Pruitt to Bama in 5-6 years?

Using this logic, we should have ended up with Steve Spurrier at some point.

Spurrier played at Florida.... Pruitt played at Bama coached high school there and coached at Bama 11 years! Big difference its more like Fulmer. For UT before he got the HC job here

Swinney, Muschamp, Smart, Fisher, now Pruitt.

Nick Saban's coaching tree (or, in Swinney's case, other Bama ties) are pretty robust. Which one of those head coaches (or someone else entirely) eventually take's Saban's place at Alabama? Who knows.

Statistically, the chance it will be Pruitt is pretty small. Maybe 5%-10% range.

That's the math. Now the psychology.

Being head coach for the first time is a big deal. It ends up tying you to your new home. And the more successful you are, the more tightly it binds you.

So if Jeremy is in Knoxville, and successful, for 4-5-6 years before the Bama job comes open, there's a real good chance that his Vols ties are every bit as strong as his Bama ties by then.

One need look no farther than Texan Robert Neyland to understand how that bit of psychology plays out.

Bottom line: this is not one of those things it's worth spending time worrying about. Not today, and not for years to come barring a Nick Saban heart attack.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Apply a little dog-logic here... the last 10 days has seemed like 70 days, so if CJP gives Tennessee 4-5 years, will that seem like 35 years? I'll go with that.

Planning for a coach to depart PRIOR to his introduction... now THAT is battered wife syndrome.

I bet someone can dig up multiple threads of people here fretting about Butch Jones abandoning Tennessee for Michigan.

How did that work out?

Reactions: 2 people
I can only hope he’s good enough here that Bama will want him back. I think Bama goes after Dabo when the time comes.

Also remember how everyone had this fear with Dooley and UGA, Butch and Michigan?? Yeah I wouldn’t worry about that yet. Let’s see if he can coach first.

Reactions: 3 people
I am thrilled with this hire! I think he will get us back to a good place.

My only problem is if he has success and Alabama asks him to come home he would do that. (to replace saban)
They would of course try for Dabo first but he may turn it down.

1. His family lives in bama
2. He played at bama
3. He is a bama fan and his dad is an auburn fan.

This is the Kiffin effect, but that will always be in the back of my mind.

***With that being said, who gives a damn? We have a coach and if he is successful enough for bama to try for him down the road then he must have us in a good position to get a replacement in the future.***

Go Vols!

OMG.... No wonder our fans are the laughing stock of the SEC . Get a grip

Whoever they do hire will be an absolute disaster in failure… Zero ability to live up to Sabin fans will rioting at all of the big lot stores and Ollie stores

Cutcliffe was a bammer. You just never know.

Bingo. Follow me for a sec. Why do you think Dabo would turn it down if offered (I think he would)...because he already has built a successful program where he is the man. He wouldn't have to come back and rebuild at Bama most likely unless things turn south for Saban and crew (doubtful) but he would immediately step into a shadow (maybe he embraces that).

I think it is far more likely Saban has his replacement on staff right now. They will hire their own Bama coordinator to replace him IMO. Is it possible, absolutely with all his time and connections to Bama. Only reason they would want him back is if he was successful and Dabo said no.

If he's really sucessful like we are afraid he might be to go back to Bama, then we have enjoyed similar success to Clemson in which case he might so no thanks himself.

Just my delusional opinion.

My only problem is if he has success and Alabama asks him to come home he would do that. (to replace saban)

2. He played at bama

***With that being said, who gives a damn? We have a coach and if he is successful enough for bama to try for him down the road then he must have us in a good position to get a replacement in the future.***

Go Vols!

Dabo is the next Bama coach

2. He played at bama

Go Vols!

Dabo comes home first

Whoever they do hire will be an absolute disaster in failure… Zero ability to live up to Sabin fans will rioting at all of the big lot stores and Ollie stores

I think maybe you need to do a biopsy on that cancerous, mal-written post.

We’re already worrying about him leaving?

If in 5-6 years Bama wants him, then we’ve won a lot of football games and we will be in position to hire a great replacement.

By contrast, if in 5-6 years nobody wants him, he likely failed.

I’d take scenario #1.

I'd have to wonder if any head coach would want to immediately follow Saban.

The bama fan base isn't going to cut the new guy any slack. If he doesn't win the West in his first or 2nd year they'll be out for blood. Especially if he loses to Auburn.

He's not going to go back to Bama and out do Saban's legacy, so maybe he'll stay at UT and build a his own UT legacy.

Pruitt has Bama in his blood.

Probably cares more about them than he ever will with us.

This will be an unpopular opinion but I feel as if Pruitt is just using UT as a stepping stone to try to get better jobs in the future whether it’s being the HC at Alabama or another Powerhouse program.

Dabo will be the next coach once Saban leaves or retires. Tide would make him the highest paid coach in CFB.

I don’t think this is as obvious as everyone thinks

Dabo is building a legacy for himself at Clemson. Why would he want to come live in Nick Saban’s shadow?

Additionally, the road to the playoffs is significantly easier for him now. Life is so much better for him at Clemson.

Also for sake of argument, I don’t think coaches will be falling all over themselves to be the guy to replace Saban.

Most will not want that suicide mission.

You’ll be surprised how many will say no when the time comes

Fwiw, I don't buy the line that Butch Jones was hamstrung by an administration unwilling to invest in his assistants. That sounds like an excuse and some Butch spin. It's not supported by the hiring of Shoop. Butch is a control freak and very insular and stubborn. He brought almost his entire staff here from Cincy and told us he wanted "the best staff in America."

Now, this is some Chris Low speculation on how some important positions might be filled:

OC: Will Friend
DC: Kevin Sherrer
DL: Tracy Rocker
LB: Lance Thompson

VN Store

Back