No DD or MR:
Green
Nared
Davis
Jackson
Westbrook

Where you putting Cooper?

Where you putting Cooper?

Off the bench right now. If she's full speed by the start of practice next year, I'd have to reconsider. If Green's not ready to go full bore, then we go small. If Green's not ready and Mercedes goes, we could be in trouble. I can't see Holly starting KK or Kamera next year.

Jackson is not a starter IMO

The two lineups I have her starting, I went with her because I think she'll be farther along defensively than Hayes, Cooper, or Middleton; and Holly likes defense. Also, bringing those other three off the bench gives us several scoring options from the backups.

If the new talent pans out early and teams have to respect outside play, Mercedes will go in the 1st round because she can dominate the inside one-on-one and will have enough help to get some quality rest during games...stay fresher....and put up some nice stats.

Russell has improved like a real boss on offense, however, she needs to be more aggressive on the defensive boards. She has displayed aggressiveness but only in spurts. I really think she needs to get over her fear of fouling. I really think she has the tools to dominate on both ends of the floor.

Russell has improved like a real boss on offense, however, she needs to be more aggressive on the defensive boards. She has displayed aggressiveness but only in spurts. I really think she needs to get over her fear of fouling. I really think she has the tools to dominate on both ends of the floor.

I would NOT say it is a "fear of fouling." The LVs simply don't have a plan B in the post. Nunn has been able to deliver some quality minutes but there is a real drop off when Mercedes is not on the court. She gives the offense a focal point and opens up space for others when she draws a double team. And there is not one else to create any resistance in the paint against opposing posts.

So, I am sure she has been instructed to play with caution. If she picks up 2 quick fouls in the first half, against many teams that would be game over.

Reactions: 1 person
I would NOT say it is a "fear of fouling." The LVs simply don't have a plan B in the post. Nunn has been able to deliver some quality minutes but there is a real drop off when Mercedes is not on the court. She gives the offense a focal point and opens up space for others when she draws a double team. And there is not one else to create any resistance in the paint against opposing posts.

So, I am sure she has been instructed to play with caution. If she picks up 2 quick fouls in the first half, against many teams that would be game over.

While I can agree with you in part, but sometimes, even in crunch time, Russell is simply not aggressive. If you look at games a second time, you can see her standing around while other Lady Vols are hitting the boards. She really does not block out very well on the defensive boards. You can be too committed to caution. If her plans are to play at the next level she has to be more aggressive. I love her offensive moves she has really improved. In reality all of the Lady Vols need to be more aggressive or we risk not making the NCAA tournament, or receive a seeding that will challenge us to even make it into the field of 32.

While I can agree with you in part, but sometimes, even in crunch time, Russell is simply not aggressive. If you look at games a second time, you can see her standing around while other Lady Vols are hitting the boards. She really does not block out very well on the defensive boards. You can be too committed to caution. If her plans are to play at the next level she has to be more aggressive. I love her offensive moves she has really improved. In reality all of the Lady Vols need to be more aggressive or we risk not making the NCAA tournament, or receive a seeding that will challenge us to even make it into the field of 32.

I agree with you on her lack of presence on the boards.

Honestly, I feel that MR is still learning how to play the game and developing some athleticism. I have feeling that she dominated in HS by virtue of being 6-6 and having a good touch around the rim. But, she came in woefully under developed in terms of strength, quickness, and overall endurance. Now her foot issues obviously had a lot to do with those limitations but on the other side, they did not appear to be limitations until she had to start matching up at the D1 level.

She has come a long way (it is odd to say but the so-called #1 recruit was a major project player). MR is still behind the curve in regard to her lateral quickness and core strength. Accordingly, she still struggles to post up against reasonable post because she can't beat them to the spot or muscle her way in. Those same limitations carry over to her problems in consistently boxing out. Yes, she can work on being more aggressive and upping her effort but she is having to work much harder than post players who possess more natural quickness. And given that she has to play major minutes, there are going to be some inevitable spells where she does pace her effort.

[I make this observation as someone who has said much of you have said and shared your frustration. Then I realized, Mercedes is probably doing all she can physically do at this point in her development process]

I noticed against Vandy, she was actually jumping a bit better and that is a great sign because that means she is developing whatever fast twitch muscles she has and is learning to make more explosive plays. If she keeps working and were to stay another season, she is likely to become a very dominant post player. [I have a feeling she will be WNBA bound but as a LV fan, I really hope to be wrong on that prediction]

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
If Westbrook is a true number One player like Geno signs then she is starting. We have no one who can run this team with talent and smarts. Remember we are not ranked so may of these freshman will play and play alot.

Honestly, I feel that MR is still learning how to play the game and developing some athleticism. I have feeling that she dominated in HS by virtue of being 6-6 and having a good touch around the rim. But, she came in woefully under developed in terms of strength, quickness, and overall endurance. Now her foot issues obviously had a lot to do with those limitation but on the other side, they did not appear to be limitations until she had to start matching up the D1 level.

She has come a long way (it is odd to say but the so-called #1 recruit was a major project player). Where MR is still lacking is in her lateral quickness and some core strength. You can see her really struggle to post up against reasonable post because she can't beat them to the spot or muscle her way in. Those same limitations carry over to her boxing out and rebounding efforts. Yes, she can work in being more aggressive and upping the effort but realize that she is having working much harder than post players who have more natural quickness. And given that she has to play major minutes there are going to be some lull spells

[I make this observation as someone who has said much of you have said and shared your frustration. Then I realized, Mercedes is probably doing all she can physically do at this point in her development process]

I noticed against Vandy, she was actually jumping a bit better and that is a great sing because that means she is developing whatever fast twitch muscles she has and learning to make more explosive plays. If she keeps working and were to stay another season, she is likely to become a very dominant post player. [I have a feeling she will be WNBA bound but as LV fan, I really hope to be wrong on that prediction]

I so agree with you on Mercedes Russell, I'm a big fan of hers. Would love to see her stay another year and get stronger and learn a few more moves. She will have more help next year if she stays. :hi:

Reactions: 2 people

Honestly, I feel that MR is still learning how to play the game and developing some athleticism. I have feeling that she dominated in HS by virtue of being 6-6 and having a good touch around the rim. But, she came in woefully under developed in terms of strength, quickness, and overall endurance. Now her foot issues obviously had a lot to do with those limitations but on the other side, they did not appear to be limitations until she had to start matching up at the D1 level.

She has come a long way (it is odd to say but the so-called #1 recruit was a major project player). MR is still behind the curve in regard to her lateral quickness and core strength. Accordingly, she still struggles to post up against reasonable post because she can't beat them to the spot or muscle her way in. Those same limitations carry over to her problems in consistently boxing out. Yes, she can work on being more aggressive and upping her effort but she is having to work much harder than post players who possess more natural quickness. And given that she has to play major minutes, there are going to be some inevitable spells where she does pace her effort.

I noticed against Vandy, she was actually jumping a bit better and that is a great sign because that means she is developing whatever fast twitch muscles she has and is learning to make more explosive plays. If she keeps working and were to stay another season, she is likely to become a very dominant post player. [I have a feeling she will be WNBA bound but as a LV fan, I really hope to be wrong on that prediction]

Madtown, since you are posting this thread, please tell everyone that all this speculations about starting lineups does not mean anything unless they receive quality coaching. Under Geno or Pat, the present lineup LVs would have a won-loss record of 19-0 or at worse, 18-1.

I'll take a stab at it.

W/ Diamond & Mercedes staying:
PG - Cooper
SG - DeShields
SF - Nared
PF - Green
C - Mercedes

No Diamond:
PG - Cooper
SG - Jackson
SF - Nared
PF - Green
C - Mercedes

No Mercedes:
PG - Cooper
SG -Jackson
SF - DeShields
PF- Nared
C - Green

No Mercedes, No Diamond:
PG - Cooper
SG - Jackson
SF - Westbrook/Davis
PF - Nared
C - Green

These ppl are crazy.. Have u guys seen Green played yet? funny everyone choosing her over most players.

I tend to agree with that statement. We need to see some game time out of Green before we put her jersey in the rafters... :)

I tend to agree with that statement. We need to see some game time out of Green before we put her jersey in the rafters... :)

Considering how many people were proclaiming Schaqila would be an upgrade to Bashaara before the season started, I agree with the "wait and see" approach as it pertains to Green.

Seeing Nunn rebound and score on ND's Turner which is something Graves could never do, I'd say she is an upgrade....

Wish she had played more against Miss St.

Seeing Nunn rebound and score on ND's Turner which is something Graves could never do, I'd say she is an upgrade....

??? So if Graves was eligible to play this year, she wouldn't be starting ?
:loco:

Graves against ND:

2016: 13 points (5-9), 10 rebounds (5 off)
2015: 22 points (10-20), 8 rebounds (6 off)
2014: 4 points (2-6), 4 rebounds (0 off)
2013: 19 points, 13 rebounds

Career average vs ND: 14.5 points, 8.7 rebounds
Career average vs. ND w/Turner: 17.5 points, 9 rebounds

Nunn in win vs. ND: 8 points (4-5), 4 rebounds (3 off).

Just saying...

Reactions: 5 people
Considering how many people were proclaiming Schaqila would be an upgrade to Bashaara before the season started, I agree with the "wait and see" approach as it pertains to Green.

To be fair Nunn has not received the playing time that Graves enjoyed and suspect she would have about the same numbers if she has played that much.

Averaging 12 minutes and scoring 4.7 ppg and 4.5 rebounds .527 FG percentage.

24 minutes that would be 9.4 and 9 and 28 minutes 11 ppg and 10.5 rebounds.

Why she hasn't played is a huge mystery her numbers when playing are far better than Middleton or Jackson. Holly has instead decided to go with one post and four perimeter players.

PG: Te'a Cooper
SG: Evina Westbrook
SF: Jaime Nared
PF: Cheridene Green
C: Mercedes Russell

To be fair Nunn has not received the playing time that Graves enjoyed and suspect she would have about the same numbers if she has played that much.

Why she hasn't played is a huge mystery her numbers when playing are far better than Middleton or Jackson. Holly has instead decided to go with one post and four perimeter players.

Volfan, Holly wants Nunn to be a backup for Russell.

Holly tried playing her alongside Mercedes and it didn't work. Schaquila can't play the high post, so that really does mostly limit her to playing as Mercedes' backup. I think that's one of the reasons that the double post strategy isn't used that often.

My point is that she's a good role player, but she's no Bashaara Graves.

VN Store

Back