Predict the East

you're laughing at the notion of south carolina or georgia winning the division, but tennessee having a chance to win the division makes complete sense

The fact that there are very, very good reasons to question EVERY teams' ability to win the East... lends a little credence to ANY conjecture about how it will fall.

Mizzou went from 5-7 to East champ. The schedule did lay out and lay down for them. They also got key guys back from injury. This year they lose most if not all of those key guys plus some.

UT gets two potential game changers back this fall in Maggitt and Saulsberry. The O should take major steps forward. The secondary will have more talent than in awhile. LB looks good. OL starters are all new but 4 have been in development for 2 or 3 years behind several guys who will play in the NFL.

If it falls just right then UT could be this year's surprise team... or it could be UF... or it could be one of the expected teams UGA or USCe. IMHO, you can pretty much write the other 3 out of it barring some miracle.

My guess for the SEC EAST in 2014

Georgia
South Carolina
Missouri
Florida
Tennessee
Kentucky
Vandy

We have too many variables to make me think we'll be higher, but I'm very confident this will be the last time we'll be in the bottom 3 for a very long time. I still expect this year to be exciting for our Vols with another big upset over someone we're not supposed to knock off and a bowl bid. 2015 should be the breakout year IMO, however I'd be more than happy for it to arrive one year early!

Reactions: 2 people
2. USC (still to much talent
No. The still have too much Spurrier. Look at their position groups then at UT's including the new comers and ask yourself honestly which you'd rather have as a coach.
and we play them there this year)

Yes. This is the other thing that weighs against the Vols. Inexperienced teams are most vulnerable on the road.

Georgia
South Carolina
Missouri
Florida
Tennessee
Kentucky
Vandy

We have too many variables to make me think we'll be higher, but I'm very confident this will be the last time we'll be in the bottom 3 for a very long time. I still expect this year to be exciting for our Vols with another big upset over someone we're not supposed to knock off and a bowl bid. 2015 should be the breakout year IMO, however I'd be more than happy for it to arrive one year early!

Please look at Mizzou's player losses and reconsider.

Reactions: 1 person

Georgia
South Carolina
Missouri
Florida
Tennessee
Kentucky
Vandy

So youre saying Vandy has 0 SEC wins this year?

For Kentucky to finish ahead of Vandy, they will have to beat Vandy and Vandy not win any other SEC games. Kentucky wont beat LSU or Miss St. That means 1 SEC win for UK and 0 for Vandy

The fact that there are very, very good reasons to question EVERY teams' ability to win the East... lends a little credence to ANY conjecture about how it will fall.

Mizzou went from 5-7 to East champ. The schedule did lay out and lay down for them. They also got key guys back from injury. This year they lose most if not all of those key guys plus some.

UT gets two potential game changers back this fall in Maggitt and Saulsberry. The O should take major steps forward. The secondary will have more talent than in awhile. LB looks good. OL starters are all new but 4 have been in development for 2 or 3 years behind several guys who will play in the NFL.

If it falls just right then UT could be this year's surprise team... or it could be UF... or it could be one of the expected teams UGA or USCe. IMHO, you can pretty much write the other 3 out of it barring some miracle.

Side note: not just key players. They spent most of 2012 with 5-7 players of their top 10 in their o-line rotation injured...so a big difference in 2013 for them was also just having an actual offensive line for the season.

Have you posted your opinion on the east yet?

Yeah. Earlier. Vols somewhere between 2 and 4. Mizzou and Vandy either 5 or 6th. UGA to win it on talent alone. UF to win or finish top 3. USCe 3rd or 4th I believe I said.

I believe he's said he thinks Missouri will be worse than Vandy and something like he expects them to lose to UK too.

That and UT like 3rd I think.

I said I would not be surprised if they lost to UK. Mizzou without any of their 3 big time WR's last year would have struggled. They have none of them now. Sam and Ealy were the biggest threats they had on D. Both are gone. I believe they lose something like 3 of 4 starting DB's plus 2 LB's. They probably have the most significant player losses in the SEC.

1. UGA and UF (tie)
3. South Carolina
4. Tennessee
5. Kentucky
6. Missouri
7. Vanderbilt (back to the cellar) :)

Seems like some people think Mizzou is a powerhouse and they will stay that way. They were 5-7 in 2012 with 2 SEC wins. Now all of the guys that lead them this year are gone.

I think this is their attrition:
Top QB
Top 2 RBs
Top 3 WRs
3 OL
7 Defensive Starters

No Franklin
No Josey
No DGB
No Sam
No Bonner
No Washington
No Gaines
No Ealy
No Wilson

Reactions: 1 person
@SethEmerson: News: Shaq Wiggins, who started as a freshman last year at cornerback, is transferring from Georgia. Details coming shortly.

Reactions: 2 people
They went 11-2 last year, we went 5-7. They have a better and more experienced defense, a more proven (not necessarily better) coach, and far more recent success than us.

Exactly. They won more games last year than we've won in two.

The only way that we ever beat Florida again is if the culture changes on the football team.

There are many, many times when we are clearly better than Florida but once we get the lead, we start to look at the score board. Once Florida makes a big play against us we lose faith. "Here we go again, we can't stop them" and we end up losing a game that we should have won.

This happens year after year after year....

Only to fans

1. UGA (play @ Arkansas & vs Auburn)
2. USCe (play vs TAMU & @ Auburn)
3a. UT (play vs Alabama & @ Ole Miss)
3b. UF (play @ Alabama & vs LSU)
5. Mizzou (play @ TAMU & vs Arkansas)
6. Vanderbilt (play vs Ole Miss & @ Miss St)
7. UK (play @ LSU & vs Miss St)

So this makes consecutive years where Vandy plays neither Bama nor Auburn nor LSU in the west? Wtmf?? The Mississippi schools?

Last edited:
So this makes consecutive years where Vandy plays neither Bama nor Auburn nor LSU in the west? Wtmf?? The Mississippi schools?

Might as well be playin Bama...cause Ole Miss is going to spank them anyways.

VN Store

Back