Prayers for Eric Berry UPDATE diagnosis is Hodgkin lymphoma

My nine year old son and I just watch the vid the Chiefs put out on EB and Inky. Very emotional time. He prays for EB almost every night. Faith of a child goes a long ways. Prayers for EB again tonight. Go Big Orange and Get well soon Eric Berry.

Reactions: 2 people
The real issue is cancer and that we still haven't found a cure.

I hope Berry gets better but not anymore than all the other cancer victims.

Disease needs to go away.

Hodgskins Lymphoma is very treatable, both by radiation and/or chemo. My brother who is nearing 80 years old was diagnosed and treated with chemo in the 1991/1992 time frame. He has been diasease free ever since! We have really been sucessful in treating this particular type cancer.[I'm referring to the medical community]

Reactions: 6 people
Hodgskins Lymphoma is very treatable, both by radiation and/or chemo. My brother who is nearing 80 years old was diagnosed and treated with chemo in the 1991/1992 time frame. He has been diasease free ever since! We have really been sucessful in treating this particular type cancer.[I'm referring to the medical community]

My brother was diagnosed circa 1970. He was treated and cured by the experimental treatments he got at the experimental hospital in Oak Ridge.
So my confidence is high for a cure for Eric.

Prayers sent.

Reactions: 1 person
The real issue is cancer and that we still haven't found a cure.

I hope Berry gets better but not anymore than all the other cancer victims.

Disease needs to go away.

Cancer is actually many diseases and there will never be a one size fits all cure.

I posted this on my Inky Johnson thread, but thought I would here as well. I heard Inky speak last weekend and he talked about Eric and how he speaks to Eric nearly every day. He said Eric was currently undergoing chemo and is doing really well. I also didn't realize that Eric wore number 29 in honor of Inky.

I highly encourage anyone that has never heard Inky Johnson speak to make sure you find out where his next speaking engagement is and take the opportunity to go and hear his story. I have heard many motivational speakers and he is the most inspirational speaker I have ever listened to. His book is a must read for any VFL. With that said, prayers of healing for EB and looking forward to seeing him back on the field with the Chiefs.

prayers sent to Eric Berry and I have no doubt he will be cured. Unfortunately that isnt always the case. There is a young lady in our area here in NC, Logan Castlebury, who has been fighting it for four years now. She is only 22. Logan played on a state title softball team at Eastern Randolph High. Sadly enough she has gotten much worse lately and the disease has attacked her central nervous system and apparently there is nothing much more they can do. Im asking prayers be sent for this young lady.

Hope someone in his fam or connected saw the HBO VICE TV special KILLING CANCER!! There are promising results on cures for several types of cancers, the difficulty lies in the over 300 types of cancer and finding an end all be all cure. Some other countries have found Cannabis Oil derivatives to be a possible cure also. Screw Radiation and Chemo, it kills your healthy cells as well as cancerous, its NOT the way to go, the death rate proves as much.

Battling cancer, Chiefs safety Eric Berry ‘doing really good,’ brother says

Berry’s younger brother Evan — a sophomore defensive back for the Tennessee Volunteers — told the media Tuesday in Knoxville that his older brother, a safety for the Chiefs, was doing well as he undergoes treatment.

“He’s doing really good,” Evan Berry told reporters. “I think he has three more treatments left. To be honest, I don’t really see it affecting him. He’s a very strong person, and he’s continued to keep strong.”

Evan Berry said he was originally worried about his other brother after he received the diagnosis late last season, but Eric remained confident he would beat it.

“It was scary,” Berry said. “But he wasn’t worried, so I wasn’t worried."

Looking forward to EB having this behind him! Great person, great football player and a great ambassador for the University of Tennessee!

I don't know much about the cancer he his fighting. I'm wondering if anyone here with experience or knowledge knows what the chances are that he gets to play again? He looks good in his pictures but I'm not familiar with what kind of toll that stuff takes on your body?

My sister survived this type of Hodgkins disease. She took about a year and a half to be declared cancer free and she went on to become an oncology nurse. The treatments were hard on her and it was a total of about 2 years before she was back to normal strength. She is not a world class athlete, so it might take longer for him to fully recover.

Cancer obviously sucks. Hodgkin's typically stays more local with less spread than Non-Hodgkin's, so Hodgkin's usually has a better prognosis. I'd say his chances are good, but obviously we can't know for sure.

My first cousin, Randy Jenkins, was a high jumper for the Vols back in the early 90's. He holds (held?) the UT record and twice (I think) won the National Championship in high jumping for us. After his college career, he was diagnosed with H disease.

He successfully defeated it, and went on to twice finish fourth at the US Olympic trials - which sucks, as fourth place is the first person who DOESN'T get to go to the Olympics, but still, epic achievement.

So, yes, elite athletes can and do defeat H and go on to have successful careers.

AV

PS. I assure you, this 5'7" white boy can't jump. Randy must have gotten his genes from my non-biological aunt.

Reactions: 3 people
Mario Lemieux defeated the disease during the 1992-1993 season. He was leading the NHL in goals and missed two months returned days after treatment and scored a goal. Pretty remarkable story. If he can do it, EB can too. I hope EB returns and wins a Super Bowl!

VN Store

Back