Possible 9-4 season and still unhappy fans!

Well genius boy, he put the team in position to win those games most of which weren't even competitive last year like the Oklahoma and Alabama games. Yet, he only gets the blame for losing a close game. You criticize any and every decision he makes.

Close enough award?

Great job, sir...

Reactions: 2 people
I am looking at the AP top 25 and there are at least three teams we could beat right now.

Unhappy or unsatisfied?

Last year UT faced only two teams that finished with less than 7 wins. UT beat both of those teams. This year... UT will have faced 5 or 6 teams with less than 7 wins and will have beaten all of them depending on what Arkansas does.

Jones' performance this year like the previous two wasn't an "A". It wasn't a "B" either. This was an 8 win team against this schedule and he won 8... though MU, UGA, and USCe weren't as good as expected.

Reactions: 3 people
It amazes me that this team is likely to finish 9-4 counting a bowl win...and we will still have some unhappy fans! We will have a certain percentage of fans that will instinctively focus on the "we could've/should've won this or that game" instead of appreciating this program's progress and accomplishments! There are one or two plays in a game that can determine it's outcome. Unfortunately we didn't catch every break this year...THAT'S FOOTBALL!!! To you Negavols...please jump ship...jump on somebody else's 11-1 or 12-0 bandwagon...but don't ever confuse yourself with a true Volunteer fan. This team and coaching staff have shown a TON of heart, effort, dedication, and most of all PROGRESS!!! I'm very proud of our team and coaches who give their all for Tennessee everyday! GO VOLS!!!

History shows that if a HC doesn't show significant success in his first three seasons, it ain't gonna happen. We'll see with CBJ.

Reactions: 4 people
The wins are great, it's just the fact that this team is still making it look ugly. Our last 3 games have probably been the least exciting 3-game win streak I've ever seen.

Reactions: 1 person
What coach are you speaking to exactly? Correct me if I am wrong but I am not familiar with the screen name of Butch Jones so all it amounts to is incessant whining and constant complaining to no one in particular.

To be fair, you sound like you are whining exponentially more.....

I don't really see how anyone can be unhappy. I was as upset about the blown leads as anyone but when you consider that we took Alabama to the brink on their own backyard I would say the signs of progress are obvious.

Especially when you consider that Bama will likely be playing for a national title this year if not winning it.

But do we have any quality wins?

If you were a fan of another team, you would be saying "who have they beat"

Were better, yeah. But our opponents are down also. Though we did play our loses close. We still ain't beat anyone.
Just saying

Reactions: 4 people
People are rightfully disappointed because of the way we lost. I predicted a 10-2 regular season and I would have been right if Butch was as good as I thought he was. He's got some improvements he has to make. I still like Butch and I hope he's here a long time but he needs to be a better in game coach. I also think Dobbs has regressed as a passer and right or wrong I blame Debord for it. We're all pleased and acknowledge that progress is being made but the problem is this team hasn't played to its potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
We have lost 11 straight to uf. The way we lost this season's game should still piss everyone off. We Had no business losing the uf or Arkansas games this season. Also losing the way we have to uf, ark, and ou makes you wonder a lot of things about this staff. I see improvement with the players, but still not seeing it with the coaching staff. We are lucky uscjr fumbled on their last drive or things would be very different. I'm not a negavol, I'm behind this team 100%, bandwagon fans left years ago, but I'm not sold on butch or this staff yet.

People are rightfully disappointed because of the way we lost. I predicted a 10-2 regular season and I would have been right if Butch was as good as I thought he was. He's got some improvements he has to make. I still like Butch and I hope he's here a long time but he needs to be a better in game coach. I also think Dobbs has regressed as a passer and right or wrong I blame Debord for it. We're all pleased and acknowledge that progress is being made. The problem is this team hasn't played to its potential.
Nice post, I feel the same way.

You know what our two biggest rivals would call that?

A down season.

All true, but when you're coming from the depths we've been 9-4 is an oasis. It's all relative. We had some really talented teams to only win 9 games in the heyday of the 90s. People act like we only recently began losing to UF.

That said, it is absolutely fair to criticize the coaches for the manner in which games have been lost. Just don't ignore the obvious progress that has been made at the same time.

VN Store

Back