Possible Replacement For Serrano?

It just puts him and the program in limbo, the '17 kids have no idea whether he will be here or not...needs to be at least two years or it may hurt more than it helps.

Of course, Coach and son would be able to finish what they started while the Board tries to figure out what to do with Dave. I guess.

Honestly as far out as recruiting is these days it really doesn't matter IMO.

The 2017 class has been passed over and finished long ago from the schools that could beat us in recruiting. Most sec schools are full in 17 and well into the 18/19 classes now

Vandy is well into `19....UF has 2...no one else in the East has any for '19...but your point for '17 makes the point for me....we can't have all of 2016 and 2017 be limbo years where there is no certainty in who the coach will be...well we can...and the next coach can try to overcome it in 2 or 3 years which is a tough row to hoe.

And actually, as far as the '18 east teams go, it's the same scenario...we may be little behind there but nothing that can't be made up.

Last edited:
Vandy is well into `19....UF has 2...no one else in the East has any for '19...but your point for '17 makes the point for me....we can't have all of 2016 and 2017 be limbo years where there is no certainty in who the coach will be...well we can...and the next coach can try to overcome it in 2 or 3 years which is a tough row to hoe.

The new coach will have to go almost exclusively juco for a year or so OR recruit
Committed kids from other schools which is very very rare in baseball

Sure looks like it...A guy like Hart firing a guy like Serrano...it's kind of unbearable, really.

I just don't get the disdain for Hart or the dismissive attitude towards his skill set. The guy ran the FSU AD for 15 years in the heyday of their football run and probably their best baseball years. Granted he didn't hire Bowden or Martin but he's been around success his entire career.

@JBrownPG: #Tennessee lands a big one for 2018 class in MIF Jarrett Ford. Full of fast-twitch, short/compact swing w/ BS. #53 per @PerfectGameUSA #GBO

I just don't get the disdain for Hart or the dismissive attitude towards his skill set. The guy ran the FSU AD for 15 years in the heyday of their football run and probably their best baseball years. Granted he didn't hire Bowden or Martin but he's been around success his entire career.

It's exactly what he did at FSU...the lawsuits, the NCAA stuff...had Tyndall not gotten caught before he got started it could have been EXACTLY the same scenario.

What exactly is the skill set that you admire or are pleased with?

selected text from Kendall Rogers article today on D1 Baseball.com........

Navigating SEC Excruciating For Some

HOOVER, Ala. — Sometimes situations just don’t go as planned, or perhaps some extra, unwanted, patience is needed.

When Tennessee parted ways with coach Todd Raleigh six years ago, you couldn’t have come up with a hotter name to hire than Dave Serrano. Serrano was a former Vols assistant, led UC Irvine to the College World Series and was having success with Cal State Fullerton before heading to Tennessee to partake in the challenge of his coaching career...

...The same path was traveled by Georgia just a few years later. After parting ways with long-time head coach Dave Perno back in 2013 after not making the postseason two-straight years, the Bulldogs went out and made a splash hire with the addition of Scott Stricklin. Stricklin, who had some Georgia roots, was one of the hottest names in college baseball. He led Kent State to the CWS in 2012 with a 47-20 overall record and followed up that campaign with a very respectable showing in 2013 before heading to Athens, Ga., for a bout with the SEC.

He, like Serrano, was supposed to turn the tide of the program, with many expecting it to be done in short order.

Now, two of the game’s better coaches are struggling to find their way in the SEC, with plenty of rumblings out there that Serrano might be on his way out at Tennessee, while others in Georgia are left wondering if Stricklin will ever get things turned around despite his impeccable pedigree.

Such is life in the SEC....

...“I think recruiting in baseball goes back a little bit now, and kids that are freshmen in high school are already committing. So, we’re going to see some guys we recruited when we got here show up next year,”...

...“Patience is a dirty word for coaches and most certainly fans,”...

...But navigating out of the SEC cellar won’t be easy, even for Stricklin. Missouri coach Tim Jamieson established a very good reputation when his program was in the Big 12 Conference. But things have been an absolute nightmare since the Tigers moved to the SEC. In the decade before moving conferences, the Tigers reached the NCAA postseason eight times. But since the move back in 2013, Missouri hasn’t won more than 29 games and has finished fifth or worse in the SEC East three of four seasons, including a sixth place finish this season with a 9-21 league record...

...The issue that arises while you’re trying to get out of the cellar is the mere fact that those teams in front of you are investing more resources into their programs and are getting even better. Just this season, seven SEC teams have won 18 or more conference games. Eighteen or more. Think about that for a second...

I read that to mean "more" as in "continuously". Not necessarily more as in a greater number than their competition but that they're not merely staying idle. You've posted the numbers and you can see that State invests/spends little more than we do and they're probably the #2 program in this league over the span of history. Why can they win on $2.3m and we can't on $2.2m? I won't pretend that it doesn't play a role, I just don't think it's this overwhelming factor.

I believe Hart gives the vote of confidence. Typically the news breaks from someone leaking. An overzealous booster, player or assistant coaches friend or something. The fact that we only know of a presser with not knowing whats to be said makes me feel Serrano will be back and that is something Im good with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I read that to mean "more" as in "continuously". Not necessarily more as in a greater number than their competition but that they're not merely staying idle. You've posted the numbers and you can see that State invests/spends little more than we do and they're probably the #2 program in this league over the span of history. Why can they win on $2.3m and we can't on $2.2m? I won't pretend that it doesn't play a role, I just don't think it's this overwhelming factor.

MSU also averages 8,000 fans per game and hit 10,000+ fans 8 times. 15,000 came to one of the Texas A&M games. That resonates with recruits, as does the long history of success and tradition there.

MSU also averages 8,000 fans per game and hit 10,000+ fans 8 times. 15,000 came to one of the Texas A&M games. That resonates with recruits, as does the long history of success and tradition there.

'Bout time you showed up...What promises were made to CDS that were not kept? TIA

It's exactly what he did at FSU...the lawsuits, the NCAA stuff...had Tyndall not gotten caught before he got started it could have been EXACTLY the same scenario.

What exactly is the skill set that you admire or are pleased with?

I won't pretend to know the skill sets of AD's as its not my field of expertise. However, we're in a much better situation financially. His merging and streamlining of the men's and women's AD was a solid move IMO. Again, I won't pretend to be privy to the inner workings of all that but it was ridiculous having two separate Directors and departments. We were 1 of only 2-3 schools I believe who had that setup and I don't think it was necessary and neither did Hart.

I see no way in which he was supposed to know about Tyndall's transgressions at USM. There was no investigation at the time of hire, no mention of possible wrongdoing and he says he consulted with the NCAA during the vetting process and was led to believe he was clean. Because I'm not in Hart's office to know if he really talked to the NCAA or not, I take him at his word that he did and felt things were good to go.

I realize that, so blame our fans for not turning out. They've proven they can create a tradition of winning without spending an assload of money, which is the point. Meanwhile, Auburn is spending at an elite level, in relation to the conference, is in a better baseball climate and can't even get to Hoover.

I won't pretend to know the skill sets of AD's as its not my field of expertise. However, we're in a much better situation financially. His merging and streamlining of the men's and women's AD was a solid move IMO. Again, I won't pretend to be privy to the inner workings of all that but it was ridiculous having two separate Directors and departments. We were 1 of only 2-3 schools I believe who had that setup and I don't think it was necessary and neither did Hart.

I see no way in which he was supposed to know about Tyndall's transgressions at USM. There was no investigation at the time of hire, no mention of possible wrongdoing and he says he consulted with the NCAA during the vetting process and was led to believe he was clean. Because I'm not in Hart's office to know if he really talked to the NCAA or not, I take him at his word that he did and felt things were good to go.

On your first point, his absolute bungling of the Lady Vols situation coupled with the lawsuits of Jennings, Moshak, Mason and Schlosser, all of which were settled BTW...is the normal cost of doing business for him...In addition, his time at FSU was scrutinized for his inability to handle rape allegations and that his athletic department didn't communicate effectively with the rest of the departments on campus...which is exactly the principle issue in the Federal Lawsuit we now face.

To your second point, you'd have to be a complete idiot to not be able to see Tyndall was a fraud based on what happened at Morehead State...but if you just took the time to look at the roster at USM, the question would have been asked...how did these kids get on campus, get into school...should have been a huge red flag...but Hart already had egg on his face for losing out on Michael White over a 6th year...which he ended up giving to Tyndall anyway...because he let's lawyers deal with those things.

Reactions: 2 people
I realize that, so blame our fans for not turning out. They've proven they can create a tradition of winning without spending an assload of money, which is the point. Meanwhile, Auburn is spending at an elite level, in relation to the conference, is in a better baseball climate and can't even get to Hoover.

The difference being, Mississippi State has a 30+ year tradition of being an excellent baseball program. They didn't "create" anything, they built up over decades.

I am not blaming our fans for not turning out, our stadium can't even hold that many fans. My point is, there are a lot of factors at play, it isn't just one thing at anyone school.

Auburn has been spending at a high level for about three years. They made a terrible coaching hire, then had to get someone in emergency when they had to fire the terrible coaching hire in the fall.

The difference being, Mississippi State has a 30+ year tradition of being an excellent baseball program. They didn't "create" anything, they built up over decades.

I am not blaming our fans for not turning out, our stadium can't even hold that many fans. My point is, there are a lot of factors at play, it isn't just one thing at anyone school.

Auburn has been spending at a high level for about three years. They made a terrible coaching hire, then had to get someone in emergency when they had to fire the terrible coaching hire in the fall.

Golloway was a terrible hire? He made the field 8x in 9 years at OU with 4 appearances in the Supers or beyond.

And our fans need to be blamed, I'm not expecting 8,000 when LNS sits 4500. I'm not being a dick but I don't need the dimensions of LNS; I attended UT and was in the stadium more times than not while in school. It is not unreasonable for us to expect to draw 3k with regularity. We're in a top 4 population market in this league, yet can't can't draw half of what the MS schools can in towns 100 miles from nowhere and populations less than 20k.

Last edited:
Golloway was a terrible hire? He made the field 8x in 9 years at OU with 4 appearances in the Supers or beyond.

And our fans need to be blamed, I'm not expecting 8,000 when LNS sits 4500. I'm not being a dick but I don't need the dimensions of LNS; I attended UT and was in the stadium more times than not while in school. It is not unreasonable for us to expect to draw 3k with regularity. We're in a top 4 population market in this league, yet can't can't draw half of what the MS schools can in towns 100 miles from nowhere and populations less than 20k.

I don't think Galloway's problems are W's and L's. The lawsuit going on vs. Auburn is the problem.

On your first point, his absolute bungling of the Lady Vols situation coupled with the lawsuits of Jennings, Moshak, Mason and Schlosser, all of which were settled BTW...is the normal cost of doing business for him...In addition, his time at FSU was scrutinized for his inability to handle rape allegations and that his athletic department didn't communicate effectively with the rest of the departments on campus...which is exactly the principle issue in the Federal Lawsuit we now face.

To your second point, you'd have to be a complete idiot to not be able to see Tyndall was a fraud based on what happened at Morehead State...but if you just took the time to look at the roster at USM, the question would have been asked...how did these kids get on campus, get into school...should have been a huge red flag...but Hart already had egg on his face for losing out on Michael White over a 6th year...which he ended up giving to Tyndall anyway...because he let's lawyers deal with those things.

Bunch of hens who weren't going to have free run anymore and didn't like the idea of working for a man. Trimmed the fat.

30 players at Morehead and literally every player he recruited at USM. The softball team still call themselves Lady Vols. It was stupid and shortsighted and again, it's not me saying his contract won't be and hasn't been extended.

DP12, you posted a couple things on multiple boards and maybe you hoped no one would question it...maybe you can't comment...but when I read those comments I came to some conclusions that might be wrong...thus, I'm asking questions.

It isn't fair to say Coach Serrano was promised things he wasn't given without saying what those things were, better to keep it to yourself, No?

Maybe I am reading too deep into this but I find it alittle odd with an 11am presser that we took a commitment last night unless either the staff knows nothing of their future or knows they are coming back

If they knew they were done I would have assumed they would have said for the kid to hold off a few more days.

Jmo

DP12, you posted a couple things on multiple boards and maybe you hoped no one would question it...maybe you can't comment...but when I read those comments I came to some conclusions that might be wrong...thus, I'm asking questions.

It isn't fair to say Coach Serrano was promised things he wasn't given without saying what those things were, better to keep it to yourself, No?

He was made promises regarding facilities and other spending on the sport that never materialized. He was assured that those things would still be coming after his second year when he turned down a significant offer from another school.

30 players at Morehead and literally every player he recruited at USM. The softball team still call themselves Lady Vols. It was stupid and shortsighted and again, it's not me saying his contract won't be and hasn't been extended.

The Lady Vols thing is dumb IMO. You want to be treated the same and not singled out yet won't give up a name. Almost everyone in the SEC gets called Lady---- but it's not their official name and that's the way it should be.

Again, the Tyndall stuff you say from a hindsight viewpoint. The Morehead violations had been self reported and sanctions self-imposed. The NCAA accepted those sanctions, which were pretty minimal and thus fit the crime. Tyndall was a snake and we all know that now, but no one can pretend to to know they were aware of all his dealings and how things would turn out. Hart either got played by his references or his references thought everything was on the up as well.

Maybe I am reading too deep into this but I find it alittle odd with an 11am presser that we took a commitment last night unless either the staff knows nothing of their future or knows they are coming back

If they knew they were done I would have assumed they would have said for the kid to hold off a few more days.

Jmo

This does seem a little odd, but sometimes the offer is made earlier and the kid thinks about it awhile and then announces on his own schedule. My guess is that he was offered on a visit during the LSU weekend and just now decided. May be poor timing on his part.

VN Store

Back