Question about reviews

air_force_vol

Texas is called for goaltending, the ball was swatted out of bounce and would have been Tennessee's ball if no call was made.

They reverse the call 2 minutes later and take the points away but Tennessee gets hit twice because they didn't get the possession back?

I love that we don't bog the game down stopping play all the time for reviews but how is this fair?

Texas is called for goaltending, the ball was swatted out of bounce and would have been Tennessee's ball if no call was made.

They reverse the call 2 minutes later and take the points away but Tennessee gets hit twice because they didn't get the possession back?

I love that we don't bog the game down stopping play all the time for reviews but how is this fair?
It’s a terrible rule that needs to be fixed. Either review it immediately or let it go.

That should be a rule change. You can’t retroactively take points off the board whenever we still would have had possession of the ball. You never know what can happen on any given possession. It’s a stupid rule. I’m cool with the 3 pointers getting reviewed if a toe is on the line but this particular play should be a review it instantly or play on. It’s a dead ball anyways so just go ahead and review it on the spot.

It's a new rule this year. If you don't have clear possession it goes to the arrow, and that's only if they get to review it immediately. Otherwise it goes to the next TV time out. It also has to be called a goal tend. So you can only take points away. You can't review an obvious missed goaltend that would add points.

I hate it because we've seen it three times this year in our games and it hurt us each time.

Change it later if the toe is over the line but removing points for that is crap. Just take them and we get no chance to get them back? Lost points and lost possession for a refs bad call is criminal
This is what I've been saying. It makes no sense to change it when you whistle a live ball dead.

This has to be the first topic of discussion in the offseason from the rules committee. I can't believe this made its way to production in the first place without someone envisioning what a stupid rule it was and the potential consequences. Just completely ignorant. Just stop calling questionable instances of goaltending if you're going to punish teams twice for it.

This has to be the first topic of discussion in the offseason from the rules committee. I can't believe this made its way to production in the first place without someone envisioning what a stupid rule it was and the potential consequences. Just completely ignorant. Just stop calling questionable instances of goaltending if you're going to punish teams twice for it.

We’ve been on the wrong end of I think 4 of those including a review of TN blocking a shot that was later reversed as a goal tending call. Maybe 5. 2 or 3 were in one game.

Reactions: cncchris33
Like I said... the flow of the game is great and great point about the 3 point shot, that doesn't cost you twice. Goal tending has to be reviewed instantly or else you are screwing a team over. Imagine if we hadn't had won this game.

Reactions: TnScooby
Swatted out of bounce?
Your auto-correct needs a good spanking.
Grammar police in this thread? It's about a goaltending call but you're correcting grammar? C'mon Ed, you're better than that.

BTW, My wife is STILL incredulous that UT didn't get possession after they took the points off the board. Stupid rule that needs to be changed as soon as possible. I think they should either stop and review when it happens or award possession if a circumstance like that happens again.

Grammar police in this thread? It's about a goaltending call but you're correcting grammar? C'mon Ed, you're better than that.

BTW, My wife is STILL incredulous that UT didn't get possession after they took the points off the board. Stupid rule that needs to be changed as soon as possible. I think they should either stop and review when it happens or award possession if a circumstance like that happens again.
It's the sort of faux pas that always makes me chuckle.

Reactions: Element01

I always thought if this happens just like it did last night with a team losing points (legitimate) and then losing possession (wrong). They at least need to change the possession arrow to the team that got the double whammy or if the arrows is on them already they get the next also. Other than that they either need to quit reviewing later or review at the time if there is a question.

Reactions: TnScooby
Not gonna lie, I was expecting that reversal to end up being the difference for a Texas win last night.

It's an idiotic rule and should be reviewed immediately.

If they are so worried about flow of the game then stop extending half time and cut back a little on the TV timeouts.

Know that isn't about to happen though.

Not gonna lie, I was expecting that reversal to end up being the difference for a Texas win last night.

It's an idiotic rule and should be reviewed immediately.

If they are so worried about flow of the game then stop extending half time and cut back a little on the TV timeouts.

Know that isn't about to happen though.
Or the out of bounds play they gave to Texas which should’ve been our ball, or the full extension offensive foul that created space to make a three! That was 5 points in a very short time. Basketball officiating is the worst out of every major sport.

Or the out of bounds play they gave to Texas which should’ve been our ball, or the full extension offensive foul that created space to make a three! That was 5 points in a very short time. Basketball officiating is the worst out of every major sport.
Yeah....officiating across the board is one reason I am far less invested in basketball than I used to be...especially this time of year.

Still follow the Vols religiously but that's about it.

Reactions: Element01

VN Store

Back