Punter Nathan Renfro transferring from Maryland

I agree with all of this, but if a quality walk-on like Renfro was available why did we spend a scholarship to sign Townsend? Remember that we told a 4-star runningback with 4.3 speed (Kendall Bussey) that we didn't have room to sign him. Heaven forbid if something happens to Hurd and/or Kamara, a redshirt scholarship punter isn't going to help us then. I still think the scholarship offers for Townsend and especially Lovingame were ill-advised.

There aren't any of neylands maxims about having a stable of 5-star running backs, but there are two dealing with the kicking game..

Reactions: 20 people
Are you familiar with him beyond the 41 ypp average? Great hang times? Great at pinning the opponent inside the 20?

41 ypp alone doesn't make a "great" punter unless being in the top 81 is considered "great" as it appears to be about the middle of the pack?

No one with more than a couple of punts last year averaged longer than Alabama's JK Scott and his 48 ypp. The top 100 or so punters were all in the 40-48 ypp range. Nathan Renfro is in that group of dependable punters.

The worst in the nation last year, among punters who got more than one or two attempts, was a kid named Holden Kramer out of Iowa State. He averaged 30 ypp. About 100 other punters were in the 30-40 ypp range.

So yes, Renfro is "about average" (at the 61% mark of the 30-48 ypp scale, so a little above average). But that's not what folks are celebrating...they're celebrating that we have a proven, experienced college punter. You want dependability more than anything else in a punter, and he's got it.

Our talented incoming freshman is highly touted, but still unknown and brand new at the college level. Now he'll have time to settle in nicely, thanks to Renfro.

That's what folks are happy about.

I'll take a "middle of the pack" insurance policy every day! Dude may be masterful at pinning um inside the 20....just asking. No need to be so mean. :hi:

Exactly.

Having a shaky punter can be a game changer (in a bad way). I'll take a 3 year starter to have in my pocket any day.

Exactly.

...who knows? Townsend could be our J.K. Scott and Renfro will never see the field. But I will feel much better about this season having a veteran handling those duties. Much less likely that he'll shank a punt due to nerves or inexperience during a critical situation.

Exactly.

He's a 3-year starter who has 234 career punts for over 9,500 yards in 38 games, while playing in a "Big 5" conference and improving every year -- his average per season went from 39.7 to 40.8 to 41.5 yards. That's experience and consistency. He's an academic all-conference guy who won't count against our scholarship limit. And he's a Tennessee boy who I imagine is coming home to live out a dream. I'm pretty sure this is all good news.

Whoa, nice detail. And...exactly!

Reactions: 7 people
I agree with all of this, but if a quality walk-on like Renfro was available why did we spend a scholarship to sign Townsend? Remember that we told a 4-star runningback with 4.3 speed (Kendall Bussey) that we didn't have room to sign him. Heaven forbid if something happens to Hurd and/or Kamara, a redshirt scholarship punter isn't going to help us then. I still think the scholarship offers for Townsend and especially Lovingame were ill-advised.

Because Townsend is the long term answer at punter. Because we need a scholarship punter at some point, and it isn't like space will suddenly become abundant next year. Because there might have been no guarantee regarding Renfro in February. And so on, and so forth.

Reactions: 2 people
And who knows? Townsend could be our J.K. Scott and Renfro will never see the field. But I will feel much better about this season having a veteran handling those duties. Much less likely that he'll shank a punt due to nerves or inexperience during a critical situation.[/QUOTE]

This!

Who was our punter against UCLA years and years ago that almost shanked us into a loss?

I'm pretty sure he worked out GREAT in his career, but his first game was as shaky as anything ever seen at Tennessee.

It's nice having experience...great pick-up.

Reactions: 1 person

In the 2014 cycle we had a good longsnapper committed as a walk on, until Oklahoma offered a scholarship and he signed with them.
Its a valuable position, and it was a scholarship well spent. Same with Townsend. If we didn't sign one and ended up having some critical bad snaps during the season, you Would be complaining about not having one.
Bussey flipped and we landed kelly, and i still believe paulk will be back in summer.

Reactions: 3 people
And who knows? Townsend could be our J.K. Scott and Renfro will never see the field. But I will feel much better about this season having a veteran handling those duties. Much less likely that he'll shank a punt due to nerves or inexperience during a critical situation.

This!

Who was our punter against UCLA years and years ago that almost shanked us into a loss?

I'm pretty sure he worked out GREAT in his career, but his first game was as shaky as anything ever seen at Tennessee.

It's nice having experience...great pick-up.[/QUOTE]

David Leaverton

What's up with Maryland pipeline recently. Has their been a new interstate built from Knoxville to Baltimore or something?

What's up with Maryland pipeline recently. Has their been a new interstate built from Knoxville to Baltimore or something?

*TWEEET* Transportation mixed-metaphor violation. Pipelines are not interstates. 10 yard penalty. Repeat first down.

I remember that UCLA game vividly. Poor David Leaverton apparently had stage fright and CPF refused to replace him and let him shank 5 or 6 punts. Nightmare. Peyton Manning was the QB. Anybody who hasn't seen it should try to find a video of it. It will burn into your tiny little brains how important an experienced, relaxed player at any position can be. Be careful tho, it will give you nightmares.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Most punts come between the 35-50 ydl , hang time and placement are just as important as distance. A 40-45 yd avg is good considering some of the kicking game is situational. :dunno:

I remember that UCLA game vividly. Poor David Leaverton apparently had stage fright and CPF refused to replace him and let him shank 5 or 6 punts. Nightmare. Peyton Manning was the QB. Anybody who hasn't seen it should try to find a video of it. It will burn into your tiny little brains how important an experienced, relaxed player at any position can be. Be careful tho, it will give you nightmares.
But Leaverton tackled Warrick, saving our NC.

The Colquitts need to do some more procreating.

This addition could be huge for the Vol's......kicking game could be solid
Go Vol's

If you don't think the kicking game is important look at Bama's last year. Unbelievable

I guess I am the only one who does not remember Trevor Daniel? :)

:angry: I gave that a like before I read it a second time; I thought you were saying Am I the only one who has not forgotten Trevor Daniel. I believe we will have more than two options; let the best man win -- and the next best, stay ready.

I guess I am the only one who does not remember Trevor Daniel? :)

I doubt you're the only one. He's not exactly a household name at this point. But if you look at an alphabetical roster, you'll see his name right there above Dobbs and Dormady.

:angry: I gave that a like before I read it a second time; I thought you were saying Am I the only one who has not forgotten Trevor Daniel. I believe we will have more than two options; let the best man win -- and the next best, stay ready.

Sorry, I did not mean that to be mean, I honestly had just forgotten about him until I looked him up. I just thought someone else would have mentioned him. Do you know how he has been doing?

I'll take a guy who have averaged over 40 yards every time. Especially with Townsend being an unknown.

Sorry, I did not mean that to be mean, I honestly had just forgotten about him until I looked him up. I just thought someone else would have mentioned him. Do you know how he has been doing?

No, man, I don't know. But I think Daniel was only a redshirt freshman this past year, when we had a senior Darr. I hope every one of our 2015s gives their all in the competition. And if any of our old punters -- most likely a Colquitt -- can give em pointers, that would be awesome too.

VN Store

Back