Predictions On 2017-2018 Starting 5

The good thing is all these new players were recruited with this new offense in mind. As the new player come in and the old phase out there should be more consistency with more players of equal talent level & BB IQ all playing together. The best thing that could happen would be that Diamond and Mercedes both stay this way the old can teach the young. That might mean less minutes for those that don't fit the new system but that might be for the better.

Reactions: 1 person
Holly tried playing her alongside Mercedes and it didn't work. Schaquila can't play the high post, so that really does mostly limit her to playing as Mercedes' backup. I think that's one of the reasons that the double post strategy isn't used that often.

My point is that she's a good role player, but she's no Bashaara Graves.

Still if she plays 30 minutes a game like Graves and keeps doing what she does in 11 minutes her numbers are better than Graves numbers as a Senior.

Reactions: 2 people
Still if she plays 30 minutes a game like Graves and keeps doing what she does in 11 minutes her numbers are better than Graves numbers as a Senior.

And if you extrapolated Nia Moore's Jr. year numbers to per 30 minutes, then she would have averaged 14.1 ppg and 8.2 rbs. But we both know that's not how it works.

I stand by my statement: Qui is a nice role player and it's good to have another experienced player with size, but she's no Bashaara Graves. Not even close.

Holly tried playing her alongside Mercedes and it didn't work. Schaquila can't play the high post, so that really does mostly limit her to playing as Mercedes' backup. I think that's one of the reasons that the double post strategy isn't used that often.

My point is that she's a good role player, but she's no Bashaara Graves.

Nunn was out of basketball for a year, so there is an adjustment period not only in getting back to where she was and learning a new system. In addition there is an adjustment going from D 2 competition to D1 competition.

I would not consider her better than Graves, however, she looked great challenging ND and playing aggressive basketball. I hate we only have her for only year, I think she has some potential, if that potential come to light down the stretch that might help us big time in the conference and NCAA tournaments.

Nunn was out of basketball for a year, so there is an adjustment period not only in getting back to where she was and learning a new system. In addition there is an adjustment going from D 2 competition to D1 competition.

I would not consider her better than Graves, however, she looked great challenging ND and playing aggressive basketball. I hate we only have her for only year, I think she has some potential, if that potential come to light down the stretch that might help us big time in the conference and NCAA tournaments.

Winthrop is a Div 1 school. They're not a competitive one, but D1 nonetheless.

No one's saying she didn't look good against ND, but she played a lot of minutes against Nelson and a foul plagued Turner (courtesy of Russell) who had to be more restrained so she didn't pick up another foul. We don't beat ND without her contributions, but she's still no Graves. Still, like you said, she will be needed down the stretch to spell Russell or give a better rebounding/interior D option against bigger teams like SC.

Winthrop is a Div 1 school. They're not a competitive one, but D1 nonetheless.

No one's saying she didn't look good against ND, but she played a lot of minutes against Nelson and a foul plagued Turner (courtesy of Russell) who had to be more restrained so she didn't pick up another foul. We don't beat ND without her contributions, but she's still no Graves. Still, like you said, she will be needed down the stretch to spell Russell or give a better rebounding/interior D option against bigger teams like SC.

You are spot on.

I am really surprised that this Nunn vs. Graves debate has even started. The board has gone from saying that Nunn won't be able to compete at the D1 level (early season) to now suggesting she is better than a legit AA candidate.

Nunn has improved quite a bit in terms of adjusting to the speed and physicality of D1 and she is proving to be a valuable role player and displays a great attitude and enthusiasm. So, I am a fan but... she has no post game. She gets her points on offensive rebounds-- and she has gone from slinging the ball at the rim to putting it up with the some touch. And she is a solid defender in the post. While those are good attributes, she is often doing it against opponent's second team players and where defenses sometimes lose sight of her do to their emphasis on Nared and Diamond.

If she was a focal point of the offense, as Graves had to be, it would not be a formula for success.

Last edited:
would you rather have a short 6'2" Graves or a Solid 6'3" Nunn battling Coates?

I'd pick Nunn every time.

Coates and Wilson are just too big and forceful.

And if you extrapolated Nia Moore's Jr. year numbers to per 30 minutes, then she would have averaged 14.1 ppg and 8.2 rbs. But we both know that's not how it works.

I stand by my statement: Qui is a nice role player and it's good to have another experienced player with size, but she's no Bashaara Graves. Not even close.

I stand by what the stats say and the failure of Holly to play Qui enough and instead use a turnover prone player like Middleton far more minutes than she deserves. There is no competition with Graves she is not playing for the Lady Vols anymore.
Plus we will never know about Moore she never got much playing time either. Players usually get better when they get game action and she may have been a double double player at 30 minutes but the minutes were not there for her because of better players on the roster. In Qui's case there are no better players on the roster if you decide to use the 3 player perimeter set more.

Last edited:
I stand by what the stats say and the failure of Holly to play Qui enough and instead use a turnover prone player like Middleton far more minutes than she deserves.

So you also think Moore was better than Graves because her per 30 averages were better?

The stats say Nunn is good enough for 4.7 ppg in about 11 minutes of playing time...almost identical to Nia Moore's her junior year. As with every player in these types of comparisons, I guarantee that Nunn would not be able to replicate what Bashaara did if she had to play the same amount of minutes.

would you rather have a short 6'2" Graves or a Solid 6'3" Nunn battling Coates?

I'd pick Nunn every time.

Coates and Wilson are just too big and forceful.

Coates and Wilson will have zero problem with Qui unless they are playing carefully because other players did the dirty work to get them in foul trouble.

There's a reason she started at Winthrop and is getting the kinds of minutes she is. As madtownvol pointed out, she has no post moves. She is a pure hustle player, but that doesn't translate to an effective player game in-game out.

So you also think Moore was better than Graves because her per 30 averages were better?

The stats say Nunn is good enough for 4.7 ppg in about 11 minutes of playing time...almost identical to Nia Moore's her junior year. As with every player in these types of comparisons, I guarantee that Nunn would not be able to replicate what Bashaara did if she had to play the same amount of minutes.

No not better but probably able to get double double stats with 30 minutes a game playing time. She unfortunately was playing behind better players Qui just hasn't been given enough opportunity this season.
You can certainly guarantee it because she is not going to get the minutes her stats at her last college say otherwise and she had a double double against Tennessee when they played here.

Last edited:
No not better but probably able to get double double stats with 30 minutes a game playing time. She unfortunately was playing behind better players Qui just hasn't been given enough opportunity this season.

Jaime plays the high post better because she is a scoring threat from all over the court, rebounds about as well as Qui and is a more versatile defender. It also gives them an extra outside shooter. Mercedes plays the low post better because she's Mercedes. Qui can share some minutes at both spots, but those two players should definitely be ahead of her in the rotation.

If anything, I think the best use of Qui should be so those two aren't logging heavy minutes. There's no reason she shouldn't be playing 17-20 min a game, other than the fact that Holly often has the team playing down to their level of competition.

You can certainly guarantee it because she is not going to get the minutes her stats at her last college say otherwise and she had a double double against Tennessee when they played here.

And Winthrop lost by like 50 points, so it doesn't really say anything.

The good thing is all these new players were recruited with this new offense in mind. As the new player come in and the old phase out there should be more consistency with more players of equal talent level & BB IQ all playing together. The best thing that could happen would be that Diamond and Mercedes both stay this way the old can teach the young. That might mean less minutes for those that don't fit the new system but that might be for the better.

What's funny is I want Diamond to leave for the WNBA because I don't like her attitude on the court. She gets down on herself too often and doesn't seem to have the positive, competitive spirit the LVs are known for.

And Winthrop lost by like 50 points, so it doesn't really say anything.

Says she could score when she got the ball and her teammates couldn't kind of like we lost to Auburn by over 20 points even though Mercedes had a big game. Game was 81 to 48 Lady Vols 12 points and 15 rebounds and for that season she played 30.2 minutes per game scoring 12 ppg and 10.7 rebounds.

Last edited:
Says she could score when she got the ball and her teammates couldn't kind of like we lost to Auburn by over 20 points even though Mercedes had a big game. Game was 81 to 48 Lady Vols 12 points and 15 rebounds and for that season she played 30.2 minutes per game scoring 12 ppg and 10.7 rebounds.

She got 12 points and 15 rebounds while being guarded by Nia Moore, who had 14 points and 4 rebounds. You'd expect Qui to have more rebounds because she's bigger, stronger and good at boxing out...but again this was against Nia Moore who barely played the rest of the season. The fact that she let Moore put up those kinds of numbers says it all.

Think she would put up those kinds of numbers if she was guarded by Izzy Harrison?

She got 12 points and 15 rebounds while being guarded by Nia Moore, who had 14 points and 4 rebounds. You'd expect Qui to have more rebounds because she's bigger, stronger and good at boxing out...but again this was against Nia Moore who barely played the rest of the season. The fact that she let Moore put up those kinds of numbers says it all.

Think she would put up those kinds of numbers if she was guarded by Izzy Harrison?

She put up 8 and 4 versus Turner of Notre Dame and Yes if she played 30 minutes a game probably would put up ten against Harrison who was not a superb defender took a lot of possessions off.

Her career numbers were 11.9 points and 10.3 rebounds so I'm sure she saw some players along the way that could similar to Harrison.
I think she would be an asset if she could get in the game over 20 minutes if you rather have Middleton no problem looks like you'll get your wish. Personally I'd rather see the big lineup because were terrible on the offensive boards and Middleton really adds nothing on defense. She occasionally plays great at home.

one good pass per game does not equal 5 turnovers, or 15 pts given up by defensive errors....

play the big lineup

With both DeShields and Russell
Cooper/Hayes
DeShields/Westbrook/Middleton
Nared/Davis/Jackson/Dunbar
Green/Harris
Russell/KK

Without Diamond
Cooper/Hayes
Westbrook/Jackson/Middleton
Nared/Davis/Dunbar
Green/Harris