Punter Nathan Renfro transferring from Maryland

Speaking of the kicking game, will we be using a Nike football come season play?

But Leaverton tackled Warrick, saving our NC.

The Colquitts need to do some more procreating.

Recall reading somewhere that more than a half dozen little Colquitt boys are kicking up a storm. Sign 'em up! :whistling:

I agree with all of this, but if a quality walk-on like Renfro was available why did we spend a scholarship to sign Townsend? Remember that we told a 4-star runningback with 4.3 speed (Kendall Bussey) that we didn't have room to sign him. Heaven forbid if something happens to Hurd and/or Kamara, a redshirt scholarship punter isn't going to help us then. I still think the scholarship offers for Townsend and especially Lovingame were ill-advised.

In Butch we Trust. Not you or Bussey.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree with all of this, but if a quality walk-on like Renfro was available why did we spend a scholarship to sign Townsend? Remember that we told a 4-star runningback with 4.3 speed (Kendall Bussey) that we didn't have room to sign him. Heaven forbid if something happens to Hurd and/or Kamara, a redshirt scholarship punter isn't going to help us then. I still think the scholarship offers for Townsend and especially Lovingame were ill-advised.

So let me get this straight - you are basically asking why we got a true freshman when there was a quality option available in a 5th year senior? Okay, Dooley...

Are you familiar with him beyond the 41 ypp average? Great hang times? Great at pinning the opponent inside the 20?

41 ypp alone doesn't make a "great" punter unless being in the top 81 is considered "great" as it appears to be about the middle of the pack?

FBS Leaders - Punt Average - CBSSports.com College Football Stats

Well, in further response to this.... some stats:

2014: Not posted on MD's website, but 84 punts for 3487 yards averaging 41.5 yards. If anyone can find more specific stats feel free to add to this.

2013: Punted 75 times for 3063 yards averaging 40.8 yards, 18 pinned the opponent inside the 20, 7 inside the 10, and 20 were fair caitches. So 1/3 of his kicks were inside the 20 or better, and of course knowing Maryland football some of those kicks were probably deep in their own territory. He made a 64 yard punt (career long) against West Virginia, a 61 yarder against Clemson, and a 60 yarder against Boston College.

2012: Punted 75 times for 2974 yards averaging 39.7 yards. 15 of those punts pinned the opponent inside the 20 and 17 were fair catches. Against William and Mary he had 4 punts go for a total of 212 yards, or an average of 53 in one game, one being a (at the time) career long of 60 and one pinning them inside the 20. He definitely had less impressive stats this year, but he also definitely seemed much more consistent in 2013, and presumably was even more so in 2014.

Overall he seems to get better and better every year, and I believe he will be a valuable addition to our team and could possibly help us win close games if he's able to control the field position battle. His stats/history say he should be even more consistent this year.

Nathan Renfro Biography - Maryland Terrapins Athletics - University of Maryland Terps Official Athletic Site

As an edit and afterthought, in reference to the number of returnable punts he made, our punt coverage unit will be much better, faster, and more talented than Maryland's so his stats should improve in fair catches as well.

Last edited:
Since people are wondering about net yards, he is some extra info. He averages 41.5 yards per punt, with a total of 3487 yards. Maryland gave up 325 punt return yards. That gives him 3,162 net punt yards, and a net punt average of 37.64.

Reactions: 2 people
Since people are wondering about net yards, he is some extra info. He averages 41.5 yards per punt, with a total of 3487 yards. Maryland gave up 325 punt return yards. That gives him 3,162 net punt yards, and a net punt average of 37.64.

Finally, someone posted the stats that matter. I don't have any stats in front of me, but that net sounds pretty solid to me.

I definitely want a punter with experience when we play UF in the Swamp. I remember Leaverton against UCLA and it will be more intense with more on the line for us this Fall in Gainesville.

I definitely want a punter with experience when we play UF in the Swamp. I remember Leaverton against UCLA and it will be more intense with more on the line for us this Fall in Gainesville.

I hear ya, brother and I don't dispute your point about the value of an experienced punter in hostile turf ...

... but I just have to add, wasn't it also Leaverton who went on to settle down, grow up, and made saving tackle on kickoff return in our national championship game? We will also remember him for that. :happy:

I say on every punt we have Hurd and Kamera line up on opposite sides of the punter and make it a triple option punt!

The 3 lining up to protect the punter should be Hurd, Kamera and Dobbs. Quad option.

Come to think about it, Dobbs could pass, run or hand it off to Hurd or Kamera. Now I count 7 options.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight - you are basically asking why we got a true freshman when there was a quality option available in a 5th year senior? Okay, Dooley...

Renfro was very inconsistent last year. Trevor Daniel or Townsend may end up being the best option.

VN Store

Back