Powell Football

Someone said in another thread that Starters played one series in third quarter. Fulton even put in freshmen.

Agreed - that was a major ouch. Fulton definitely kept the foot on the gas longer than normal.

Powell did force a 3 and out on the 2nd or 3rd series where they had 4th and 13, so that was a moral victory.

Agreed - that was a major ouch. Fulton definitely kept the foot on the gas longer than normal.

Powell did force a 3 and out on the 2nd or 3rd series where they had 4th and 13, so that was a moral victory.

It will be interesting to see, as the season progresses, if Powell is that absolutely horrid. Fulton returned a lot of talent so they were much stronger than Powell going in, but 83 to just showing up, is worse than an embarrassment.

After hearing how the school and football coaching staff treated the former radio personnel who has done games for years. I could care less if Powell wins another game. And that's coming from an alum

I played football for Coach Allen for two years at Silverdale Baptist in Chattanooga before he left my senior year. He's a complete douche. I never liked playing for him. This beatdown doesn't surprise me a bit.

Someone tweeted something about the Fulton coaches saw a Powell coach at a scrimmage trying to steal their signals. Said this contributed to the beatdown. That is the only place I saw this. Anyone heard anything about that?

Also, I heard Fulton is unable to get a full schedule because not many teams will play them. Apparently, there is a Knox County rule that says if this is the case, the other teams in the county must accomodate them. Apparently, the county teams draw to see who has to play Fulton which is why Farragut, Bearden, and Powell have played them recently.

BTW: if Powell beat Bearden 21-0, the Dogs are going to get a beating this week.

Not true. I was at the scrimmage. The coach was not asked to leave, as some have suggested. In fact during the scrimmage coaches were on the field working with the kids. Signs were not being used. Let's face it Powell made it real easy for Fulton with 4 turnovers (and subsequent short field) and giving up 2 interception returns for touchdowns. Also, a fake punt call that did not work own its own 30 yard line. For what it's worth, Fulton ran 11 plays in the second half, all were run plays and they scored 5 touchdowns. My personal opinion is that there still is some animosity over Powell running the score up on Fulton 2 years in row when Lowe and Mobley were here.

Not true. I was at the scrimmage. The coach was not asked to leave, as some have suggested. In fact during the scrimmage coaches were on the field working with the kids. Signs were not being used. Let's face it Powell made it real easy for Fulton with 4 turnovers (and subsequent short field) and giving up 2 interception returns for touchdowns. Also, a fake punt call that did not work own its own 30 yard line. For what it's worth, Fulton ran 11 plays in the second half, all were run plays and they scored 5 touchdowns. My personal opinion is that there still is some animosity over Powell running the score up on Fulton 2 years in row when Lowe and Mobley were here.

So, why do you think that Fulton stopped using its verbal signals when the Powell coach showed up on the sidelines?

Sorry, but your version just isn't accurate.

No, he wasn't asked to leave, but it's not the standard practice of coaches in this area to show up at the scrimmage of a team they are playing and stand on the sidelines observing. That's just not very professional.

And to even believe that the game with Lowe and Mobley had anything to do with things is just neither rational nor reasonable. The two teams have already played once - last year - since that game, and Robbie called off the dogs early in that game.

Last edited:
So you're saying coaches don't hold grudges? As for a coach watching another team scrimmage, I just don't think it's that big of a deal. Heck, there is more than enough film on every team out there for a coach to watch and game plan from. I know for a fact that two "dads" showed up to watch Powell practice because I spoke with them. I am sure that what they saw at Powell's practice was relayed back to Fulton's coaches in some manner.

And what the heck is a verbal sign? Like I said I was at the scrimmage (15 minutes after it started) and walked the Fulton sideline following the game. Coach Allen was NOT on the Fulton sideline. So unless this incident took place prior to my arrival, it didn't happen while I was there, and like I said the coaches were on the field huddled with players when they made calls, just like every early season scrimmage that you will see.

After hearing how the school and football coaching staff treated the former radio personnel who has done games for years. I could care less if Powell wins another game. And that's coming from an alum

Sounds like you were told what Bill wanted to be told. I can say that what you've heard is not true. Losing the radio broadcast is not a big deal. You can't even pick the station up half the time when sitting in the high school parking lot. Somebody was making money off the broadcasts, and it wasn't the Powell football program.

I played football for Coach Allen for two years at Silverdale Baptist in Chattanooga before he left my senior year. He's a complete douche. I never liked playing for him. This beatdown doesn't surprise me a bit.

I'm guessing that you thought you were better than you actually were and he wrongly played somebody else in front of you.

The "beatdown" can be attributed to a very young team with little varsity experience. If there's a team out there playing more sophomores right now than Powell. I'd like to know who it is.

Powell may play more Sophmores, but I guarentee Central is playing just as many underclassmen as anyone. We only have 8 or 9 Seniors on our team. I dont know anything about Powell stealing Fulton's signals, but I think Head Coach's assessment is about right. Powell is a very young team with little expierence in most areas. Plus, the system this Allen guy wants to run isnt one that can be learned overnight. Im afraid that Powell is gona take some thumpings this year because idc who its against, giving up 83 pts is unacceptable. Im also starting to wonder if this guy was the right hire for Powell giving some of the negative things ive heard about him on here and elsewhere.

So you're saying coaches don't hold grudges? As for a coach watching another team scrimmage, I just don't think it's that big of a deal. Heck, there is more than enough film on every team out there for a coach to watch and game plan from. I know for a fact that two "dads" showed up to watch Powell practice because I spoke with them. I am sure that what they saw at Powell's practice was relayed back to Fulton's coaches in some manner.

And what the heck is a verbal sign? Like I said I was at the scrimmage (15 minutes after it started) and walked the Fulton sideline following the game. Coach Allen was NOT on the Fulton sideline. So unless this incident took place prior to my arrival, it didn't happen while I was there, and like I said the coaches were on the field huddled with players when they made calls, just like every early season scrimmage that you will see.

Sure coaches hold grudges, but like I said - rational and reasonable thinking would lead to the probability that if Robbie Black wanted to take a shot at Powell for something that allegedly happened years previously he would have done it last year, which was the first time the teams met after the game you referenced. It makes no sense that he would wait 3 years later when only a couple of the coaches who were part of the Matt Lowe staff are even still at Powell, and none of the players who were on the field in that game are still even at Powell.

Verbal signals - what part of that don't you understand? Your screen name says you are a football coach. You've never used verbals? Fulton does, as do a lot of high school programs.

Good thing that people are entitled to "personal opinions," key word, personal, because your opinion about 3 or 4 year old "supposed animosity," probably isn't shared by most objective people. It seems clear you are a Powell, "homer."

Good thing that people are entitled to "personal opinions," key word, personal, because your opinion about 3 or 4 year old "supposed animosity," probably isn't shared by most objective people. It seems clear you are a Powell, "homer."

This is a Powell football forum.

Powell may play more Sophmores, but I guarentee Central is playing just as many underclassmen as anyone. We only have 8 or 9 Seniors on our team. I dont know anything about Powell stealing Fulton's signals, but I think Head Coach's assessment is about right. Powell is a very young team with little expierence in most areas. Plus, the system this Allen guy wants to run isnt one that can be learned overnight. Im afraid that Powell is gona take some thumpings this year because idc who its against, giving up 83 pts is unacceptable. Im also starting to wonder if this guy was the right hire for Powell giving some of the negative things ive heard about him on here and elsewhere.

The wing-t that Powell is running is very complex to run. If you look at Allen's track record as a coach the first year or two are not good, but by year 3 or 4 things start to pick up. I agree that we are going to take a lot of losses this year. I am not sold on the wing-t. Add to that that our junior center is now out 4-6 weeks and a sophomore with no experience has to step in, things are not looking good. I personally think Allen is a good man who shows these kids a lot of love and guidance. The wing-t may work in Chattanooga but I don't think it's going to work right away in this area. How many years did Halls try to run it? Gibbs runs it about as well as any one and they backed their way into the playoffs last year because Powell couldn't win a game down the stretch. Good luck to Central this year. I am hearing a lot of good things about your new coach.

I'm guessing that you thought you were better than you actually were and he wrongly played somebody else in front of you.

The "beatdown" can be attributed to a very young team with little varsity experience. If there's a team out there playing more sophomores right now than Powell. I'd like to know who it is.
Actually sir, I was a starting cornerback and wide receiver for Silverdale the two years he was there. It had nothing to do with playing time, but it had everything to do with his arrogant personality and the way he treated us players. Definitely not a players coach. I'll leave it at that.

Actually sir, I was a starting cornerback and wide receiver for Silverdale the two years he was there. It had nothing to do with playing time, but it had everything to do with his arrogant personality and the way he treated us players. Definitely not a players coach. I'll leave it at that.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with him. Maybe he has matured as a coach. He has not been that way thus far at Powell. He has been a pretty strict disciplinarian though, such as sending kids home if they are a minute or two late for workouts or practice.

Sounds like you were told what Bill wanted to be told. I can say that what you've heard is not true. Losing the radio broadcast is not a big deal. You can't even pick the station up half the time when sitting in the high school parking lot. Somebody was making money off the broadcasts, and it wasn't the Powell football program.

I do not agree that it isn't a big deal at all. Bill brought a ton of exposure to the program and did a lot for Powell Football. Granted the radio reception was terrible, but I for one was sad to see him go. The kids loved the Hawg of the week, player of the game, being interviewed on the radio after the games, etc. Hopefully some of the traditions will continue, but without Bill behind the scenes we'll see. I haven't heard any announcements about players of the game for last week - have you?

Last edited:
People loved listening to Bill. I for one always enjoyed listening to post game interviews and what the players and coaches had to say. Yes you couldn't get great reception most of the time but not getting it sitting in the high school parking lot is a bit of a reach IMO.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back