Potpourri

16 visits to the chiropractor and physical therapy later my back is still a mess. Going to give it a rest for now and quit with the bone cracker doc stuff. Leaving it up to the Good Lord to heal or not.

So just Bye week babble:
Best female singer popular by era
Etta James
Barbra Streisand
Whitney Houston
Adele/Kelly Clarkson

I considered Beyoncé too but she is a more a complete entertainer (does it all) as opposed to Adele who just shifts her weight from side to side.

If anyone is upset this is on LV News feel free to move to Potpourri. I just put it here since more folks visit this thread.

Thoughts?

So just Bye week babble:
Etta James
Barbra Streisand
Whitney Houston
Adele/Kelly Clarkson

I considered Beyoncé too but she is a more a complete entertainer (does it all) as opposed to Adele who just shifts her weight from side to side.

If anyone is upset this is on LV News feel free to move to Potpourri. I just put it here since more folks visit this thread.

Thoughts?
Doris Day

In 2008, she received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award as well as a Legend Award from the Society of Singers. In 2011, she was awarded the Los Angeles Film Critics Association's Career Achievement Award. In 2011, Day released her 29th studio album, My Heart, which contained new material and became a UK Top 10 album. As of 2020, she was one of eight recording artists to have been the top box-office earner in the United States four times.[1][2]

She began her career as a big band singer in 1939, achieving commercial success in 1945 with two No. 1 recordings, "Sentimental Journey" and "My Dreams Are Getting Better All the Time" with Les Brown and His Band of Renown. She left Brown to embark on a solo career and recorded more than 650 songs from 1947 to 1967.

Last edited:
Doris Day

In 2008, she received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award as well as a Legend Award from the Society of Singers. In 2011, she was awarded the Los Angeles Film Critics Association's Career Achievement Award. In 2011, Day released her 29th studio album, My Heart, which contained new material and became a UK Top 10 album. As of 2020, she was one of eight recording artists to have been the top box-office earner in the United States four times.[1][2]

She began her career as a big band singer in 1939, achieving commercial success in 1945 with two No. 1 recordings, "Sentimental Journey" and "My Dreams Are Getting Better All the Time" with Les Brown and His Band of Renown. She left Brown to embark on a solo career and recorded more than 650 songs from 1947 to 1967.
Wow!! I didn’t think of her. Gonna pull her up on Spotify! I need to add her to my American standards play list!! Thanks!
Not part of this ranking but Nat King Cole just came up on Sirius singing Unforgettable. Good god what a voice!

Last edited:
Wow!! I didn’t think of her. Gonna pull her up on Spotify! I need to add her to my American standards play list!! Thanks!
Not part of this ranking but Nat King Cole just came up on Sirius singing Unforgettable. Good god what a voice!
If I could have the singing voice of my choice, it would be either Nat King Cole or Bobby Hatfield.

So just Bye week babble:
Etta James
Barbra Streisand
Whitney Houston
Adele/Kelly Clarkson

Thoughts?

For me it’s

Aretha
Aretha
Whitney
Mariah (she owned the early 2000s)
Kelly (she kills everything she does right now. What a gift)

Aretha will always be vocal queen for me though. The way she interpreted music, especially when playing the piano and singing is second to none. Her high belts in the 60s, 70s and early 80s were to die for.

Last edited:
Love Dionne Warwick voice and music.

Ethel Merman - Great Broadway star singing Broadway musicals

Billie Holiday - jazz

Reactions: Lucy
Aretha is a little too screamy for me. Same reason I don't care for Whitney Houston. I do love Aretha's Son of a Preacher Man and Never Loved a Man. Fun fact: Duane Allman played guitar on some of those songs for her during her Muscle Shoals sessions. I recently visited that studio, what a history!

For female soul singers, my faves are in the waaayyy back machine. Mary Wells, Tami Terrell, Gladys Horton (Marvelettes) and Darlene Love. Then there's my beloved Florence Ballard, the founder of the Supremes, who Berry Gordy and Diana Ross destroyed in one of the worst workplace romance scandals (before such things were recognized) of all times. Cannot look at Ross without venom to this day.

Been too long since I visited this site, apologize to the dude….here is a great folk song/love song from back in the day by Phoebe Snow, absolutely puts you into a nice mellow mood every time you hear it, …..enjoy @glv98
know you like folk, even Yankee folk 😉 sublime….

Last edited:

VN Store

Back