Question about reviews

I get it if it is actually a block, but review the play right then and there to determine that…that way whoever got possession afterwards gets the ball and you don’t have to worry about taking away points afterwards.
Agreed, most of the time the ball goes out of bounds so the offensivet team would get possession yet te defensive team gets the ball.
If it’s overturned then the ball should be awarded to the offensive team if he play deemed it

Reactions: sami and feathersax
Hel-!! That judgmental rule is nothing. It only happens a couple three times a game. The really bad ones are the blocking or charge calls. They happen on nearly every possession. I don't think any two refs call this the same way. Another thing DO NOT ALLOW TEAMS TO GO TO THE BENCH WHILE THE REFS WATCH THE REPLAYS.

Reactions: walkenvol
It seems like we got the rebound on that one too so it would have been our ball. Instead, 3 minutes later they just take two points away and say deal with it.

Reactions: sami and HalfullVol
It seems like we got the rebound on that one too so it would have been our ball. Instead, 3 minutes later they just take two points away and say deal with it.
yeah, that's a BS way of dealing with that situation.

officiating lacking integrity if that is the process.

otherwise an official statement needs to be made to provide clarity on how that was handled.

I get it if it is actually a block, but review the play right then and there to determine that…that way whoever got possession afterwards gets the ball and you don’t have to worry about taking away points afterwards.

Imagine a tie game with 30 seconds to go, play had not stopped for a couple of minutes and the refs go to review that play and take points off the board. There would be a damn riot. That rule has to be changed.

That's a great point. If you're going to take a basket away, look at it right there. It's not like there aren't a million stoppages as it is.

But to take points away after also giving the other team possession as if it was goaltending is absurd, and penalizes a team twice.

Reactions: Evol and volwindy
That's a great point. If you're going to take a basket away, look at it right there. It's not like there aren't a million stoppages as it is.

But to take points away after also giving the other team possession as if it was goaltending is absurd, and penalizes a team twice.
I think I heard them say that in the last 4 min of half/game the refs can stop it to look. Other times they have to wait until the next stoppage.

Imagine a tie game with 30 seconds to go, play had not stopped for a couple of minutes and the refs go to review that play and take points off the board. There would be a damn riot. That rule has to be changed.
Seriously. The refs are in danger of getting trampled in a riot if they don’t change it. It’s gonna happen the way you said at some point and all of a sudden there will be an outcry to protect officials. Then it will change.

Reactions: gainesvol82
The crazy thing about the play in question is that I'm still not sure they got it right, even all those moments later. I'm not certain that the ball was on its way down (in fact, I don't think it was), but it wasn't still on its way up, either. It had reached its apex, and man, if it's that close, you gotta go with the original call. Just an instance of overanalysis. It was called goaltending and there is nothing on replay to suggest they just butchered it.

Reactions: ButchPlz and BartW
Texas is called for goaltending, the ball was swatted out of bounce and would have been Tennessee's ball if no call was made.

They reverse the call 2 minutes later and take the points away but Tennessee gets hit twice because they didn't get the possession back?

I love that we don't bog the game down stopping play all the time for reviews but how is this fair?
If you go back and watch the play the ball goes directly to a Texas player not out of bounds. The rule is stupid and I was pretty mad when they came back from break and just casually mentioned they had reversed the call. I had the same thought you did but in this case it didn’t cost anything but the points.

If you go back and watch the play the ball goes directly to a Texas player not out of bounds. The rule is stupid and I was pretty mad when they came back from break and just casually mentioned they had reversed the call. I had the same thought you did but in this case it didn’t cost anything but the points.

That’s what I thought but everybody seemed certain that it went out of bounds so I didn’t question it.

Yeah, rule is dumb but it didn’t burn us twice this time. As a lifelong Vols fan, it’s actually shocking that it didn’t.

I think we had 4 of those reviews this year. Every one of them went against UT. 3 scores removed well after the play and one goal tending called against UT was either upheld or points added to the opponents total.

Reactions: gainesvol82
I want chaos as long as they keep this stupid rule. Adjust a score after the clock hits 0:00 and flip a win to a loss or switch the result versus the spread.

Reactions: zansdad

VN Store

Back