Pruitt's defense had 94 sacks the last 2 seasons

time is the great "see all, know all"...:)

PS. to me it is hard to see how we could get worse...:thumbsup:

GO VOLS!

Originally Posted by VolFreakJosh View Post
Pruitt had way better players than Butch during his time at Bama.

That's kind of confusing now that Pruitt's at Tennessee and Butch is wearing elephant jammies.

Last edited:
For the sake of argument and before the discussion once again regresses to the talent discussion, Jeremy Pruitt is a more aggressive kind of guy. He is just quicker to load up and come after the QB rather than Kirby Smart's approach. Smart always spoke about affecting the QB whether that actually meant sacking the QB or not. We did have some great sack numbers with Smart but it was much more of letting the front 4 beat their opponent. Pruitt will dial up more blitzes and he wants the QB on the ground, looking up. Both DCs are good at what they do, but Pruitt, to me, has the better feel for how to affect the game.

Thanks, my take as well. :good!:

For the sake of argument and before the discussion once again regresses to the talent discussion, Jeremy Pruitt is a more aggressive kind of guy. He is just quicker to load up and come after the QB rather than Kirby Smart's approach. Smart always spoke about affecting the QB whether that actually meant sacking the QB or not. We did have some great sack numbers with Smart but it was much more of letting the front 4 beat their opponent. Pruitt will dial up more blitzes and he wants the QB on the ground, looking up. Both DCs are good at what they do, but Pruitt, to me, has the better feel for how to affect the game.

I find it very hard to agree with a Tide poster but in this one instance I do. Smart at his core was a DB and has a DBs mentality to this day.

I believe we will see some more sacks and a better overall defense. But surely nobody thinks we will ever be on Saban level defense. Especially with him still coaching.

I believe we will see some more sacks and a better overall defense. But surely nobody thinks we will ever be on Saban level defense. Especially with him still coaching.

Pruitt coached some of Sabans best defenses.

He's our coach now.

Reactions: 2 people
Like I have said... any coach that changes his cover 7 defense is impressive... when we are in a 3-3 a blitz is coming... bank on it...

It's not a regression. It's just the reality of the situation.

At this point, what exactly can you do about that problem? Takes time and wanting it yesterday won't help.

In the meantime, based on the FSU experience that I witnessed and his time in Tuscaloosa, I think he's on the short list of the best DCs in the country. I wouldn't have swapped him for Aranda or Smart and there pretty good too.

At this point, what exactly can you do about that problem? Takes time and wanting it yesterday won't help.

In the meantime, based on the FSU experience that I witnessed and his time in Tuscaloosa, I think he's on the short list of the best DCs in the country. I wouldn't have swapped him for Aranda or Smart and there pretty good too.

I am fully aware and I'm not demanding results this year. I'm just saying, those stats ARE a bit skewed considering the talent he's had to work with. Only a fool would think otherwise. That's not to say he isn't a great coach but I don't think it's any coincidence that most of the best coaches in college also happen to have the best athletes.

We are all assuming CJP will run a defense similar to what he ran at Bama which is effectively Saban's D. Most of Saban's pressure comes from changing up who's coming out of the front 7 without giving up his numbers advantage. So you got 4 coming you just don't know who and unless your O line is good at picking it up you get pressure without giving up numbers. Bama also runs a lot of delayed blitzes with their MLB, he comes if there is no receiver in his coverage area. Again pressure without giving up something. So again assuming CJP is running what he has the last few years hopefully we get QB pressures and sacks without having to blitz much.

VN Store

Back