, you will be administered
the EST test which measures your ability to satisfactorily pass the ASVAB
test.
Recruiters are experts in their profession. With
that being said should there be documents required of you to prove or
disprove a possible hurdle regarding your ability to be qualified, you will
be advised of those processes during the interview. Do the right thing; it's
easier.

Amazingly good advice. So good, he already followed it.

So I'm 31. Lost my job. I'm in decent shape (I could be in top athletic form in 3 months.) I want to join the military. Specifically, I am looking at some jobs that require secret security clearance.

Here's the sh*t kicker. I am in recovery from opiate addiction. I've been clean since 2010. I have never been arrested or charged with any drug crimes. Never been charged with ANY crimes. I also have hepatitis, although I am doing a new treatment that will CURE it within the next 2 months.

So. What do I do? Do I go in and own up to what I've done in my past and hope like Hell I can get waivered in, or should I lie through my teeth and deny deny deny?

Don't mention the crimes you were never charged with. A secret clearance isn't ****, you'll be fine.

VN Store

Back