Poll: Do you think Tennessee should retain Serrano?

Should Tennessee retain Serrano

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Whats it matter if people don't post in the baseball forum all the time? Does that make you a better fan a baseball fan than me? Is there an unwritten rule that everytime there is ballgame on, I gotta sit a comment after every pitch? I sit and watch as many games as I can see, or the ones they have on tv, but I don't think that makes you better than me or anyone. Nor do I feel the need to comment after every game, pitch, swing, or whatever.. The was a question asked. And I answered. Get over yourself.

It matters because some people only come on here and voice an opinion like they know everything after a loss. It's the same with the news articles posted on Facebook and other sites. They only post after the losses (or in this case to whine about the coach) but are nowhere to be found when they win. So that's pretty telling.

Reactions: 1 person
Whats it matter if people don't post in the baseball forum all the time? Does that make you a better fan a baseball fan than me? Is there an unwritten rule that everytime there is ballgame on, I gotta sit a comment after every pitch? I sit and watch as many games as I can see, or the ones they have on tv, but I don't think that makes you better than me or anyone. Nor do I feel the need to comment after every game, pitch, swing, or whatever.. The was a question asked. And I answered. Get over yourself.

I didn't say anything about posting "all the time" or "everytime" (sic) or commenting on every game.

I didn't even suggest casual fans or even non-fans couldn't or shouldn't vote in the poll.

I didn't say anything about who is a better fan, and I really don't care who is or might be the best fan. Paint yourself orange and go streaking in Tuscaloosa. Be the best fan ever. My comment had nothing to do with that.

I made the comment because Serrano's status has been thoroughly discussed here for several years, and a small handful of people have established that they a) care about UT baseball and b) know something about it.

When these people post, I read what they write and consider it. I don't always agree, but their opinion matters to me and I keep an open mind that they may be right when I'm not.

However, when people who have never established that they know anything about the subject or even care about baseball decide to click a vote button just because, well, dammit, they always click on vote buttons, I feel no obligation to assign any weight to the poll.

I was commenting on the general uselessness of online polls.

So I'm very impressed with your defiant, tough guy response to what you thought I was saying, but you didn't understand my point.

Reactions: 2 people
I think one has to analyze why the team/program is struggling. One assumes it is a talent issue--meaning recruiting is the problem. What the talent look like for next year or the next couple of years? Is it encouraging or not so much? UT is not an easy school to recruit to for baseball--we've seen that. We've haven't had a lot of success, there is a TON of competition throughout the region. It's really all about finding better pitching and winning more close games. A hard call as he's had success in the past and seems like a stand up man; what little I know of him, I like.

I think one has to analyze why the team/program is struggling. One assumes it is a talent issue--meaning recruiting is the problem. What the talent look like for next year or the next couple of years? Is it encouraging or not so much? UT is not an easy school to recruit to for baseball--we've seen that. We've haven't had a lot of success, there is a TON of competition throughout the region. It's really all about finding better pitching and winning more close games. A hard call as he's had success in the past and seems like a stand up man; what little I know of him, I like.

This year, losing a .400 hitter about 15 games in, 3 pitchers, and the starting shortstop for 12 games in the middle of the season did not help at all.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't watch many baseball games and only been to a couple over the years. I find softball more interesting since it is a faster game and we have such a machine going over there. Would I watch more baseball if we had a better program? Probably a little more. But I find the games slow and boring. I don't want to watch a pitcher throw over to first base seven times in between his spits. But, I have noticed our athletes have gotten a little better. There are actually three or four that look like SEC caliber athletes. In Raleigh's day there might have been one. There is still a large disparity though between us and most SEC programs. Ole Miss comes in here and they look like they have studs all up and down the line-up. So, I don't think there is going to be a quick turn around.

Perfect Game USA - World's Largest Baseball Scouting Service

You will notice that the 2016 class is ranked 17th. If you look over to the far right column, you'll notice the number 5.13 for average player. As you look up that column, you'll notice that we are lower than the 16 teams ahead of us which suggests that we are ranked 17 because of the sheer size of the class. We'll probably lose at least two of the highly ranked kids to the draft, arguably...that will drop the player average and we'll be out of the top 25 most likely when all is said and done.

I like Coach Serrano a lot...seems like everyone agrees on that.

One more year.

What the heck do you expect to happen next year? Another run at maybe getting to Hoover? Do you see a top 5 class coming in? We lose all our top hitters. We have very little pitching. What does it take to wake some people up. Go winless? Would that convince you then?

What the heck do you expect to happen next year? Another run at maybe getting to Hoover? Do you see a top 5 class coming in? We lose all our top hitters. We have very little pitching. What does it take to wake some people up. Go winless? Would that convince you then?

Most people don't have faith that we will hire someone to do any better.

Most people don't have faith that we will hire someone to do any better.

What is happening now isn't exactly working out. The last 5 years haven't been any better than the 4 that preceded them.

That old saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results being the definition of insanity comes to mind about now.

There is no way not making a change can be justified using any reasonable and rational line of thinking.

What is happening now isn't exactly working out. The last 5 years haven't been any better than the 4 that preceded them.

That old saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results being the definition of insanity comes to mind about now.

There is no way not making a change can be justified using any reasonable and rational line of thinking.

One change isn't going to fix much. There has to be more than just the head coach changed or we aren't going to see much improvement. I'm not arguing to keep Serrano either.

Reactions: 1 person

Flat out wrong, it was just stated. If you bring in a guy that's another Todd Raleigh, we will actually get worse. You can sit there and say "Meh we already suck", but we actually can make the program worse.

If the decision was based solely on W/L then yes, he should be let go. But it's not just based solely on that. The discussions about the baseball situation have been taking place here and it's clearly not just whoever is coaching.

The decision is way bigger than just W/L.

flat out wrong, it was just stated. If you bring in a guy that's another todd raleigh, we will actually get worse. You can sit there and say "meh we already suck", but we actually can make the program worse.

If the decision was based solely on w/l then yes, he should be let go. But it's not just based solely on that. The discussions about the baseball situation have been taking place here and it's clearly not just whoever is coaching.

The decision is way bigger than just w/l.

boom.

And FTR, I'm not crazy about the job Serrano has done; I'm not even saying he definitely should keep his job, I'm just saying it's not as cut and dry as "dude can't win".

Watching the various coaching changes we've gone through the past 7 years in 3 sports has made me way more patient about calling for heads to roll.

And FTR, I'm not crazy about the job Serrano has done; I'm not even saying he definitely should keep his job, I'm just saying it's not as cut and dry as "dude can't win".

Watching the various coaching changes we've gone through the past 7 years in 3 sports has made me way more patient about calling for heads to roll.

I'm with ya...and I believe some things are going to happen in the near future that make this a bad time to be making a new hire in any sport.

Serrano had pretty much agreed to things with Hamilton, he was out, Cronan signed off, and what ever promises made walked out the door when she left.

I've had mixed feelings about what we should do, I still do but if changes are going to be made at the chancellor level and the board is not going to re up Hart...that just makes things...unsettling.

Last edited:
Flat out wrong, it was just stated. If you bring in a guy that's another Todd Raleigh, we will actually get worse. You can sit there and say "Meh we already suck", but we actually can make the program worse.

If the decision was based solely on W/L then yes, he should be let go. But it's not just based solely on that. The discussions about the baseball situation have been taking place here and it's clearly not just whoever is coaching.

The decision is way bigger than just W/L.

You just contradicted yourself using the Raleigh comparison.

Serrano hasn't move the needle one iota over what Raleigh's 4 years had produced. And Serrano has gotten one more year than Raleigh had to get it turned around, and he hasn't done so. And at this level, Ws and Ls are the bottom line, no matter how "nice of a guy" one may be.

The "who are you gonna get" argument is irrelevant. It's all about producing results, and Serrano hasn't. It's time to move on to somebody else.

So try again - using reason and logic and less emotion, why should Serrano be retained?

Last edited:
You just contradicted yourself using the Raleigh comparison.

Serrano hasn't move the needle one iota over what Raleigh's 4 years had produced. And Serrano has gotten one more year than Raleigh had to get it turned around, and he hasn't done so. And at this level, Ws and Ls are the bottom line, no matter how "nice of a guy" one may be.

The "who are you gonna get" argument is irrelevant. It's all about producing results, and Serrano hasn't. It's time to move on to somebody else.

So try again - using reason and logic and less emotion, why should Serrano be retained?

It seemed pretty clear to me he responded with some logic and not based only on emotion, especially since he said that he is not a fan of what Serrano has done. If you follow baseball, you know more than just coaching need some changes at UT.

To me, this kind of reminds me when Tommy West was fired at Memphis. He had an open mic at his PC, and it allowed him to vent and rant about the dedication, support, money, and facilities needed to run a successful D1 football program. It didn't happen overnight, but Memphis folks point to that as the beginning of a change in Memphis football.

What people are saying is that one person isn't going to change the culture. You can plug in a new coach, and things will stay the same. There are many wholesale changes that need to be made in order for this to get back on track.

It seemed pretty clear to me he responded with some logic and not based only on emotion, especially since he said that he is not a fan of what Serrano has done. If you follow baseball, you know more than just coaching need some changes at UT.

To me, this kind of reminds me when Tommy West was fired at Memphis. He had an open mic at his PC, and it allowed him to vent and rant about the dedication, support, money, and facilities needed to run a successful D1 football program. It didn't happen overnight, but Memphis folks point to that as the beginning of a change in Memphis football.

What people are saying is that one person isn't going to change the culture. You can plug in a new coach, and things will stay the same. There are many wholesale changes that need to be made in order for this to get back on track.

Yeah, kind of been following college baseball closely since I played in the late 70s.

So, again, how is it logical or reasonable to give Serrano a pass and keep him when his results have been pretty much the same as Raleigh's and having no issues with Raleigh being fired?

That just doesn't make any sense.

One person by himself alone may not "change the culture", but the head coach certainly does go a long way towards bringing in those who do change the direction of the program.

Nope, we don't know who may be hired (although there are some names out there that have some credibility) or if they will be able to be successful. But what we do know is that the last 5 years have been a complete discombobulation. Not to go in a different direction would be a statement that baseball doesn't matter at UT.

Last edited:
Yeah, kind of been following college baseball closely since I played in the mid 70s.

So, again, how is it logical or reasonable to give Serrano a pass and keep him when his results have been pretty much the same as Raleigh's and having no issues with Raleigh being fired?

That just doesn't make any sense.

One person by himself alone may not "change the culture", but the head coach certainly does go a long way towards bringing in those who do change the direction of the program.

Nope, we don't know who may be hired (although there are some names out there that have some credibility) or if they will be able to be successful. But what we do know is that the last 5 years have been a complete discombobulation. Not to go in a different direction would be a statement that baseball doesn't matter at UT.

Last 10 years.

Can anyone name a college baseball coach who led his team to five consecutive years at or near the bottom of a power conference and subsequently led his team to sustained respectability in the same conference?

After a few years, it gets a lot harder to convince recruits that you're the solution.

Can anyone name a college baseball coach who led his team to five consecutive years at or near the bottom of a power conference and subsequently led his team to sustained respectability in the same conference?

After a few years, it gets a lot harder to convince recruits that you're the solution.

Exactly

When a losing mindset sets in for this long a change must be made. Doesn't matter why it happens or who's fault it just the fact of the matter

VN Store

Back